Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bling and Being Noticed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bling and Being Noticed

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
If I want to be noticed, a ride on the recumbent or the Big Dummy will do it. All my bikes are unusual enough to catch the eye of anyone who is bike saavy, and most are equipped with nothing higher than mid level components.
No CK headsets here.
Old 09-20-11, 08:18 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
I made positive comments about them to the owner of the fixie with Phil Wood hubs when he pulled up to the bike rack at our hospital garage a while back. To the untrained eye, the green rims looked more blingy. Impressed to learn he built the wheels himself.
Old 09-20-11, 08:19 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I'm still a poor college kid, and even when I try to make my bikes look nice they always end up dead ugly just because of the randomness of all the components. I agree that a good functioning bike looks way cooler in my eyes than a pretty one that doesn't work.

I rarely hear comments on bikes, and I'm usually the guy that says them. Mostly old stuff that I think is cool. 600 tri-color bits here, an old Matrix rim there... The stuff they're not making anymore is what gets my attention.
Old 09-20-11, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I think most people will see the brand of bike and that's about all. I have campy equipment some of my bikes and no one has ever noticed, except the guy that runs the bike co-op, he looked at bike that I had just airbrushed 4 ugly colors and asked if I was trying to go for the too crappy to steal look and said it might work except for the nice looking campy headset.

The one bike that got a few comments was my 80's italian road bike but the only things that anyone notice was the pedals with toe clips and my old sidi shoes.
Old 09-20-11, 09:10 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
headset: no
groupo: yes

just admire it no comment.
Old 09-20-11, 09:17 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13048 Post(s)
Liked 7,978 Times in 4,246 Posts
I saw a dude roll up at the library today on a thrashed red bike with loop stays and a backwards layback seatpost. I was like "woah, is that an olde Yeti?" Then I saw the Paul brakes and then I was just like dayum!

CK headsets are kinda a dime a dozen 'round here though.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 09-20-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-20-11, 09:31 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've received many more compliments on my beater/commuter/utility bike that was pieced together with used, cheap, or laying around parts.
Old 09-21-11, 02:28 AM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
When I thought about building a bike for touring, I thought about something aesthetically pleasing because I'm the one who'd have to endure to look at it.

However, I have urges to build a bicycle that would be like a complete freak bike with purple grips, yellow headset, red seatpost clamp, green pedals, so on and so forth. I don't know why, I think it would be just rad to make one like that. I mean imagine if it had XT parts on it and people just looked at it like: "WTF?!?!" Who knows? Maybe people wouldn't want to steal it.
Old 09-21-11, 02:29 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13048 Post(s)
Liked 7,978 Times in 4,246 Posts
Sounds like a Skittles bike, not freak bike.
Old 09-21-11, 03:13 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Define Bling. I've had a couple of people ask me whether the Brooks saddle is "worth it" and how long did it take to get used to it. I even had one guy comment on the cut-out pre production trial B17 that he hasn't seen a Brooks like that before, and had I cut it myself. He obviously knew quite a bit about Brooks saddles.

Myself, I have commented on a very carefully uglified utility bike that had a Rohloff speedhub and a SON dynohub. Pretty much my dream commuting setup. The guy looked pleased and horrified at the same time, someone had recognised the hidden gems.

I think in those cases it was a question of having good quality gear, but displaying it very modestly. Does that count as "bling"?

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines

Last edited by Juha; 09-21-11 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 06:11 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike has so much stuff strapped to it in the name of functionality, I get people looking at it all the time trying to figure out what everything is. Other than my headlight, nothing on there cost more than $20.

Granted, I'm the only guy I've seen riding his fully loaded commuter on a 100k charity ride so I think that alone peaks curiosity.
Old 09-21-11, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Cannondale's R2000, R-1000, RT1000 Tandem , Killer-V 900HT, Miyata Dupli/Cross Tandem , Specialized Ground Control A1 Comp , K2 5.0 Comp , Trek 820 , Giant Kronos lugged steel ,Raleigh M-60, Gary Fisher Pro-Caliber.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have several bikes that have all the latest and greatest components and cost accordingly. However the bike that has got more attention and comments is a $5.00 garage sale Giant Kronos that I converted to a single speed. I repainted it and rebuilt it with a set of $100.00 wheels with flip/flop rear, track drops and trimmed Brooks Pro. I have ridden it the past 2 years on the Bike Across Kansas and it never failed to get several comments a day. I probably have $150.00 in it. Have even had people take photos of it.
Nuff said for bling.
Old 09-21-11, 06:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What color is your headset?
Old 09-21-11, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked 3,228 Times in 1,843 Posts
I was surprised to find a note on my commuter bike complimenting my handlebar tape (Benotto translucent white tape over white cork). It does look good; it's the only tape combo that stays white and shiny.
Old 09-21-11, 07:10 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
This gets more comments than anything.
Old 09-21-11, 07:22 AM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
I ride mostly older bikes, so they do get some comments based on that. But the item that probably drew the most attention, much of it unspoken (as they pondered my tendancies), was this original equipment on my '83 Trek 760:

PINK BAR TAPE AND CABLE HOUSINGS
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-21-11, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
This gets more comments than anything.
I know I'd like to get a ride on that.. contraption! I'd have to bring the autoharp, gram'g down and all that.

Brad
Old 09-21-11, 01:05 PM

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
For what it's worth, people seem more interested in my '56 Raleigh Trent Sports than in anything else I have. It has a 700c rear wheel, 26" front wheel, drum brakes, a two-speed derailleur AND a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub, and the front mudguard (fender to americans) is made from duct tape, two lengths of old brake cable housing and the fitting hardware from the SKS mudguard I used to have before I snapped it. The frame has rather an unsightly repair courtesy of a MIG welder, the chrome is totally knackered and the rear rack is made out of aluminium flat bar stock. I've spent maybe 100 quid on it in total, and in comparison, nobody seems to notice much about my other bikes, some of which are worth ten times that. The mudguards made from an old BMX tyre that I have on my folding bike do attract a few comments, though.

Edit: Wow, this post really does sound like I'm bragging. Wasn't intended to be that way, but it's gotta shows something about the workings of my mind if I brag about having a mudguard made of duct tape....

Last edited by Airburst; 09-21-11 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 01:25 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
If I can conclude anything from the above postings it's that it's the outrageous, garish, unusual and weird that gets most of the attention and draws the most comments. The small stuff, even if it's really expensive and top-drawer, is barely noticed.
Old 09-21-11, 01:34 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I notice and admire fine bikes of any style but rarely examine them closely enough to determine parts details. I also notice and admire strong riders on nondescript rides.
Old 09-21-11, 02:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sadly, I notice bikes before I notice riders, and as a result, I let some hot riders get away while staring at their blinged out bikes. I'm working on eye contact.
Old 09-21-11, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If I can conclude anything from the above postings it's that it's the outrageous, garish, unusual and weird that gets most of the attention and draws the most comments. The small stuff, even if it's really expensive and top-drawer, is barely noticed.
Hey now, my bikes might be a bit unusual, but outrageous, garish and weird? Well ok, maybe a bit weird too.
Old 09-21-11, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I think you are mixing notice and comment.

I definitely will notice a CK headset on your bike, and that automatically leads me to do a quick lookover of the rest of your components.

I won't necessarily comment on any of the items.
Old 09-21-11, 04:46 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,574 Posts
My whole bike is BLING!!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-21-11, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
My whole bike is BLING!!!

A really good photo, B'Girl.

Brad

PS Lovely bike also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.