Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Common sense on bicycle helmets

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Common sense on bicycle helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Covalent Jello
You forgot to mention that the vast majority of bikers hitting their heads involves velocities similar to 12mph, driven by gravity, even in most cases of being hit by cars.
No, I didn't. It left to the common sense of the reader to remember that:

1. Said 12mph speed will easily happen in a stumble while walking. You walk more than you cycle, so you're at more risk of a 12mph impact while walking (unless you are a VERY bad bike handler.) Do you wear a walking helmet?

2. Said 12 mph impact is very, very, VERY rarely fatal. I.e. the only accident that a helmet will function in is one that stands almost no chance of killing you. Almost all cyclist deaths involve 30-40mph impacts with cars. Oh - and 50-70% of the deaths due to head injury also involve torso injuries that would have proved fatal.

If you were a little less deceptive, (or maybe just more informed?), you would have taken that into account.
You must really regret saying this now, hmm?
Old 07-18-10, 07:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, you so showed me!
My case stands on the 12mph deception/misinformation you posted (neglected to post) btw.
See my last post for why you shouldn't go out without an adult....
Old 07-18-10, 07:54 AM
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, so I slammed my head into a rock, after falling. I was probably riding 20-30mph. My pedal got snagged on a rock and it kicked me off my bike. I landed on my shoulder, my head followed, it snapped/slammed into a 6" rock on the side, above my temple just about. My helmet split - all the way. I got up and felt like I had just hit my head on an empty carboard box - a great feeling, contrary to what I would have expected. The helmet did a fantastic job of not only protecting my skull from shattering, but it prevented concussion too. The whiplash effect of my head smashing into a rock instantly after my shoulder hit the ground was without a doubt around what they designed helmets for, yet it very easily could have shattered my skull, and possibly could have killed me. Same exact scenario could happen with a road bike, minus the reason for falling in the first place, of course (there are plenty of reasons to fall like this on a road bike, having your head whiplash into the ground after your upper body takes the initial pound).

Without a doubt, my helmet was designed to withstand that impact.
It saved my life, or, at least saved my skull from shattering, both equally pretty bad in terms of injury.

How is that any different from someone falling off their bike, or being bounced off a car, and then falling with a vertical component due to gravity, hitting their head on the pavement? Obviously, you can get hit by a car going 20mph in a horizontal direction, and, after being bounced (your body took the direct impact, not your head), your vertical velocity of travel isn't going to be 20mph in most cases - it will be a velocity proportional to the effects of gravity.

a) address that regarding your belief that 12mph standards are seemingly worthless with regard to saving lives
b) did you ever take a physics course - just wondering who I'm speaking to here.

Last edited by Covalent Jello; 07-18-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So. To finish over-killing the OP's irritatingly innumerate irrationality:

https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1012.html

The premise that helmets save lives is by extrapolation from research that has suggested that helmets might reduce injuries to the head. As most fatalities involve head injury (this applies to all major external causes of violent death, not especially cycling), the reasoning is that by reducing injuries to the head, cycle helmets can lead to fewer cyclist deaths.

Whole population statistics for cycling fatalities do not support the above hypothesis.

Long-term analyses of fatalities in Canada [8], New Zealand [9] and USA [10] [11] show no helmet benefit; indeed, one study [11] suggests helmeted cyclists are more likely to be killed. Although fatality rates have generally declined, cyclists have fared no better than pedestrians. In Great Britain, too, there has been no discernible improvement in fatality trends relative to pedestrians as helmets have become more common [12] [13] .

In New South Wales, Australia in the three years following the introduction of its helmet law, 80% of cyclists killed and 80% of those seriously injured wore helmets at the time [3] [4]. These proportions are almost identical to wearing rates in street surveys (85% and 83% for adults in 1992 and 1993 respectively; 76% and 74% for children [3] [5]), suggesting that helmets had little effect on the likelihood of fatal or serious injury.

In Western Australia where bicycle helmets have been mandatory for all ages since July 1992, the annual cyclist death toll from 1987 to 1991 (pre-law) averaged 7.6 fatalities per year. From 1993 to 1997 (post-law) it was 6.4 fatalities per year, representing a 16% reduction [6]. Government cycling surveys show cycling declined in Western Australia by approximately 30% during the 1990s following mandatory helmet law enforcement [7]. Thus the increase in helmet wearing as a result of the law did not reduce fatalities relative to cycle use and may have led to an increase.

Comparing Australia-wide fatalities in 1988 (before any helmet law) with 1994 (when all states had enforced laws and about 80% helmet wearing), cyclist, pedestrian and all road user deaths fell by 35%, 36% and 38% respectively. Head injury deaths fell by 30%, 38% and 42%. Despite very high helmet use, the reductions for cyclists were less than for the other road users [17]. The differences are much greater still if the considerable fall in cycle use as a result of the helmet laws is taken into account.
Old 07-18-10, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 2007 Rodriguez Ultimate Touring Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kludgefudge
....I appreciate the apology, but you haven't even skimmed that thread, have you?
I read quite a bit of it, but there seemed to be little light being shed.
Old 07-18-10, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, so I slammed my head into a rock, after falling. I was probably riding 20-30mph. My pedal got snagged on a rock and it kicked me off my bike. I landed on my shoulder, my head followed, it snapped/slammed into a 6" rock. My helmet split - all the way. I got up and felt like I had just hit my head on an empty carboard box - a great feeling, contrary to what I would have expected.
This explains a lot.

Without a doubt, my helmet was designed to withstand that impact. It saved my life, or, at least saved my skull from shattering, both equally pretty bad in terms of injury.
No, it wasn't. Check the manufacturer's spec.

How is that any different from someone falling off their bike, or being bounced off a car and then falling due to gravity, hitting their head on the pavement
I suspect the biggest difference is that it didn't actually happen.

Also - to point out what should have been completely obvious to even an idiot - the dangerous bit of being hit by a car is the impact WITH THE BIG SHINY FAST HEAVY METAL THING. Not the bit afterwards when you fall on the ground. That's the easy bit.

Really - this isn't rocket science: being hit by big, heavy, fast moving things made out of metal is dangerous!

b) did you ever take a physics course - just wondering who I'm speaking to here.
Well, I have a degree in theoretical physics from one of the top five rated science universities in the world. Although I don't claim that you need to be an Associate of the Royal College Of Science to know that "being hit by big, heavy, fast moving things made out of metal is dangerous!" (Although I am.) Other than that, a large part of my professional life has been spent doing project risk analysis.
Old 07-18-10, 08:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly - I can't say this enough people - BEING HIT BY CARS IS DANGEROUS! Avoid it. Don't think "Hey, after that car hits me at 40mph, I'm going to fall only 3 feet on to tarmac, and my helmet will easily cope with that, so I am COMPLETELY SAFE!" Because this will get you killed. Despite what Jello (whose parents certainly christened him with an apt name) thinks, it's not the ground that kills, it's the car.
Old 07-18-10, 08:12 AM
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
This explains a lot.

No, it wasn't. Check the manufacturer's spec.

I suspect the biggest difference is that it didn't actually happen.

Also - to point out what should have been completely obvious to even an idiot - the dangerous bit of being hit by a car is the impact WITH THE BIG SHINY FAST HEAVY METAL THING. Not the bit afterwards when you fall on the ground. That's the easy bit.

Really - this isn't rocket science: being hit by big, heavy, fast moving things made out of metal is dangerous!

Well, I have a degree in theoretical physics from one of the top five rated science universities in the world. Although I don't claim that you need to be an Associate of the Royal College Of Science to know that "being hit by big, heavy, fast moving things made out of metal is dangerous!" (Although I am.) Other than that, a large part of my professional life has been spent doing project risk analysis.
You really aren't even worth talking to, or wasting energy on - you're clearly just being obtuse for the sake of it.

I know your type - those with the irrational black&white thinking processes of many an engineer/scientist, to the point where you find it hard to communicate anything but yes or no. If you're still confused, reread my post, you'll hopefully discover that you completely, without a doubt, missed the point. Your hyperbole & intense emotion confirms your unwillingness to communicate on a rational level, as of now, at least.

Last edited by Covalent Jello; 07-18-10 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So - am I being obtuse or representing poor Jello unfairly? Let's see what he said:

How is that any different from someone falling off their bike, or being bounced off a car, and then falling with a vertical component due to gravity, hitting their head on the pavement? Obviously, you can get hit by a car going 20mph in a horizontal direction, and, after being bounced (your body took the direct impact, not your head), your vertical velocity of travel isn't going to be 20mph in most cases - it will be a velocity proportional to the effects of gravity.
So, HELL YES, it was fair of me of to represent his argument as

"Hey, after that car hits me at 40mph, I'm going to fall only 3 feet on to tarmac, and my helmet will easily cope with that, so I am COMPLETELY SAFE!"

And once again, for anyone sharing Jello's intellectual gifts, the above is NOT true! Being hit by a car 1. hurts, and is 2. dangerous - even if you have arranged to land on a feather bed afterwards.
Old 07-18-10, 08:18 AM
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For starters, we could note that I said 20mph, not 40mph (LOL?)
But I told myself I wouldnt waste energy on you. I'm gonna go bike my ass off now. With a helmet. That isn't cracked in 2!
Old 07-18-10, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For starters, we could note that I said 20mph, not 40mph (LOL?)
Oh - that makes a huge difference: being hit a ton of metal moving at 20mph won't hurt at all! Really! In fact, should go out and stand in front of a SUV moving at 20 mph right now. Get a friend to take a video for YouTube and shout "Evolution in action!" just before the moment of impact.
Old 07-18-10, 08:38 AM
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Physics, proper statistical analysis, scientifically controlled studies, objective rational thinking, and adequate risk/benefit analysis cannot hope to compete with fear, prejudice and anecdotes.

But Meanwhile, I applaud your effort to do so. If the need to wear a helmet and likelihood of serious injury were anywhere close to what the helmet paranoids claim, I would wear a full face helmet and leathers (like I do on my motorcycles) or not ride at all. The typical bicycle helmet protects the part of the head least likely to be impacted in a fall. Ref. The Hurt study on motorcycle helmets.

Road cyclists do not wear full face helmets. This is not because they are not safer, it is for the same reasons many experienced cyclists do not wear helmets at all.

The OP started this thread as if this debate and these arguments, every last one of them, hadn't been published ad naseum before his post.
Old 07-18-10, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't wear one, who gives a crap. You won't do much whining when your noggin's busted open
Old 07-18-10, 08:55 AM
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkane77g
Don't wear one, who gives a crap. You won't do much whining when your noggin's busted open
The predictable, ad hominem appeal to anecdote. In this case an anecdote that pretends to be able to see the future. Anyone can play the anecdote game. Here's my favorite: In over 55 years of riding, mostly in the streets, I've never hit my head. I few falls caused by collisions with dogs, people, skaters. Only two of those were in a street (dog, person). In each of those I was moving about 25 mph.

How about a NEW argument, not that a prediction about the future is even an argument. =o)
Old 07-18-10, 09:40 AM
DEJA VU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danarnold
Physics, proper statistical analysis, scientifically controlled studies, objective rational thinking, and adequate risk/benefit analysis cannot hope to compete with fear, prejudice and anecdotes.

But Meanwhile, I applaud your effort to do so. If the need to wear a helmet and likelihood of serious injury were anywhere close to what the helmet paranoids claim, I would wear a full face helmet and leathers (like I do on my motorcycles) or not ride at all. The typical bicycle helmet protects the part of the head least likely to be impacted in a fall. Ref. The Hurt study on motorcycle helmets.

Road cyclists do not wear full face helmets. This is not because they are not safer, it is for the same reasons many experienced cyclists do not wear helmets at all.

The OP started this thread as if this debate and these arguments, every last one of them, hadn't been published ad naseum before his post.
Hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole
Old 07-18-10, 09:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And, as you know, the main instrument of serious head damage is rotation, which normal bicycle helmets don't reduce in serious crashes and may make worse. Anyone who really wants to invest in their safety should invest in one of the new anti-rotation designs just beginning to appear. The only one I've seen was a full face design and cost £400...

When did "Common sense" become an acceptable euphemism for "I am too lazy to do any research"?
Old 07-18-10, 09:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole
Tourrettes?
Old 07-18-10, 09:51 AM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Helmets or the lack of helmets are the religions of the bike forum. Each side is constantly trying to covert the other side, neither listens to the other beyond the level needed to refute the other's arguments.
Old 07-18-10, 10:40 AM
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tourrettes?
Tourettes + ignorance of the meaning of 'hyperbole.'
Old 07-18-10, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gitarzan
Helmets or the lack of helmets are the religions of the bike forum. Each side is constantly trying to covert the other side, neither listens to the other beyond the level needed to refute the other's arguments.
That's *such* a useful contribution. It's also not true, as both closetbiker and I started out by being pro helmet.

More importantly - what's the very interesting drop handle bike in your sig pic?
Old 07-18-10, 10:59 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's *such* a useful contribution. It's also not true, as both closetbiker and I started out by being pro helmet.

More importantly - what's the very interesting drop handle bike in your sig pic?
I'm with gitarzan. This is a religious war. Sure, there are converts. But mostly there's just bickering.
Old 07-18-10, 11:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tourettes + ignorance of the meaning of 'hyperbole.'
Earlier I wondered if these posters were related (I was interested in several genetic possibilities) or in a group home. I genuinely wonder whether the posters to these threads who try to insist that we should all wear helmets are in some sort of assisted living for people that have suffered serious head trauma.
Old 07-18-10, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
I'm with gitarzan. This is a religious war. Sure, there are converts. But mostly there's just bickering.
Realistically, one side is right and one is wrong. Blaming both equally doesn't seem entirely reasonable...
Old 07-18-10, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
And, as you know, the main instrument of serious head damage is rotation, which normal bicycle helmets don't reduce in serious crashes and may make worse. Anyone who really wants to invest in their safety should invest in one of the new anti-rotation designs just beginning to appear. The only one I've seen was a full face design and cost £400...
A little help, Meanwhile - I thought that the helmet design you're referring was intended to dissipate energy with a two-layer design which allows energy to be better absorbed in the helmet, not prevent head rotation. I admittedly only looked at the information in passing. I'd appreciate a little more info. Thanks!
Old 07-18-10, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Meanwhile is talking about the Philips helmet. Using the magic of the Google machine I found the following:
https://www.phillipshelmets.com/
A conventional helmet, such as a motorcycle helmet, provides good protection from impact injuries but provides little protection against rotational injury or Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI) which is severe brain damage.
PHPS is a radical development in helmet design. It adds a lubricated flexible membrane over the outside of the helmet, and it is proven to add up to 60% more protection against brain injury.
A blow to the head causes a sharp and immediate rotation of the skull and the brain, which has potentially devastating and untreatable effects on soft brain tissue and blood vessels which can literally be ripped apart by the shearing forces inside the brain and the movement of the brain within the skull.

The lubricant and elastic quality of the PHPS membrane on a crash helmet decreases this rotational force in the critical milliseconds following impact, significantly reducing the head trauma and reducing the risk of traumatic brain injury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.