Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold Chest & Belly

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Cold Chest & Belly

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 07:35 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something is clearly letting freezing air inside. As many pointed out, balancing front wind protection with breathability is a common problem with cycling in cold weather and it works differently for everyone. A vest or jacket designed for cold weather will be often referred to as a "barrier" vest or jacket. The entire front is windproof and waterproof (including a good zipper!) and the sides and back are breathable. Not every cycling vest or jacket is designed like that.
Old 01-16-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I have noticed that the areas on me that are most padded also turn blotchy red/purple after I finish my ride. I don't notice it while I'm still riding. It can happen to me with temps below 48F.

I assume it is because the fat insulates the skin from the warmer core; and the surface blood vessels constrict to keep the core warmer.

It is itchy but I don't think it causes any problems if it's back to normal within an hour.

Thanks for making this post - none of the other people I ride with have this happen to them, so I've just tried to figure it out on my own.

Last edited by nkfrench; 01-16-11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-17-11, 06:59 AM
Kid A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I find my chest and belly get cold and turn red when I ride in temperatures under 30.
Give it up -- were you trying to ride shirtless? No, I have a "non-traditional" opinion of over-priced bike-specific clothing and am not the least surprised that a thin plasticky vest didn't work for you. Others have mentioned trying wool, but my personal choice is regular LS shirts and a good polartec (polarfleece) vest. Those really cut the wind and work great for me -- easy to move in too.

Gotta keep your core warm! You're not a shaved head guy like me, so you're probably good to go there .