Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Now, you all know by now that my favorite bikes are the highest-end bikes…

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Now, you all know by now that my favorite bikes are the highest-end bikes…

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 07:39 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 880 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
The shipping weight was actually like 38lbs haha, so I'm hoping we come FAR under that!

Yep, 1974 on the 531 Free Spirit. I only saw it for one year in the catalog.

What is the 'full complement bearing' thing? Never heard o' that one.
"Full complement" means you remove the 14-ball retainers from the headset and replace with perhaps 24 loose balls, almost invariably installing as many as will fit, with a rotation test confirming no binding.
The traditional textbook recommendation of "full minus one" is almost universally wrong, I struggle to recall more than one instance in all my years.
Leaving no appreciable space for the balls to wander means that they can't easily fall into existing worst defects in the races and thus cause rough turning (which is verboten for headsets relative to having the steering find center while riding no-hands).
Old 06-16-23, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I would imagine. BITD, that might have been considered a mid level bike by some.....
Unless you were racing bikes in the early-mid 60’s nobody had a clue about high end bikes. My 1960 Puch Burgmeister was a “You spent how much, on a bike?!” whole 85 bucks. First ten speed with a funny shifter in back that was the first that most had ever seen.
By 1965 I had bought a Bianchi Speciallisima with Campy Record, Universal CPs and Fiamme Yellows for an astronomical $185 and people thought I was totally nuts. It was my first race bike and the only place where folks knew what it was for was at races. Probably should have kept it. But, BITD it was a tool, a real nice one, but still a tool and not a collectible.
Old 06-16-23, 08:58 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 3,818 Times in 1,537 Posts
Started in on the saddle.

So far = not good

But I have plenty of time to cook this goose, so we're gonna give it every shot we can to save the saddle. Bit touch and go at the moment.

Old 06-17-23, 07:35 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 2,130 Posts
^
Paging rhm.

-Kurt

Old 06-17-23, 08:57 AM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Morning update: we are saving this saddle.

Fortunately, the cracking looks way worse in pictures...it's just on the surface of this very thick leather.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-18-23 at 12:57 AM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-17-23, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
Morning update: we are saving this saddle.

Fortunately, the cracking looks way worse in pictures…it’s just on the surface of this very thick leather.
Should be salvageable for sure. FWIW, at my age I know some people and a couple of Shar Pei that look worse.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 06-17-23, 11:02 AM
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 3,287 Posts

Fortunately, the cracking is just on the surface...
Both surfaces?
Old 06-17-23, 11:38 AM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 880 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Both surfaces?
That shield or support isn't even present on most saddles, so might be completely unnecessary depending of luck and on loading. I've run saddles that had cracks in the actual leather but went on functioning for years under my modest poundage.
Old 06-17-23, 12:04 PM
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Both surfaces?
Originally Posted by dddd
That shield or support isn't even present on most saddles, so might be completely unnecessary depending of luck and on loading. I've run saddles that had cracks in the actual leather but went on functioning for years under my modest poundage.
@dddd is correct, that is some sort of a fiber layer that is riveted on underneath the leather and extends under the frame. I'm not sure it is necessary, but I can leave it for now.

I had really good luck sanding out the cracks in my other Brooks leather saddle, which helped with both presentation, and hopefully with eliminating stress points. Fortunately, all the cracks in this one are from drying out, and not from someone sitting on it and it pulling at the tension points. I think we'll be okay.

I needed 3 things to happen with the saddle:

1. I needed the sides be shaped in, instead of splaying out
2. I needed it to be soft enough not to tear while riding, and also for comfort
3. In order for #1 and #2, I needed to be able to safely manipulate the leather back into shape without damaging it.

I think I found the key. First thing I did yesterday was to start conditioning it. While I don't necessarily think that was a mistake, it did needed to be cleaned. I was VERY hesitant to use water, as I have destroyed some bits of very old leather in the past with water. But I also use water with leather all the time to loosen it up for a moment. There are lots of factors that determine how leather and water interact, but what I found was that water will open up the fibers of the leather and allow it to be safely manipulated, but then water evaporates, and will cause the leather to also dry out, sometimes irrepairably. Therefore, I did a combo - I took it rather slow with the water, and scrubbed all the dirt off, all the while letting the water gently massage the leather and lossening it up. Then after getting the shape to where I wanted it, blotted it dry with a towel, and started replacing the water with leather conditioner and spent a LOT of time hand rubbing it. I think that is a winning strategy. It is now in the correct shape, and has conditioner soaking into it.

More photos to come!

Old 06-17-23, 12:19 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 990 Posts
It was. And in 1965-1966, it had this configuration, with the chromed lugs and Campagnolo drivetrain. Then, poof. Gone, not to be seen again. Then, around '73 or '74, comes the Sears bike with the 531 tubeset, almost 10 years later.

I would put this model, and the 531 model, at the top of the heap. This ones got the style and the parts, the later versions got the tubing.
My first 10-Speed was a Sears Ted Williams purchased during this interim time. Most likely in 1971-72. It was made in Austria, most likely by Puch. I took it to college in '76 and it was stolen from the dorm during my first semester.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-17-23, 07:20 PM
The Huffmeister

Saddle saved! Pics coming. Turned out better than I had hoped! Tonight I'm going to pull the fork and soak the headtube/lugs in evaporust because the chrome was somehow just replaced w/ rust, despite the paint being perfect!

Old 06-17-23, 07:21 PM
The Huffmeister

EDIT: double post

Also going to disassemble the hubs and see what kind of carnage we are looking at.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-18-23 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 10:29 PM
The Huffmeister

Okay, I really debated how far to go with this, but I think we ended up in a happy place. I got the saddle in a (hopefully) rideable state that is loads better than it was, but kept a little bit of the character while theoretically eliminating stress risers from the surface cracks.

Here is what we started from...

Time to break out the sandpaper!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-18-23 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 10:33 PM
The Huffmeister

Old 06-17-23, 10:38 PM
The Huffmeister

Still bears the scars of its time in quarantine, drying out, but just waiting to be picked up again and taken out into the light. That is what we will do.

Old 06-17-23, 10:45 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,654 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Oh, "Ted Williams", I think that was Sears' top of the line. (maybe)
My clear recollection from this era (I was a kid) was that the Ted Williams name was slapped on all kinds of sports equipment sold by Sears. Certainly fishing tackle, but I think ball sports equipment got the TW moniker as well. I know it was on more than bikes. Nice little endorsement deal Teddy Ballgame had for some years.

I think, but am in no way certain, the the "Free Spirit" brand is what came after the Ted Williams deal ended, but I would cheerfully defer to someone who has actual, you know, knowledge on the subject.

And the Record RD is certainly worth the price of admission - a lot fewer of them were sold that the Gran Sports and Nuovo Records.
Old 06-17-23, 11:09 PM
The Huffmeister

I got a weight on the bike before I start tearing into it and disassembling everything.

28lbs on the dot. I knew she was lighter than the Huffy was, stock. Everything's lighter than the Huffy was, stock!

Not bad! Not great, but a lot of potential here. The kickstand? That was .52lbs, so removing that, we are already at 27.48lbs. Biggest gains to come from crankset and wheels/tires combo. Then low hanging fruit like the steel seatpost.

If the hubs are not thrashed, I will rebuild the wheels, and I'm open to some newer, modern rims. Tubulars? Clinchers? If this is an everyday rider, clinchers might be nice, but I'm out of the loop on good, lightweight rims. Machined sidewalls would be nice.

Old 06-18-23, 12:25 AM
The Huffmeister

Okay, some midnight action (of the less-than-ideal kind) updates!

Tonight had several wins!

First things first, the stem and fork all came out without a hitch!

I didn’t really look too closely at the headset races, but we have to have some suspense somewhere, so we’ll revisit that. I wanted to get that head tube and lug assembly inverted for a little evaporust mojo. The chrome on these lugs is nearly gone. It must have been really thin from the get-go. Those Austrians and their freakin’ thin chrome. The should have hired a consultant from Schwinn.

So we are soaking the entire shebang and we’ll see how it turns out after a day or two. I have a plan in the works here if it turns out the lugs clean up well but just with chrome loss.

Next up, the wheels!

Ive been a little apprehensive about tearing into these hubs to see what the condition is, but time to face the music, so let’s get to it.

Just what awaits us? Well, these hubs took a 13mm and 16mm cone wrench, of all things. Keep those 16mm wrenches around! You’ll never need them unless you pick up some weird Austrian bike!

Well, I have fantastic news to report. While the cone nuts had some pitting, the innards of the hubs looked just great…

I have no ideal what cone nuts these hubs take, but once I find out I am going to try to source some NOS ones or something new that fits, some new bearings as well, and get these things cleaned up. I’m not expecting them to roll incredibly smooth since those hub races didn’t look polished or finished super well, but they should be fine, and a definite improvement over how they were. They were very tight and notchy, so while I was worried, one of the previous posters mentioned that many old bikes had their wheel bearings adjusted too tight and that should be all it is, and fortunately they were right.

Now that I know we are in business, I am definitely more excited about rebuilding the wheels. Please let me know your thoughts on keeping the same 27”
rims, or going to 700c clinchers or even tubulars. I will be stuck with 36H. Let me know your suggestions.

While I was at it, I got crackin’ on spraying penetrant on the cotter pins to soak a bit…

...and then got the chance to examine the bike a little more closely underneath. Besides the head tube lugs, here is the worst of it...

This is the NDS chainstay. Bit o’ rust, bit o’ paint bubbles, nothing too crazy. I’m not holding out too much hope for the chrome, just knowing how thin it is, but at least it is on the underside.

Sad day for the chrome, but for the seat and the hubs I think we got to them just in the nick of time.

Oh, and here is the super cool fork crown.

cudak888 was right, we are basically starting with a Confente here compared to where we launched off on the last bike build lol

I will be cleaning up the Campy bits soon. Stay tuned!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 06-18-23 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-18-23, 01:16 AM

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
My clear recollection from this era (I was a kid) was that the Ted Williams name was slapped on all kinds of sports equipment sold by Sears. Certainly fishing tackle, but I think ball sports equipment got the TW moniker as well. I know it was on more than bikes. Nice little endorsement deal Teddy Ballgame had for some years.

I think, but am in no way certain, the the "Free Spirit" brand is what came after the Ted Williams deal ended, but I would cheerfully defer to someone who has actual, you know, knowledge on the subject.

And the Record RD is certainly worth the price of admission - a lot fewer of them were sold that the Gran Sports and Nuovo Records.
I came of age in the early 70s, when Sears reigned supreme (but certainly not in the bicycle department).
As I recall "Free Spirit" was the name of all their bicycles.
Most of the "Free Spirits" were "Huffy" look alikes, but somewhere along the line some of them were lugged from Austria.
As I recall "Ted Williams" designated the top of the line of the "Free Spirit" line.
I even remember seeing one with a lugged "531" frame, big surprise on my part, like "WTF?".
A very rude and crude frame, adorned with the wonderful "Guaranteed built with Reynolds 531" decal.
Old 06-18-23, 06:55 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 990 Posts
...and the rebuild adventure has commenced! The saddle rejuvenation is awesome.

AdventureManCO don't forget the whole C&V-Family Life balance deal this time around. Not everything needs to be solved immediately.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 06-18-23, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,992 Times in 2,684 Posts
I had one of the 1970s Reynolds 531 TW Free Spirits, which I sold to @ascherer for his son. Here’s the ‘73/‘74 catalog page:
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-18-23, 08:11 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 2,130 Posts
While I was at it, I got crackin’ on spraying penetrant on the cotter pins to soak a bit…
Do I spy someone in need of the The Classic & Vintage Pass Around [Cotter] Press?

-Kurt

Old 06-18-23, 08:14 AM

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 232 Posts
I got a weight on the bike before I start tearing into it and disassembling everything.

28lbs on the dot. I knew she was lighter than the Huffy was, stock. Everything's lighter than the Huffy was, stock!

Not bad! Not great, but a lot of potential here. The kickstand? That was .52lbs, so removing that, we are already at 27.48lbs. Biggest gains to come from crankset and wheels/tires combo. Then low hanging fruit like the steel seatpost.

If the hubs are not thrashed, I will rebuild the wheels, and I'm open to some newer, modern rims. Tubulars? Clinchers? If this is an everyday rider, clinchers might be nice, but I'm out of the loop on good, lightweight rims. Machined sidewalls would be nice.
Nice work on the saddle. Did you happen to weigh it before and after sanding? Probably a significant weight reduction there.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 06-18-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-18-23, 08:46 AM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 1,112 Posts
Here we go again, in the best/worst possible way...
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 06-18-23, 09:44 AM
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...and the rebuild adventure has commenced! The saddle rejuvenation is awesome.

AdventureManCO don't forget the whole C&V-Family Life balance deal this time around. Not everything needs to be solved immediately.
Excellent reminder sir! A big bonus is there is no time crunch on this one, so we can go at our own pace and I won't have to live out there, so I'm excited to have a leisure 'vacation' build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.