Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Brakes or Brakeless?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Brakes or Brakeless?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Wheeler custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
brakes are death
Old 02-03-18, 08:25 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,796 Posts
still haven't seen that movie
Old 02-03-18, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Wheeler custom fixed gear

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
you truly aren't missing much, it's like the Fast and Furious of cycling
Old 02-03-18, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
I live my life a quarter-mile skid at a time.
Old 02-03-18, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
still haven't seen that movie
If you enjoy bad film, then you definitely should see it. It's better than I wanted it to be, but still ridiculous enough to be fun.
Old 02-04-18, 04:30 AM
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
... can't stop.
Don't want to.
Old 02-04-18, 04:33 AM
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
If you enjoy bad film, then you definitely should see it. It's better than I wanted it to be, but still ridiculous enough to be fun.
I actually like that movie. You gotta keep in mind its exactly that - a movie. Not a documentary.

Line of Sight. Now there's a documentary.
Old 02-04-18, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting responses here. Riding brakeless depends on the situation/bike/purpose. I have also been riding fixed for many many years and have bikes with and without a front brake.

Bikes without.............

Track Bike (racing....obviously)
All my grocery bikes
Fixed MTN on very mild singletrack/errands (clipped)

The last two use crazy/silly light gearing (easy to lock) and the speeds are very very slow

Bikes with.............

Commuter 44x17....light gear....the front brake is there but I never use it. If I need to stop, I skip skid or skid.
Training Bike 54x16/14......it has a front brake and is welcome on a hilly century for the downhills.

Here is the key...............

1) Like someone mentioned above, if you are going 5mph in a light gear (in my case grocery bikes), then you most definitely can stop extremely quick and can get away without a front brake.
2) With my commuter, the trick is to stay alert with your head up and be aware of potential obstacles/accidents. Slow/back pedal/resist accordingly. The front brake can save you but being aware is your first line.
3) If you train at speed in a big gear, then a front brake is only there to help you scrub the speed or stop/slow in a controlled situation. If anyone at all tells you that a front brake will save/stop you in an emergency, they are full of crap. If in a big gear and you are traveling at 20-25mph+ and hit the front brake in an emergency...........................you are going over the bars. The flywheel effect of that big gear makes it extremely difficult to lock at those speeds.* That fixed forced rotation along with the pads grabbing your front wheel will most definitely send you over. Make no mistake, riding at speed in a big gear is no joke and you have to treat it as such. I would even tell folks to run a front and rear if they could with those gears. Anything to help slow at speed, and yes, the rear brake will help you. This is one of the specific situations where fixed is way more dangerous than geared.

*this is huge as you never ever have that concern with a geared bike/coasting
Old 02-09-18, 10:03 AM

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedweasel
The flywheel effect of that big gear makes it extremely difficult to lock at those speeds.*
I ride 84 GI daily, cruising between 20-25mph on most commutes and can easily lock the wheel at those speeds and in excess of those speeds. I don't ride with a brake but I stay very alert and always anticipate as much as possible. Avoidance and route planning or "line of sight" is a lot more beneficial in preventing an accident then having a front brake, for me at least. If brakes were the holy grail of keeping you safe on a bike, then those on road bikes wouldn't see as many accidents, but they do.

I think the biggest takeaway here is "If you need to ask if you need a brake, then you need a brake."
Old 02-09-18, 10:53 AM
czr

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it comes to purely braking/slowing the bike...would a fixed gear with no brakes do a better or worse job than a bike with only a coaster brake? Both bikes being the same otherwise.
Old 02-09-18, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by czr
When it comes to purely braking/slowing the bike...would a fixed gear with no brakes do a better or worse job than a bike with only a coaster brake? Both bikes being the same otherwise.
Depends on the person riding.
Old 02-09-18, 11:05 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5995 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,627 Posts
Originally Posted by czr
Not better, but worse or about the same depends on the rider.

The coaster brake is simpler to use so anybody can achieve the maximum performance, while a fixed gear requires some degree of skill and strength to work effectively. Also, resist pedaling can be more tiring on long grades.

However, either can work effectively and manage seed control on grades, so it's fair to say they're equally effective.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-09-18, 11:18 AM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by czr
No question a coaster brake stops a bike better. I rode brakeless-fixed for years and while it's easy to lock up the back wheel and skid, it's a lot harder to apply maximum braking force without locking up the wheel. I still ride a coaster brake and don't consider it to be dangerous in any way. My fixed-gear has brakes.
Old 02-09-18, 11:20 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sometime back this summer I got the "where's your helmet?!" from a hipster on a fixie w/o brakes. Normally that would make my blood boil, but the irony was priceless.
FB, no irony there. An honest question from someone who has done his risk vs cost assessment and came to the entirely logical assessment that since he had little of value to protect, the cost of a helmet amounted to resources poorly utilized. At the same time, he is guessing your noggin is of higher value to you.

This from someone who wore a helmet. Not wearing one would have been, in the long run, far cheaper. Several thousand dollars for the service and no on-going costs.

Ben
Old 02-09-18, 11:45 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
[QUOTE=fixedweasel;20150872...

3) If you train at speed in a big gear, then a front brake is only there to help you scrub the speed or stop/slow in a controlled situation. If anyone at all tells you that a front brake will save/stop you in an emergency, they are full of crap. If in a big gear and you are traveling at 20-25mph+ and hit the front brake in an emergency...........................you are going over the bars. The flywheel effect of that big gear makes it extremely difficult to lock at those speeds.* That fixed forced rotation along with the pads grabbing your front wheel will most definitely send you over. Make no mistake, riding at speed in a big gear is no joke and you have to treat it as such. I would even tell folks to run a front and rear if they could with those gears. Anything to help slow at speed, and yes, the rear brake will help you. This is one of the specific situations where fixed is way more dangerous than geared.

*this is huge as you never ever have that concern with a geared bike/coasting[/QUOTE]

??? I have ridden a 42-12 down mountain roads at speeds races never see on flat ground, running Shimano DPs and Tektro V-brake dropbar levers. Stopping ability is very close to well braked geared bikes, perhaps a touch better since I have instantaneous feedback on rear wheel lockup. Ability to slow fast, as in seeing that I cannot make a blind corner at the last minute, is excellent; in fact as good as any bike of any type I have ever ridden.

If going over the bars is an issue, perhaps you are running brakes with too much power. I find I need less power on fix gears because I tend to be less subtle on them. More time in the drops, grasping handlebars with more authority. Using V-brake levers where that harder squeeze works out just right is a big help. (I started using V-brake levers to get hoods big enough that I could wrap my hands around climbing and not chew away all my skin under the levers. Finding the braking was improved a lot was a very pleasant surprise.)

Ben
Old 02-09-18, 11:53 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
FB, no irony there. An honest question from someone who has done his risk vs cost assessment and came to the entirely logical assessment that since he had little of value to protect, the cost of a helmet amounted to resources poorly utilized. At the same time, he is guessing your noggin is of higher value to you.

This from someone who wore a helmet. Not wearing one would have been, in the long run, far cheaper. Several thousand dollars for the service and no on-going costs.

Ben

Uh, OK, though I have no idea what you're trying to say.

FWIW - My reference to irony related to the fact that someone riding brakeless felt empowered to lecture a stranger about helmets.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-10-18, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I ride 84 GI daily, cruising between 20-25mph on most commutes and can easily lock the wheel at those speeds and in excess of those speeds. I don't ride with a brake but I stay very alert and always anticipate as much as possible. Avoidance and route planning or "line of sight" is a lot more beneficial in preventing an accident then having a front brake, for me at least. If brakes were the holy grail of keeping you safe on a bike, then those on road bikes wouldn't see as many accidents, but they do.

I think the biggest takeaway here is "If you need to ask if you need a brake, then you need a brake."

That's great. I can also lock at those gears and even bigger. I run between 89-102 gear inches on the road when training. The question is/was stopping in an emergency. For most guys that don't run/train fixed with experience, they will most definitely go over the bars in an emergency stop, as will you running 84"s at 25 mph. If you have to stop suddenly because a car just pulled out in front of you, you will either hit the car or go over the bars trying. Yes, I agree, head up, be aware, etc, etc. We both run fixed at higher gears and know the routine. That is why I said, running fixed at higher gears is just more dangerous at high speeds as far as emergency stopping than running a freewheel with two brakes. You can most definitely stop a geared bike with 2 brakes quicker than running a fixed with a brake up front.* And the reason you see more guys get into accidents on road bikes is because of the numbers. You very rarely see anybody training or running fixed at high gears and speeds but I've seen enough of them here in Chicago get hit or T-bone a car at lower inches.

*at speed**
**this is just a fact
Old 02-11-18, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can lock up my 50x12 at 160 rpm all day.

Sure that's 52 MPH. WANT SOME BRU?
Old 02-11-18, 11:37 PM
forever shiny and chrome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coffinjewel
you truly aren't missing much, it's like the Fast and Furious of cycling
that's an insult to the fast and furious series...
Old 02-14-18, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Wabi Classic & 1987 Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes you will need to stop within 10-20 feet. At 25mph I just dont see the ability to lock up the rear as being a good insurance policy against someone running a light from behind another car or a car blowing a blind corner at 40mph. I would also think that locking up your rear adds potential for loss of control at higher speeds.

I can stop within 8ft or so at 25mph with both brakes. I would like not to have both brake levers on my fixed bike but I havent been able to justify it yet. I live in south florida with lots of senior citizen new yorkers on the road. Bad combo in my opinion!

Originally Posted by UltraManDan

Old 02-14-18, 08:16 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
A FG cyclist who fits a front brake favors long term investments while those who do not just shoot craps.

-Bandera
Old 02-14-18, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Suggest you go brake-less.

It's obviously your heart's desire.
Old 02-14-18, 02:22 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Old 02-14-18, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yan

This is out of line, and the OP should know that most of us who recommended (even those who strongly did) a front brake, don't feel the need to insult someone who opts to go without.

Old 02-14-18, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is out of line, and the OP should know that most of us who recommended (even those who strongly did) a front brake, don't feel the need to insult someone who opts to go without.
Good for you. The rest of us prefer to state life-depending realities on the strongest terms possible.

Last edited by Yan; 02-14-18 at 03:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.