Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Trek Touring Bike Haul: 620 & 720 Exacta

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Trek Touring Bike Haul: 620 & 720 Exacta

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 08:47 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 3,813 Times in 1,534 Posts
Great first post. And 200 miles? Dedication. You're going to like this place!

And, couldn't think of a better choice for bikes! I did a thread a while back trying to conglomerate all the different bikes people had listed as their 'favorite' ride and Trek came out on top, way on top. Was funny to see some of the reactions, but for people who like Treks, it worked out fairly well hah!

Welcome!

Old 09-27-23, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Great first post. And 200 miles? Dedication. You're going to like this place!

And, couldn't think of a better choice for bikes! I did a thread a while back trying to conglomerate all the different bikes people had listed as their 'favorite' ride and Trek came out on top, way on top. Was funny to see some of the reactions, but for people who like Treks, it worked out fairly well hah!

Welcome!
I don’t recall this thread, got a link?
Old 09-27-23, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I’d go north roads or something else with more sweep back as they have more hand positions. I have some Soma Oxford bars that I have put on several bikes with bar end shifters. On the oxfords, she can stretch out into a headwind if she wants to. 85 was a good year for those #20s. Definitely worth the trip.

yep Jeff hit it. But you can and I have run the shift cables outside the bar tape with a bit of twine a la Grant Peterson. And someone who doesn’t like the drops won’t like reaching down to shift and will therefore have less fun being in the wrong gear.
The only thing I don't like about this setup is that with the long sweep plus the bar ends, the ends come pretty close to my knees with a really tight turn. I've never actually hit my knees on the bar ends, but it sort of feels like I could. I'm usually not pedaling when I'm doing a one-lane turnaround, so it's not a real problem.

Otherwise it's great. The forward position where the brakes are give you the control you have with drops, the back position gives you an upright position almost like a cruiser, and somewhere in between is great for climbing or just a change of position. I really like the way the bike handles with these bars.

Old 09-27-23, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I don’t recall this thread, got a link?
polymorphself

The verdict is in...or is it? The cumulative list of our favorite/best bikes...The verdict is in...or is it? The cumulative list of our favorite/best bikes...
Old 10-01-23, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 66 Posts
I like drop bars but wanted more upright so I took a chance on just doing the stem. The change reduced the reach and added sizeable elevation to what was on the bike. Used all the other existing components.
Maybe another consideration for the 620.

Old 10-02-23, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce27
I like drop bars but wanted more upright so I took a chance on just doing the stem. The change reduced the reach and added sizeable elevation to what was on the bike. Used all the other existing components.
Maybe another consideration for the 620.
Are you SURE that stem is below the minimum insertion line? I have some tall stems too but that's pretty extreme.
Old 10-02-23, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Are you SURE that stem is below the minimum insertion line? I have some tall stems too but that's pretty extreme.
Yes, I'm sure.
Old 10-03-23, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 1,583 Times in 423 Posts
Yes, welcome BikingPR12 and congratulations on the two great bike finds

I've liked both the Soma Oxford bar, Nitto Albatross bar and a more inexpensive bar, the Sunlite North road bar which comes in steel and aluminum alloy which I have on several bikes.

I've often used a dirt drop style stem I purchased off Amazon which gets the bars up a bit higher if needed.

Here's a pic of one of my bikes with that upright bar and dirt drop style stem cockpit.

​​​​​​
I also really like the vintage Treks and have a 1982
24" Trek 614 which is not as cool as the full on tourers but I'm running 700x38 Panaracer Gravel King smooth tread tires and the upright style bars and it's a blast to ride, one of my favs.