Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on 1st Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advice on 1st Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_5700
This is what I'd buy on your budget: https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f7...016-93834.html

Just make sure you get the correct size frame. Use an online fitting app to assist.
He would have to shipping to the US which would add anout $120
Old 09-01-16, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LGHT
The op wants a new bike because his current bike is too heavy. Ok great what's better a heavier aluminum bike that weights 20-22lbs or a lighter carbon bike that weighs 16-18lbs. Giants only give you bang for the buck if your comparing full retail which only a small few actually pay. Most people like myself on a budget will wait for the closeout sale, a deal, or better yet buy last years model because the new 2017's are on the way and pay 40% of retail and actually get BETTER bike with Ultegra instead of 105 components. Disk brakes are a fad and marketing ploy to get you to pay more for something you don't need. Pass on the disks and get a better bike that has better components, is lighter, and will costs you less.

Or you can maintain your relationship with the Giant shop that sold you a tank to begin with end up with a horrible deal, heavy bike with entry level components and pay more for it.
Nothing against encouraging people to be thrifty, but full retail is not necessarily a "horrible deal" just because the dollar figure is higher than what one would pay for an "as is" bike out of someone's garage. Besides, somebody's gotta do it - may as well be the OP here.
Old 09-01-16, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asiantrick
New bike won't help you if you're getting dropped on the flat.
What kind of advice is this? A new bike always helps. It keeps the wheels of the economy spinning and puts a smile on the new owners face. What more do you want?
Old 09-01-16, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Felt F65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Giants only give you bang for the buck if your comparing full retail which only a small few actually pay. Most people like myself on a budget will wait for the closeout sale, a deal, or better yet buy last years model because the new 2017's are on the way and pay 40% of retail and actually get BETTER bike with Ultegra instead of 105 components."
That's one way of looking at it, I guess. I've ordered a 2017 Giant - it has the same Ultegra components as the 2016 model, my 2017 has hydraulic discs instead of mechanical, and the list price is $225 less than the 2016's.
Gary
Old 09-01-16, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kbarch
Nothing against encouraging people to be thrifty, but full retail is not necessarily a "horrible deal" just because the dollar figure is higher than what one would pay for an "as is" bike out of someone's garage. Besides, somebody's gotta do it - may as well be the OP here.
It's not about being thrifty or buying a used bike from someone's garage. It's about willing to go out and look for a good deal on a new bike instead of being locked into 1 bike store who doesn't have any current sales. Seems like the OPS budget is the range of $1500 or less and wants a bike to LAST so why wouldn't you want to shop around and get the best possible? Look at other shops, look online for sales, consider buying a 2015-2016 where you can pay 40% of retail like I did and most others do on a budget.

There isn't anything wrong with paying full retail, but there is a whole lotta right if you can get a better deal on a better bike..
Old 09-01-16, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7734 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,938 Posts
I sort of have to agree with LGHT .... if the OP is looking at one store and trying to choose from what they offer, he is setting himself up. The salespeople will know he plans to buy there so they don't have to give him a deal, and he has to pick from whatever that one store offers, whether it is the "right" bike or not ... whatever is close to right.

If he can take his time, spend a few hours each weekend visiting other shops, search online ....

Particularly if he is serious about not buying a bike again maybe forever .... Don't compromise now. Absolutely nothing worse than having only one shot and missing ... except realizing that you missed when you see what you should have bought.
Old 09-01-16, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LGHT
It's not about being thrifty or buying a used bike from someone's garage. It's about willing to go out and look for a good deal on a new bike instead of being locked into 1 bike store who doesn't have any current sales. Seems like the OPS budget is the range of $1500 or less and wants a bike to LAST so why wouldn't you want to shop around and get the best possible? Look at other shops, look online for sales, consider buying a 2015-2016 where you can pay 40% of retail like I did and most others do on a budget.

There isn't anything wrong with paying full retail, but there is a whole lotta right if you can get a better deal on a better bike..
Of course, everyone has their own priorities. In my case, it's almost wrong to go anywhere BUT the Giant dealer, since I can see it from my apartment, and don't have to spend (waste) time or energy traveling anywhere else. Like anyone, I am always keen to find bargains, but I HATE how time-consuming, frustrating, and often unrewarding "shopping" can be. Some people enjoy the hunt, but not me.