Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hilly Hundred (Bloomington IN)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Are you going to the Hilly Hundred?
I'm in, riding C&V, and would like to meet others of my ilk.
66.67%
I'm in, riding C&V, and avoiding RobbieTunes.
0%
I'm in, riding something else, but will get in touch.
0%
I'm in, riding something else, and keep me away from that guy.
0%
I'm not going, and think this is a short, soon-to-be-dead thread.
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Hilly Hundred (Bloomington IN)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 07:15 PM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,545 Times in 1,244 Posts
I'd do that. Fun!
Old 10-07-18, 07:32 PM

Liked 3,494 Times in 1,621 Posts
flying the colors.....

more scenery...

I wasn't expecting to see this level of ornateness!

and the happy owner....

I never figured that Waterford would give Hetchins a run for their money!

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-07-18, 07:41 PM

and the last couple of photos.....

cruising along on a flat stretch....

and a little more scenery....

a fellow with his new Chris Kvale bike! Just beautiful, despite this lousy photo from my phone....

that's all that I've got!

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 10-08-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-08-18, 05:48 AM
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
couldn’t make it this year, but rob let’s plan for the rain ride next year. 164 mile one day ride across indiana.
in!
Old 10-08-18, 05:59 AM
Banned.

It was purely a bike festivus for the best of us. Bravo Zulu to Steve, who rode slow enough that we did the entire event together. (with me, that takes patience). We also met another Marine, who sought us out at the last rest stop. Good stuff, good stuff.

Every aspect was considered, executed, and over the top, from organization, SAG, rest stops, LUNCH!, and available swag (it's a fundraiser). The schools and CIBA did an outstanding job.

I was hesitant on a 2-day ride, but it was pretty much spot-on. Whereas the Dairyland Dare becomes a grim ride after 50-60 miles, this one, where you know you're going 53 or so, and then doing it on a different course the next day, is marvelous. Where the Dare becomes "coast and climb" right away, this one is laid out with gentle rollers, some great flats, dozens of descents, and of course, climbs where it gets quiet, with the occasional "Uber!" shout.

The bikes. Steel is pretty much omni-present. It's everywhere. Vicious Cycles, Shamrock, Bob Jackson, Zunow, steelbikeguy's B-something, probably 20 custom bikes. Then you move "down" to the Paramounts, and then the entire gamut, from a Miyata 312 with 3x7 compact triple Exage, a bunch of Bianchi's, Fuji's, Motobecanes, Gitanes, a Centurion Pro Tour, a Raleigh, just too many older ones to list, and the new, as well: Surly by the score, and Salsa. Steel was common. I'd say 12 tandems, maybe 20.

The format is 2x53, with plenty of time to get organized, view the safety movie, ride, eat, watch the variety show (yes, they have Saturday night entertainment), and then do it again the next day. Plenty of SAG, more baked goods than you can imagine, great cider, plenty of water and music at every stop.

Fried chicken was excellent in the middle of each ride, tastefully put about 32 miles into the second day, when legs are not fresh. Rest stops are very abundant and truly well-placed.

Yeah, I'm coming back. Hope we can make an event of it.
Old 10-08-18, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Sounds like a great time Robbie.

Unlimited baked goods and fried chicken? Probably one of the few 100+ mile rides where you actually put on a few pounds! Nice!
Old 10-08-18, 07:58 AM
Banned.

As you can see, I participate in eating on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Sounds like a great time Robbie.

Unlimited baked goods and fried chicken? Probably one of the few 100+ mile rides where you actually put on a few pounds! Nice!
Old 10-08-18, 08:41 AM
Banned.

Oct 6 2018

Monroe County Cycling
51.17 mi Distance
3:14:00 Time
15.8 mph Avg Speed
2,927 ft Elev Gain
(I didn't get the Garmin rolling until we'd gone a couple of miles. It was more like 53 miles in distance)
--

Oct 7 2018

Ellettsville Cycling Cycling
51.74 mi Distance
3:22:22 Time
15.3 mph Avg Speed
3,222 ft Elev Gain (including Tabor's 24% for 130 meters, which I didn't even try. cleat covers on, chatted up some amazing legs with a pink tank top.... )

(I rode to the parking lot instead of the finish line up on the hill behind the high school. The route went right by my car.)
--

Again, I'm sure Steve would have been faster. He likes passing people on a steel fendered bike with a big Carradice bag on the back.
The weather was unseasonably hot, right after a cold, rainy front passed through. It was GOOD to get off the route when the temps went over 85....

As usual, ball bearing hubs on downhills simply ate up the sealed bearing carbons. We coasted right by a lot of people who were pedaling downhill.

I think my favorite was the white '88 Paramount, but I saw a black and burgundy Serotta right at the end, just beautiful. Shamrock was a clear third.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-08-18 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-08-18, 08:54 AM
Banned.

List of bikes merely seen:
1976 Centurion Pro Tour
1985 Bianchi (Mangalloy with 2x7 and a compact crank she didn't know could handle smaller rings)
Miyata 312 with 3x7 Exage on a compact triple
Fuji Del Rey in about 68cm
Paramounts
Waterfords
Bob Jackson
Chris Kvale
Zunow
Vicious Cycles
Shamrock
Surlys (tons)
Trek 420
Serotta
Bianchi's (maybe 5 all steel)

Steve can add to this. Including his.
Old 10-08-18, 09:28 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Great bikes on a great ride! Thanks for the photos
Old 10-08-18, 08:17 PM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Liked 2,460 Times in 914 Posts
Old 10-08-18, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
List of bikes merely seen:
<....long list of bikes....>

Steve can add to this. Including his.
I'm not sure I can recall any others... if I saw a nice bike, I took a photo, regardless of whether we were stopped or on the road. I'm just glad that the shots of the ornate Waterford turned out well!

I do want to mention that our steel bikes got some respect from folks on more modern bikes, as well as from some folks who have similar tastes. I'm never sure if they just respect us being able to get that much weight moving fast, or if they are just attracted to a bike that isn't black. Either way, it's nice to get some love.

I also want to mention that it was fun to ride with a fellow nerd... someone who appreciated it when I pointed out a neat old bike. Most of my other riding buddies just roll their eyes and say "...that's nice..."

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-25-19, 05:28 AM

Liked 1,862 Times in 896 Posts
Here's bringing back an old thread on the eve of the 2019 Hilly Looks like we're gonna get wet; the bonus is we'll be cold too
Old 10-25-19, 05:42 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Here's bringing back an old thread on the eve of the 2019 Hilly Looks like we're gonna get wet; the bonus is we'll be cold too
Yepper!

Still, looks like a roll out at 7 am will beat most of the rain on Saturday, and the "normal" times on Sunday will be just fine.

Now, the social implications, as you well know, can defeat those intentions.
Old 10-25-19, 07:21 AM

Yepper!

Still, looks like a roll out at 7 am will beat most of the rain on Saturday, and the "normal" times on Sunday will be just fine.

Frankly, I'm looking for something even more "memorable" than RAIN You never really remember those 70 degree sunny days with no wind; but the punishing heat or breath taking cold and wet you remember. Besides, if we don't ride the crappy days, how will we know when we have a good one?
Old 10-25-19, 08:17 AM

Yepper!

I'm fine with a 7am start. Keep me updated with a text or whatever.

Staying out of the rain would be nice, especially since there was some mention of an inch or two of rain in the forecast I saw. I've got fenders on the bike and rain gear in the saddle bag, so at least I will be less miserable than some others.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-25-19, 08:49 AM

Yepper!

Still, looks like a roll out at 7 am will beat most of the rain on Saturday,.......
looking at the hourly forecast, I notice that sunrise isn't until 8am, which does sound familiar. If there is significant cloud cover, it's going to pretty dark at 7am! 7:30 am might be tolerable, though??
On the plus side, the forecast is calling for a morning temperature around 50F, which can be comfortable in the rain with the right gear.

Steve in dry Peoria
Old 10-25-19, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm fine with a 7am start. Keep me updated with a text or whatever.

Staying out of the rain would be nice, especially since there was some mention of an inch or two of rain in the forecast I saw. I've got fenders on the bike and rain gear in the saddle bag, so at least I will be less miserable than some others.

Steve in Peoria
Sent you a PM
Old 10-25-19, 10:43 AM
Banned

Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Surely would've like to join you all though will be in the other Bloomington west. For the weekend I get to play middleman adopt-a-dog of extended family... rough ruff.
Old 10-26-19, 10:53 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Liked 2,460 Times in 914 Posts
RADAR noon-ish Saturday - Ugh!!!

Old 10-26-19, 01:36 PM

OK, that was "memorable". Other than being cold, wet and very windy, it was a peach of a day

Pics to come, but suffice to say this is exactly what I needed. A time with friends that I won't soon forget. I'm back at the hotel, warm and dry with a glass of wine. Now all I have to do is get my outer wear dry for tomorrow.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-27-19, 05:28 PM
Banned.

Day 1: Memorable, like a good ass-whippin'. Few ventured out, most ventured back or took the short route, and few hardy/foolish (pick one) rode the long route in the wind and rain and cold. If I hadn't done it with great guys, like [MENTION=113466]steelbikeguy[/MENTION], [MENTION=484927]nomadmax[/MENTION], and [MENTION=200991]speedevil[/MENTION], I think I'd have tanked. It's about climbing here, but in those conditions, it's about getting in before the weather gets ya.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-27-19, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Liked 2,002 Times in 1,187 Posts
Guys, and Gals,
I couldn't make it out on Saturday, but showed up on Sunday. What a week end... Saturday was miserable, but Sunday turned nice and ride worthy after 10 am. Most I met had a good time -300 riders om Saturday, and not sure of today's count, but happier riders because of sunny weather. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-27-19, 06:10 PM

Day 1: Memorable, like a good ass-whippin'. Few ventured out, most ventured back or took the short route, and few hardy/foolish (pick one) rode the long route in the wind and rain and cold. If I hadn't done it with great guys, like [MENTION=113466]steelbikeguy[/MENTION], [MENTION=484927]nomadmax[/MENTION], and [MENTION=200991]speedevil[/MENTION], I think I'd have tanked. It's about climbing here, but in those conditions, it's about getting in before the weather gets ya.
The phrase "not enough sense to come in out of the rain" comes to mind, but only because no one has coined the phrase "not enough sense to not go out in the rain".

Common sense?
No, we have "uncommon sense".

nice pics!

Steve, back in Peoria, and about to start drying the remainder of my gear
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-27-19, 07:11 PM
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The phrase "not enough sense to come in out of the rain" comes to mind, but only because no one has coined the phrase "not enough sense to not go out in the rain".
Or, to quote my mother, "it's only rain, you won't melt."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.