Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Were Rear Racks Mounted in the Old Days?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How Were Rear Racks Mounted in the Old Days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by bharrisonb
Panniers attached. Note that there is no place to attach the hook of a bungee cord. Oh well.
I used a couple picture hanger hooks. https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-12231...00C14XS2&psc=1

Eight to a pack for $2.39, not actual size.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-20-23, 01:00 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
I had some p-clamps on my '70s era touring bike, and when I took them off a couple of years ago, they still looked fine. No damage to the paint. OTOH, it barely takes anything to hold up the front of a rear rack of a design like the Blackburn.
I'm not sure why I didn't get the blackburn that goes to the brake bridge. There probably was a reason.
Old 10-20-23, 04:49 PM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
As someone who used Pletscher racks on several bikes and installed many more using the typical method, when I happened into a cracked and warrantied Pletscher I modded it to be a stay-mount on my Cimarron instead of the traditional mount.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-20-23, 05:25 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 1,971 Times in 886 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
As someone who used Pletscher racks on several bikes and installed many more using the typical method, when I happened into a cracked and warrantied Pletscher I modded it to be a stay-mount on my Cimarron instead of the traditional mount.
Es-gee, that's clever.
Old 10-20-23, 06:17 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
The Pletscher type racks clamped on the seat stays and seldom left them unmarred.
They had a tendency to slide down the seat stays under load. Later production included a trianular or T-shaped metal plate that would anchor at the brake mounting bolt and through which the stay clamp bolts would run, to prevent this sliding.