Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What do people think of this modern vintage bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What do people think of this modern vintage bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
People say you can get a better quality frame for half the price and build it up with choice parts. True but it costs more in the end.

For a complete bike at this price point, its a good buy and you can upgrade the components when they wear out.

Again, its not a bike for the high end market and isn't meant to be. Its not fair to compare it to a carbon road bike 3X the price.

For the intended market, its more than adequate.

Last edited by NormanF; 03-17-17 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 11:10 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Totaling all this up, the bike doesn't* really say "vintage" to me.
It's alternative vintage.
Old 03-17-17, 11:30 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I love this forum, but this appears to be another time where many dont recognize orndpnt care that most cyclists arent like us.
Most dont want a project. Most dont want to puzzle together a bike. Most dont want to buy a used bike which they dont know how much work is needed or how to do the work thats needed. .
+1
It's not a bad bike. NOT vintage. Maybe those new steel bikes don't have a soul... but it looks like it could have heart.
Old 03-18-17, 06:51 AM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
... Think about this: when this becomes used and is several years old, with much depreciation, guess what? It's a solid frame to build up!! 130mm axle, threaded headset, quill stem, all steel (cro-mo and hi-ten do give nice rides) that is much much newer with all those given benefits, vertical dropouts, standard reach brakes (I'd like short reach, but that's ok), rack/fender mounts, and other things. I really like the steel element because it's honest and it's proven. It's not high end thin race stuff, which means, to me, it has "pre-proved" itself for longevity. And that to me is a very good, respectable thing.

Not for me, but for thee, I give a:
I think you could apply that comment to the whole bike. Sounds like somebody has been reading BQ lately. Some people want flashy, some just want functional - different strokes for different folks. But if I were a salesman, the above reasons would be why I would be eager to sell this bike. Everything on it is proven - nothing "latest and greatest" about it. It's just a new bike with parts that work well together. Kind of like buying a Toyota...

You don't have to worry if the batteries are going to wear out in the shifter (or wonder how long the motor will last in the RD), or if the hydraulics are going to leak right before a descent, or if the CF fork is going to spontaneously combust (I think Grant P has lots of literature on this).

Last edited by mountaindave; 03-18-17 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-18-17, 07:53 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
My suspicion is that if any of us bought this bike, we'd probably change out most of the parts immediately.

We'd certainly tear it down and re-build it; my experience with companies like this suggests it is an absolute necessity, as if these bikes were within five miles of a smidgen of grease when they were assembled, it would qualify as enough of a miracle for the pope to take notice.

That said, it's probably a functional enough bike.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-18-17, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
I'd buy a Black Mountain Cycles road frame and build it if I were going new and inexpensive.

Road Frames - Black Mountain Cycles
Old 03-18-17, 09:08 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11104 Post(s)
Liked 7,711 Times in 4,293 Posts
Well yeah, if the BMC road frame came in my size i would have snagged one up this winter for sure after having ridden his monstercross frame for 6 months.
...and it would have cost WAY more than the bike in question.

A road frame and fork is $595. This entire bike is $700.
You still need wheels, tires, shifters, brakes, saddle, stem, seatpost, cables, crank, bars, tape, pedals, and more.

A typical new build with his road frame will set you back $1100-1500 depending on if you buy new or used and the level of components.

Not really comparable to the Evans bike being discussed.

On a related note, i found out that the monstercross frame made of no name tubing weighs less than a Ritchey SwissCross frame and for less than half then cost.
A road frame would be really cool to have.
Old 03-18-17, 04:29 PM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Complete bike, you just have to assemble.

https://www.cyclestoussaint.com/coll...lete-build-kit
Old 03-18-17, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
While I agree that any one of us could put together a better bike for less money, it will still be an old bike. Some people want to be able to pull out their credit card and buy a new bike. A new bike, even a low-end one, comes with a warranty and free adjustments. There may be better deals from other companies, but it doesn't look like a horrible price for what they have listed. The market will decide if it's priced is too high.
I agree.

Probably everyone reading this forum could find a real retro bike for this price, but...

A lot of people don't have the time or expertise - or the interest - in doing that. This is a fine bike for the retro aesthetic at a reasonable cost and probably excellent performance for a recreational enthusiast.
Old 03-18-17, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I agree.

Probably everyone reading this forum could find a real retro bike for this price, but...

A lot of people don't have the time or expertise - or the interest - in doing that. This is a fine bike for the retro aesthetic at a reasonable cost and probably excellent performance for a recreational enthusiast.
I think people criticizing it overlook the fact in a world of complicated and expensive bikes, a simple, well-made bike is all most people really need at a price that doesn't break the bank. That's exactly what Evans Cycles set out to do and they should be commended for it. Doesn't have a high-tech frame or components but what it has is durable and reliable. A complete bike for under a grand is hard to find these days.
Old 03-18-17, 09:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 42 Posts
You say, "suicide levers and downtube shifters," and you remember being told it was something seen only on cheap flat bar bikes? That's about the poorest understanding of race bike history I've seen but, you don't really care just so long has the bike as a steel triangle so... no biggy, right?
Old 03-18-17, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
For the UK market I'll say this bike is very badly overpriced compared to other new machines. For 30 quid more you can get a very respectable Shimano 105 racing bike. And yes, it doesn't have gumwall tyres or metallic earwax paint, but it's not an ugly pastiche either.

I can forgive welded tubes instead of lugs, I can't forgive that sloping top tube nor bottom-spec components on a near six hundred quid bike. I wouldn't pay more than £250 for one new even if I liked the colour, which I don't.
Old 03-18-17, 09:52 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Low end bike with low end parts made to look semi-vintage with a heavy price tag...no thanks!

It doesn't have to be a flashy build and you don't have to break the bank finding NOS Camp Nuevo Record or something but the build on that is just junk. I would save that money and buy an actual vintage bike I got my 7400 DA equipped 531 steel road bike for $500 and it rides like a dream. Sadly I wish I had tried to pull the BB a long time ago because it is seized and I might have had a chance 2-3 years ago when I bought it.
Old 03-18-17, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
50% acetone 50% automatic gearbox fluid, plug the drainhole and bang a litre of that down the seatpost to sit for an hour and your bottom bracket will have no choice but to vacate. There's no better penetrating oil known to man than that mix.
Old 03-19-17, 08:05 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 885 Times in 530 Posts
I dunno. If that's retro vintage, I must be getting old.
Old 03-19-17, 08:49 AM
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
50% acetone 50% automatic gearbox fluid, plug the drainhole and bang a litre of that down the seatpost to sit for an hour and your bottom bracket will have no choice but to vacate. There's no better penetrating oil known to man than that mix.

Interesting.....
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 03-19-17, 09:00 AM

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 146 Posts
Like a lot of the commentors, I think the bike is marketed to someone who fancies a retro looking bike. And unlike many here, some people just want a bike to ride, not something that they have to hunt for, piece together, or work on themselves to get up and running. So, I don't think this crowd is it's market. I just wonder how many potential customers there are in this niche market. The chromo and high tensile steel mix doesn't bother me in the least, but it doesn't bother me in true C&V bike either. Good, competent, solid, reliable, proven stuff. I often day dream about the possibilities of creating something like this, shooting for the $300 mark here in the USA, and wonder if there would be a market for it... but, my boss always seems to snap me out of it with more work to be done. I applaud the company for taking the risk of trying something different...
Old 03-19-17, 09:08 AM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I think people criticizing it overlook the fact in a world of complicated and expensive bikes, a simple, well-made bike is all most people really need at a price that doesn't break the bank. That's exactly what Evans Cycles set out to do and they should be commended for it. Doesn't have a high-tech frame or components but what it has is durable and reliable. A complete bike for under a grand is hard to find these days.
Given that I pointed out a better bike for cheaper, you're not correct here. We get it. It's functional, sort of retro, and not crazy expensive. Still, there are better options for less--and much better options for a bit more.
Old 03-19-17, 11:22 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
I think it's great. It takes some of the demographic who would be competing for what I love out of my market. Now if I were more a seller than I am a buyer, I would have a different assessment.