Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for manual for vintage bike (home) repairs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Suggestions for manual for vintage bike (home) repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 08:50 PM
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I really like this guy's YouTube vids. He's got a bunch of vids and most may not apply to your bike but many do. Spend awhile scrolling through his vids a pick out what looks useful. (1) RJ The Bike Guy - YouTube
His videos are truly excellent and very practical. Lots of great hacks to approximate Park tools that you may only use once or twice so can’t justify the price of a pro shop model.
Old 09-01-23, 02:38 PM

Bikes: '80's Centerion Iron Man (purchased New) , ~'91 Specialized ($50 FaceBook Find), '?? Specialized Cross roads ($20 thrift Store Find)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
excellent advice/comment , I think we all learn the best from hands on doing until we get it right
Old 09-02-23, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 313 Posts
BITD there was a copy of Sutherland's in every bike shop. The Bike Shop Bible.
Old 09-02-23, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Raya2
I think we all learn the best from hands on doing until we get it right
Especially true for knowing how much to tighten something. For fasteners, things will come loose if you don't tighten enough and break if you go too far. After enough times you get a feel for what is the right amount. It's not something someone else can show you, you have to calibrate the torque wrench in your hand/wrist/arm. Along the way you'll also learn how to extract broken fasteners and repair stripped threads.

I once read that the sign of a true artisan is not in what they make, it's in how well they fix their mistakes. I repeat this to myself as a mantra everytime I break something.
Old 09-02-23, 09:37 AM
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,870 Posts
Old 09-02-23, 09:25 PM

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
just about all the books mentioned can be found at Powell's in portland... https://www.powells.com/searchresult...bicycle+repair
Likes For maddog34:
Old 09-03-23, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 772 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
just about all the books mentioned can be found at Powell's in portland... https://www.powells.com/searchresult...bicycle+repair
Holy Crap! That is a great link. I'm keeping that one. Thanks maddog34.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-03-23, 01:55 PM

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Holy Crap! That is a great link. I'm keeping that one. Thanks maddog34.
I use one bicycle book repeatedly... i have it marked with tape on page 93 or so.. "the first spoke".
it was open on my desk two days ago... i found my copy for 47 cents at a used junk shop, on "Half Price Tuesday", it was marked 99 cents. .... it seems the prices have gone up since then...

https://www.powells.com/searchresult...l+jobst+brandt
Old 09-03-23, 02:00 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
​​​​​​https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-03-23, 03:37 PM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
Zinn and the art of road bike/mountain maintenance, nice drawings, clear.

Yep, Sheldon Brown, second that.

Tools. Oh god, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole. Best advice, buy good tools on a regular basis by setting your limit (then blow the budget when that special tool comes along at a bargain price…lol), you can always sell good tools if you don’t want them anymore. Decide what you want to do, service, rebuild or restore, helps focus what you buy first.
Someone gave me the Zinn road bike manual one Christmas. The first thing I did was to cut off the spine, 3 hole punch it and put it in a 3 ring binder (so it would lay flat while being used).

If I see/use some info from online, I print it out and slide it into the relevant section of the Zinn manual. A bit of Sheldon Brown in there.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 09-03-23, 04:10 PM

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Someone gave me the Zinn road bike manual one Christmas. The first thing I did was to cut off the spine, 3 hole punch it and put it in a 3 ring binder (so it would lay flat while being used).

If I see/use some info from online, I print it out and slide it into the relevant section of the Zinn manual. A bit of Sheldon Brown in there.
I do the same thing with folders. Have not done the Zinn book, but good idea. I keep thinking about buying one of those binder machines, they are cheap second hand when people are bored playing with them! Plenty of Sheldon in my folders as well!
Old 09-03-23, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
Especially true for knowing how much to tighten something. For fasteners, things will come loose if you don't tighten enough and break if you go too far. After enough times you get a feel for what is the right amount. It's not something someone else can show you, you have to calibrate the torque wrench in your hand/wrist/arm.
Tighten until the thread strips, then back it off half a turn. 😗