Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ravenmore wheelkiller has moved on to gears

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ravenmore wheelkiller has moved on to gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Really? ok - bike's at the shop right now or I'd accommodate. They're switching the cassette out manana.
You can learn to do it yourself in the time it took you to drive one leg of the trip to the shop.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-11-09, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
You can learn to do it yourself in the time it took you to drive one leg of the trip to the shop.
Oh, I can change out cassettes no problem. Actually I don't have the Campy lock ring tool at the moment - probably should get one. They'll pop it on for me no charge though. They had the cassette at their other store and had to transfer it so I just left the bike there overnight.
Old 04-11-09, 09:32 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Rav I just don't understand how you are doing this to your equipment. No offense but I know a lot guys who I'm sure are putting out way more power or are heavier that are not breaking wheels and drive train bits like you. Honestly I'm puzzled.
Lol - well, I've never actually tested how much power I put out. I think I put out a fair amount though, plus I'm heavy to boot (anywhere from 195 - 210 depending on what part of the year you catch me in). I've got a teammate that is similar - he's snapped the driveside chain stay on his steel Lemond TWICE!. For a while there he had a hard time finishing races because he would routinely break spokes during the race.

The mechanic at the shop I took it to said he'd only ever seen this a couple of times, lol.
Old 04-11-09, 09:53 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
new cassette is on and ready to roll. I asked Paulie (mechanic) for the broken cog and he said it was snapped in half and threw it away. d@mn. oh well...
Old 04-11-09, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only broken one spoke so far (at below 170 lbs) but I dream of some day destroying other parts of my bike due to superhuman feats.
Old 04-11-09, 10:25 PM
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
Did you win?

I broke a cog on an MTB once. Shifting was a little more challenging, but it worked ok, in general.
I tore a tooth off the cog on my singlespeed 29er last season during a climb. In one smooth motion I dropped my chain, ****ed my top tube and flew off into the bushes.