Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do weather forecasting websites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do weather forecasting sites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?
Yes
45.71%
No
54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Do weather forecasting websites hype up the chances of rain for clickbait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,094 Times in 7,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
. 70% chance of rain means 70% chain of rain, and 30% chance of no rain.

So if the forecasting is reliable, then 3 out of 10 times they say 70% chance of rain it will not rain.

If there is any “blame” to be had, it is that people do not understand forecasting and probability.
+1.

And what KIND of rain? SCATTERED showers? And WHAT TIME of day?

I live on the east coast, where many people are not as "tough" when it comes to weather. When I led club rides, many times people would not show up because they would look at some on-line weather site or look at the news, see some cloud/rain drop icon and .worry that they were going to get wet when really, had they taken time to dig down, they would have seen something like a relatively low chance of scattered, light showers occurring at a time when the ride was likely to be over.
Old 06-19-23, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bikelif3
I've been using weather.com for a while now and it seems like they purposefully overestimate the chances of rain. I'm guessing this is because more people will go to their site and increase ad revenue if "bad weather" is approaching.
Huh?

How does the site entice me to visit by purposefully overestimating the chance of rail if I first have to go to the cite in order to see the overestimation? If I hear from a different source (e.g., TV news) that bad weather is approaching and THEN go to the site, it isn't the site that attracted me. And since I am already at the site, there is no need to overestimate anything to attract me to the site. Finally, overall site traffic would likely decrease over time due to purposeful inaccuracies.

Seems you didn't think this one through.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-19-23 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-23, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
One could argue that 70 percent means 70 percent - it may or may not rain, but I feel that the kind of percentage is used by the forecasters to escape blame if it in fact doesn't rain.
But ... that's what a FORECAST is. It is a prediction. And a prediction isn't very helpful if it doesn't give you an idea of its accuracy.

A 70% chance of rain means that 7 times out of 10 it will rain, and 3 times out of 10 it won't. If, over time, the model's accuracy is different from the predicted accuracy (let's say there's an improvement in the model, or in the measurements that go into the model, or some other change), then the accuracy in similar circumstances can be changed, say a forecast based on a set of data and a prediction model used to give a 70% accurate forecast, and now the accuracy is predicted to be 75%.

Unless you have a crystal ball, or a time machine, no non-trivial prediction will be 100% accurate. Even a prediction that the sun will rise tomorrow will eventually fail.
Old 06-19-23, 11:44 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,626 Posts
There might be a bias to saying rain based on how people respond when they're wrong.

People get mad when it rains after a fair weather prediction, but are more likely to forgive if it doesn't rain. Also, consider that they forecast for a general area, but rain can often me more localized. So if it's goin to rain anywhere in the area, that's a rain prediction, or at least "scattered showers", but it might not rain on you.

As a cyclist, I'm used to this, and have often ridden for miles on newly wet roads, while not seeing rain. OTOH I've often ridden in rain for hours, when all I needed to do is stop and let it pass.

I take forecasts as a rough guide, but prefer to look at the radar map before riding, then read the clouds and wind once I'm out on the road.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-19-23, 12:04 PM
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
. 70% chance of rain means 70% chain of rain, and 30% chance of no rain.

If there is any “blame” to be had, it is that people do not understand forecasting and probability.
I know what you're saying. it's just mighty frustrating when a high probability of rain (e.g. 70 percent) turns into no rain more than once in a week.

So if the forecasting is reliable, then 3 out of 10 times they say 70% chance of rain it will not rain.
Unfortunately, that's not how probability works. A 70 percent chance of rain on a given day does not mean it will rain 7 out of 10 such days. You can think of a baseball player who has a 0.25 batting average. It does not mean they get one hit every four at-bats. It simply means they have a 25 percent chance of getting a hit in each at-bat.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-19-23, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 258 Posts
I know what you're saying. it's just mighty frustrating when a high probability of rain (e.g. 70 percent) turns into no rain more than once in a week.

Unfortunately, that's not how probability works. A 70 percent chance of rain on a given day does not mean it will rain 7 out of 10 such days. You can think of a baseball player who has a 0.25 batting average. It does not mean they get one hit every four at-bats. It simply means they have a 25 percent chance of getting a hit in each at-bat.

Umm, what?

That's exactly what it means. One hit every four at bats, as your N approaches infinity, is exactly the same as a 25% chance of getting a hit over a large number of results.

Saying that it's frustrating that twice in one week a "high" probability of rain resulted actually in no rain, while it may be true, is about as reasonable as getting frustrated that you get a coin flip that results in 4 heads in a row when you're betting on tails. Or that your 0.250 hitter gets 3 hits in 4 at-bats against your home team. That's how probability works. Probability applies over a large number of results, there nothing in probability that says that you can't get a different probability if you restrict your sample to a smaller number of results. What if you based your calculation of "probability" of a coin-flip on 3 results? Or 4, or some other small number?
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-19-23, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked 3,226 Times in 1,843 Posts
The same shaky grasp of probabilities shows up every time someone complains about getting a string of flat tires. "I went six months without a flat, and then got four in two months!" Setting aside factors such as road conditions, monthly mileage, etc., the chances are fairly low that your flats will arrive at symmetrically spaced, equal time intervals.
Old 06-19-23, 12:56 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by noimagination
Umm, what?

That's exactly what it means. One hit every four at bats, as your N approaches infinity, is exactly the same as a 25% chance of getting a hit over a large number of results.
Yes, if a batter with a 0.25 batting avegae bats N times, and as N approaches infinity, then they are likely to get a hit (0.25 x N) times. That doesn't translate into one hit in 4 at-bats. They may very well get 4 hits in 4 at-bats in one ballgame, and none in the next.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-19-23, 01:05 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10656 Post(s)
Liked 12,317 Times in 6,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak;22928307[b
]The same shaky grasp of probabilities[/b] shows up every time someone complains about getting a string of flat tires. "I went six months without a flat, and then got four in two months!" Setting aside factors such as road conditions, monthly mileage, etc., the chances are fairly low that your flats will arrive at symmetrically spaced, equal time intervals.
Boy howdy! I had real difficulty getting my MIL to believe that playing the same numbers every time in the Lottery did not incrementally increase her chance of winning every time she lost. And the brain rebels against the idea that "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" has the same chance of winning as any other 6 numbers. It wants to think "random" = "evenly distributed"

WRT flats, mine cluster in September and October, because that's when, after no rain since April and baking in the sun for months, the sandstone beside the roads I ride starts breaking up and the rocks roll onto the bike lane, and I am a pothole and rock magnet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-19-23, 01:07 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Yes, if a batter with a 0.25 batting avegae bats N times, and as N approaches infinity, then they are likely to get a hit (0.25 x N) times. That doesn't translate into one hit in 4 at-bats. They may very well get 4 hits in 4 at-bats in one ballgame, and none in the next.
But as N approaches infinity, the batter is getting older, his reflexes aren't so good, and he starts missing them more often....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-19-23, 01:11 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Oh, WRT the original topic - this year I learned that a 9% chance of rain is not the same as 0% chance of rain. Also, 40% isn't 100%. So anything above about 5-10%, I prepare as if it might rain, and I don't call off the ride for anything lower than about 70%.

Old 06-19-23, 01:19 PM
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by genejockey
But as N approaches infinity, the batter is getting older, his reflexes aren't so good, and he starts missing them more often....
So true...

Old 06-19-23, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad
if you need explanation: post with aggressive premise, minimally related to cycling by a new member
Followed by the sunscreen poll thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-23, 08:01 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 2,948 Posts
Che begat grantelmwood begat bikelif3....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-19-23, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I think "minimally related to cycling" means "I can't make money from it".
Old 06-19-23, 08:06 PM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
I think "minimally related to cycling" means "I can't make money from it".
Are you getting paid to pollute bike forums?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-19-23, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Are you getting paid to pollute bike forums?
I WISH...

How are you being paid??
Old 06-19-23, 08:10 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 6,100 Times in 3,111 Posts
Better to over predict inclement weather than the converse. In that way people are prepared if it does arrive and please when it doesn’t. Don’t see it as click bait unless they are throwing adds at you.

Last edited by rsbob; 06-19-23 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 09:08 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
I WISH...

How are you being paid??
"Your mother, Trebek" - Sean Connery
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-19-23, 09:13 PM

veganbikes

Spliced quotes. Didn't hit the mark..
Old 06-19-23, 09:15 PM
ignominious poltroon

I WISH...

How are you being paid??
Your mother.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-19-23, 09:28 PM

Your mother.
My mom is DEAD. Ok, not really, but I just said that to make you sound like you sounded in your post....
Old 06-19-23, 09:32 PM
ignominious poltroon

My mom is DEAD. Ok, not really, but I just said that to make you sound like you sounded in your post....
TwoChe
Old 06-19-23, 09:38 PM
ignominious poltroon

dou che...
4Lif3
Old 06-19-23, 09:39 PM

4Lif3
whateva...whateva...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.