Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheelset Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 207 Posts
I say buy what you like and can afford... chances are you wont notice any difference. ride what makes you feel good or cool or happy!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 02-08-20, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Not everyone understands what a poor hub geometry is, but if you ask an expert like Psimet2001 I'm sure he would agree that Neugent hubs have a poor design.

I'm not surprised that you like the Neugent wheels better than your old Mavic wheelset. Those were boat anchors, so the weight difference is very noticeable.

I was referring to the new Mavic UST Ksyriums, not the old one that used proprietary spokes, and nipples(that thread into the rim. Their old hubs sucked too, and sourcing replacement parts was a pain in the ass(and expensive)

The new ones use traditional straight-pull spokes, and the hubs were redesigned to use a splined ring gear similar to DT.

I'm not a big fan of Mavic wheels, but I'd rather try their new ones than either Hunt or Neugent.

(edit) after looking at the Mavic website I see that they still use proprietary spokes on their wheels. For this reason I will never recommend their wheelsets.

I sill love the old Open Pros laced to 8 speed Record hubs on my Guerciotti, but even OPs quality declined in the later years.
Ah, well, meesage received.

That said, I do not personally know the person to whom you refer and I am sure that he or she is extremely knowledgeable about building wheels, but I do not consider one wheelbuilder critiquing the work of another to really be the opinion of an entirely unbiased person. But that's just me.
Old 02-08-20, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
That said, I do not personally know the person to whom you refer and I am sure that he or she is extremely knowledgeable about building wheels, but I do not consider one wheelbuilder critiquing the work of another to really be the opinion of an entirely unbiased person. But that's just me.
@Psimet2001 is a well respected wheelbuilder, and a member of this forum.
10 years and counting

This is from the thread you started, with a question about Neugent wheels

From his website,

Spoke Tension Rear Drive Side: 170-180 KGF (on a Park Tensiometer 18-19 for CX Ray and 22-23 for Laser).
Spoke Tension Rear Non Drive Side: There is no spec for this because it is whatever it is to pull the rim to the center of the wheel. They will always be looser than the drive side spokes and often by quite bit.

His wheels require a high DS tension because the hubs use a sketchy geometry.
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
That's messed up.

I vaguely remember him saying he was getting back into wheels after the failure of his last wheel company Nuvation (sp). Speaking as a wheel guy there's a ton of people that feel they have to set themselves apart by having a gimmick. Yet gimmicks don't work long term. Never have and won't start now.
Good luck with your wheelset, but using a DS tension that high leads to issues in the long run(cracked rims/spoke holes and broken nipples).

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-08-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-08-20, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
@Psimet2001 is a well respected wheelbuilder, and a member of this forum.
10 years and counting

This is from the thread you started, with a question about Neugent wheels

Good luck with your wheelset, but using a DS tension that high leads to issues in the long run(cracked rims/spoke holes and broken nipples).
As I have already stated, I believe, your message(s) to me have been received.
Old 02-08-20, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright everyone, i merely started this thread looking for recommendations for wheelset builds..thanks for all the suggestions by the way..

To each their own, "one man's meat is another man's poison".. not necessary to flame/correct one another's good and/or bad experiences...

But if its necessary, Forum Admin, you may close/delete this thread if it causes disunity amongst members..

Thanks..

Last edited by dexterchua84; 02-08-20 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-10-20, 01:16 AM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by dexterchua84
But if its necessary, Forum Admin, you may close/delete this thread if it causes disunity amongst members..
It's not the thread. The act of riding while getting a constant wedgie is what causes disunity among members here.
Old 02-14-20, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 953 Posts
I just ordered a second pair of Fulcrum 5 LG's for $300 to replace the Mavics on my Peloton. I have about 2000 miles on the first set on my Kestrel w/o any issues. I am 210 lbs and they are holding up well so far. No issues with spokes or truing. The Fulcrum Racing 5's replaced the 5 LG but I am just a rec rider so no big deal.