Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

good floor bicycle pump for vintage bicycle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

good floor bicycle pump for vintage bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 06:21 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,260 Posts
Originally Posted by prowler
i've been using a topeak joe blow sprint for the past 4 or 5 years now and i like it .
+1
Old 10-28-16, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
For those with more money than....

https://silca.cc/products/superpista-ultimate-plus-hiro
Old 10-28-16, 06:49 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you want the easy way, this works well too and will handle your vehicles too.

Husky 12-Volt/120-Volt Home and Auto Inflator-HD12120 - The Home Depot
Old 10-28-16, 07:27 AM

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
sorry, but the joe blow is ugly... performance is selling it for a good price but well, maybe it looks better in person?
Haha, so you want a good, flexible, attractive tire pump? I've used the Joe Blow Sport for 4 years, been perfectly happy with it. Easy to use, clear gauge, seems accurate. Stays out of sight most of the time, so I couldn't care less about it's looks, but maybe I should put some bike stickers on it to cover up the ugly.

For car tires I use one of those cheap ($30 on sale) extremely noisy portable pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter. Had that one for a good 15 years, doesn't want to die. I keep it in the car that gets driven the most.
Old 10-28-16, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I bought a Lezyne Steel Drive when I started pumping seriously, back in '09 for $50. Very solid and the gauge is detailed and easy to read. Worth every penny.
+1. Make sure it is the steeldrive though. Their cheaper pumps have a plastic part between the piston and the hose that easily fails with no warning. Steeldrive has given me no issues.
Old 10-28-16, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Pretty happy with this one from PB.

Spin Doctor Essential Floor Pump
I've got the same I picked up on sale for like $17 or so. Works just fine for my needs.
Old 10-28-16, 08:30 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I've got a Zefal Husky that must be at least 30 years old. The only repair has been a new presta head about 10 years ago.
+1
So vintage pump for vintage bike. I gotta tell you though, I was at an event in the summer and asked a competitor if I could borrow his pump. It took less than have the pumps of my pump to get to the same pressure, amazing. I asked him about it and he said it was like 30 dollars at a shop. Some things are better than vintage and since you won't be carrying a floor pump on your bike, I'd go with modern.
Old 10-28-16, 10:31 AM

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Pretty happy with this one from PB.

Spin Doctor Essential Floor Pump
Same here. Inexpensive, dual head, reliable. The only thing that's less than ideal for me is the pressure gauge range. On my mtb, a few psi difference can be the difference between too hard or pinch flats. Hard to dial in with the wide range guage.
Old 10-28-16, 10:36 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
I've had a specialized air comp for the last 6 years. Heavy use. Works great.

I don't especially care about the age or material of my pump though - or how it looks. The lezynes unscrew the heads, and aren't as convenient for Schroeder.
Old 10-28-16, 10:45 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy

If I had one, I wouldn't be telling anyone! Especially the other half.
Old 10-28-16, 10:54 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Italian made Silca Pista.. mine, bought new BITD, is vintage 80's. {ie, well before recent buy out, & sacking of whole Italian workforce)

about the same time, I Bought a Medai, it is Schrader head, The Silca, Presta .

leather pump cups, in both, stay soft with boot grease.. to keep the air compressed as if new..

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-28-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 11:01 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
hi golden boy,

what timing- i was just asking about the sks rennkompressor. its should be able to pump my 26 x 1 3/8 tires to 65 psi accurately?

right now i'm just using a small hand pump until my hands hurt and squeeze testing. but have no idea what psi i'm at.
Hmm, are you trying to pump them up to 65 psi because that's the max on the sidewall?

If you haven't already, consider inflating them according to weight instead: https://www.adventurecycling.org/def...SIRX_Heine.pdf
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-16, 11:38 AM
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 1,819 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Italian made Silca Pista.. mine, bought new BITD, is vintage 80's. {ie, well before recent buy out, & sacking of whole Italian workforce)

leather pump cups, in both, stay soft with boot grease.. to keep the air compressed as if new..
'/,
+1 on the Medai (or is it Meidai?). I have a ' Top Super' , and if you want to keep things C&V, it would be a good and affordable choice.

Old 10-28-16, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

'/,
With the big brass (Campy I think) pump head. Only way to pump up C&V bikes in style!
Old 10-28-16, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 431 Posts
Silca Track pumps were the best BITD, but I actually prefer the Rennkompressor, by a nose.

Anyhow, the OP is asking about pumping up a Robin Hood 3 speed, which almost certainly has schrader valves.
Old 10-28-16, 11:55 AM
Banned

Campag made the steel Chrome plated Pump head* for the Silca Frame Fit Impero Pump.

Silca Brass Bell shaped air chuck came on the Pista pump.

* They also Made some light weight Plastic Pump Heads Too..
Old 10-28-16, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
For a vintage bike? --- anything less would be sacrilege

Find one -- rebuild it by replacing a leather washer --- then life is good for a long time

If I had to buy new-- Lezyne makes a knock off of the Silca that looks pretty sharp
Old 10-28-16, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 3,537 Times in 1,153 Posts

'/,
In my experience the weak link on the Silca Pista is the gauge. I've replaced my gauge 4 times in 45 years. Even new out of the box the gauges are all over the place with their readings. The last two read 7 to 10 psi too high at 50 to 80 psi. On the other hand at least replacement gauges are available (or were) and I've only had to replace the pump leather once in all that time. The rubbers in the head seem to last about 5 years each. I'm not terribly impressed with the new "improved" red head rubber. It seems to be disintegrating at a faster rate than the old standard black one.
Brent
Old 10-28-16, 12:15 PM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
+1
So vintage pump for vintage bike. I gotta tell you though, I was at an event in the summer and asked a competitor if I could borrow his pump. It took less than have the pumps of my pump to get to the same pressure, amazing. I asked him about it and he said it was like 30 dollars at a shop. Some things are better than vintage and since you won't be carrying a floor pump on your bike, I'd go with modern.
Well, if the Zefal gave up the ghost completely, I'd just get something newer. In fact, even if it did try and give up the ghost, I might try and resurrect it, just for the hell of it. No need to replace it, just to get something newer though, even if it takes a few extra pumps. I'm usually in no hurry anyway.

The most vintage pump I have is one of those old, silver Zefal HP frame pumps, that I probably got 40 years ago. The last few years, it's been kicking around in the underground lab, since the floor pump is usually out with the herd at their fair weather ranch in the garage. When I put together the Pro-Tour I got last spring, it was the only pump I had that fit the frame, so back in road service it went. Two weeks ago I got a flat and was pumping up the spare and the piston rod bent over. So the HP ended-up being thrown on top of the bench in the underground lab, and I told myself to just get a new frame pump to fit the Pro Tour.

The next day, I was being dragged on a forced death march through Bed Bath and Beyond. At one point a display of curtain rods appeared and I had a moment of clarity. I grabbed the shortest 7/16" curtain rod they had and upon my return to the underground lab, confirmed the HP piston rod was the same size. It even had the same open seam running down it, just like the curtain rod. Is Zefal using the same type of rod they use for curtain rods? Anyway, long story short, I took the HP apart, installed the curtain rod, and now it's working like a champ again. Back on the Pro Tour. Cost: $2.00 for the curtain rod.
Old 10-28-16, 12:35 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Well, if the Zefal gave up the ghost completely, I'd just get something newer. In fact, even if it did try and give up the ghost, I might try and resurrect it, just for the hell of it. No need to replace it, just to get something newer though, even if it takes a few extra pumps. I'm usually in no hurry anyway.

The most vintage pump I have is one of those old, silver Zefal HP frame pumps, that I probably got 40 years ago. The last few years, it's been kicking around in the underground lab, since the floor pump is usually out with the herd at their fair weather ranch in the garage. When I put together the Pro-Tour I got last spring, it was the only pump I had that fit the frame, so back in road service it went. Two weeks ago I got a flat and was pumping up the spare and the piston rod bent over. So the HP ended-up being thrown on top of the bench in the underground lab, and I told myself to just get a new frame pump to fit the Pro Tour.

The next day, I was being dragged on a forced death march through Bed Bath and Beyond. At one point a display of curtain rods appeared and I had a moment of clarity. I grabbed the shortest 7/16" curtain rod they had and upon my return to the underground lab, confirmed the HP piston rod was the same size. It even had the same open seam running down it, just like the curtain rod. Is Zefal using the same type of rod they use for curtain rods? Anyway, long story short, I took the HP apart, installed the curtain rod, and now it's working like a champ again. Back on the Pro Tour. Cost: $2.00 for the curtain rod.
That is freakin Cool.
I guess the ball goes back to vintage because they can be rebuilt, and worth it. As a matter of fact last year I rebuilt my zephal husky. Just seemed like it was time. It's good for another 30 years. Probably can't do that with plastic pumps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160322_124539~2.jpg (96.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-28-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I've been using my Medai Top Super for over forty years with only a hose replacement.

They made a lot of them under various brand names. If you see a used one, grab it!

Medai Top Super Bike Pump - the Buyer's Guide, 2015
Old 10-28-16, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by obrentharris
In my experience the weak link on the Silca Pista is the gauge. I've replaced my gauge 4 times in 45 years. Even new out of the box the gauges are all over the place with their readings. The last two read 7 to 10 psi too high at 50 to 80 psi. On the other hand at least replacement gauges are available (or were) and I've only had to replace the pump leather once in all that time. The rubbers in the head seem to last about 5 years each. I'm not terribly impressed with the new "improved" red head rubber. It seems to be disintegrating at a faster rate than the old standard black one.
Brent
Still have spare Black ones somewhere in a Poly Bag, the wear stopped once I quit pushing the chuck on too far.
there is a Smooth band between the stem ring nut threads and the different thread for the Cap.

A common machine practice actually .. the smooth band transition, between 2 different thread types..

https://www.efficientvelo.com/produc...e-pump-washer/

This is made for the Inflation head of the Shop's compressor Hose used by staff
and Anyone wanting more air in their tires.. sees lots of use over many Years.

the pump washer is a copy of and interchangeable so will replace the Silca Ones ..

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-28-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I've been using my Medai Top Super for over forty years with only a hose replacement.

They made a lot of them under various brand names. If you see a used one, grab it!

Medai Top Super Bike Pump - the Buyer's Guide, 2015
Reminds me of the Schwinn one I had. Great pump. Couldn't find a replacement hose and chucked it 10 years ago - in retrospect, I shouldn't have.
Old 10-28-16, 02:22 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
I have an old Silca floor pump I'd like to revive. When I try it, it blows as expected when I press the handle down, but unexpectedly, it sucks when I lift the handle. Where is the valve that prevents sucking?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-28-16, 02:25 PM
Banned

Should be a pump check valve in there. Presta Stems of course have a check valve in each.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.