Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Be-Seen Head Lamp for Daylight Running

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Be-Seen Head Lamp for Daylight Running

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 04:24 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Recumbentracer
Sorry I couldn't reply to your PM (not enough posts yet, apparently), but I would definitely put the DesignShine Lights out there for consideration for daytime running lights. The taillight really has no equal (even compared to the 400R). When nothing but the absolute brightest daytime taillight will do, the DS-500 is pretty much it.

Here's a couple of good videos:
Prototype DS-500 testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRB-6FokXw4

Daytime comparison with the 400R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVisF...otation_291127

So, on the front end, there's the matching DS-1300 headlight. This is a very unique headlight in that it has the option of an amber daylight running filter that's easily removed (with a single screw). Even with the yellow filter, you could still use it for a see-the-road light, but typically, if you're out on a long ride that goes after sun-set, you'd just take the filter off and keep going. The light has a road-bike friendly mode where you just toggle back and forth between medium and high power. Think of it as "low" beams and "high" beams. On medium (roughly 600 lumens), you still have plenty of see-the-road light, but you won't blind oncoming drivers. The highest power mode, really should be reserved for lonely stretches of road at night, or flashing during the day (1300 lumens).

One thing that isn't mentioned much with regard to daytime running is the "duty-cycle" of the flash. The lower power lights will typically have a much shorter duty-cycle (ratio of on-time to off-time), and my experience has been that the longer duty-cycle at the right frequency is much more effective during the day. The DS-1300 duty-cycle is nearly %50, but you can still get over 13 hours use flashing on high with the 5200mAH battery.

Here's a good video with a ride-by using the yellow lens. Do note that the camera doesn't do a very good job of capturing the yellow tint for some reason. It really is very "other-wordly" looking in real life. If you want to skip over directly to the ride-by, just go to about 4 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opt1XI1oatA

Lots more good info at:
www.DesignShineLighting.com
(including the latest Build Blog)
and
https://sites.google.com/site/design...ing/the_lights

OK - no disrespect intended, I just feel like I'm missing something. Having exchanged a few emails with you myself, and having expressed an interest in buying one or more - I think my opinion is probably representative of many perspective clients. The design is good and the initial units apparently proved the concept, but without any actual stock to ship you don't actually have a product - just a design. And your opinion a couple days ago was that once your virtual store was up and running - that you couldn't hope to keep up with the demand. So what's the point in teasing people with posts of this nature? From my point of view there's no difference if something is discontinued, back ordered or still in development. Bottom line is - I can't have it and need to find an alternative. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Burton; 01-09-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 04:46 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I use an 18650 powered light with a xm-l emitter on flashing mode. I get about 3.5 hours before I need to change the battery.
Here is Dave in Bright Sun Light...Brightest Light I have ever seen.

Old 01-09-12, 04:47 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Ixon IQ

Old 01-09-12, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Recumbentracer
...I would definitely put the DesignShine Lights out there for consideration for daytime running lights...So, on the front end, there's the matching DS-1300 headlight. This is a very unique headlight in that it has the option of an amber daylight running filter that's easily removed...One thing that isn't mentioned much with regard to daytime running is the "duty-cycle" of the flash. The lower power lights will typically have a much shorter duty-cycle (ratio of on-time to off-time), and my experience has been that the longer duty-cycle at the right frequency is much more effective during the day...
Originally Posted by Burton
...So what's the point in teasing people with posts of this nature? From my point of view there's no difference if something is discontinued, back ordered or still in development. Bottom line is - I can't have it and need to find an alternative. Am I missing something?
I invited Recumbentracer (DesignShine) to share his knowledge about daytime visibility. I knew from reading the DS blog and a thread on MTBR the product was not available (and out of my price range for now, teased him with my interest), but still felt there was information he could contribute about my daytime be-seen question, and other readers may be interested also.

I'm grateful to everyone's contribution to this thread, thanks all!

Recumbentracer's insight on duty cycle has me reconsidering my preferred rapid flash mode for the rear light.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Here is Dave in Bright Sun Light...Brightest Light I have ever seen...
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Ixon IQ...
If you have an opportunity, take photos from a greater distance in the daylight.
Old 01-09-12, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clarification

Sorry guys, no tease intended. I should have been more clear that these lights are more like the "experimental aircraft" version of bike lights. Very high quality, lots of attention to detail, but not readily available. Since my inspiration for these light came out of a desire for better daytime visibility, it seemed like the right place to put out just some basic info. I appreciate the opportunity to highlight the design, which will eventually turn into real hardware, hopefully later this month. I maintain the Build Blog so that people can keep up with my progress (or lack thereof), and I figure those that are really interested won't mind waiting a bit to try them out. But you're right on both counts, if you need something now, these are definitely not it. And since I'm only making about 35+ headlights in the current batch, they won't last long. However, I can't tell you how many good business contacts I've made through forums like this. There may be a future option for really ramping up production based on conversations that I've had a with a few folks, but it's a real financing issue at the moment. Doing a market "test" like this with smaller quantities definitely helps me determine if there may be larger market potential. Trying to compete in this market with all the, how shall we say, non-US-based product is not for the faint of heart. The product needs to be compellingly good and highly functional, but even that may not be enough.

One other aspect of daytime running lights that's fairly important is the beam width. So for best effectiveness, you should try to get the widest angle beam that you can. Of course, the more you spread the light, the more power you need, so there's a bit of a trade there. I would point out that on the new DS-1300 design, you can easily swap out lenses and use two ellipticals if you're primarily running in the daytime. The coverage then becomes very similar to the lights that you see on EMS vehicles, only a good bit brighter.

Thanks for the invite to the forum... great topic.

Last edited by Recumbentracer; 01-10-12 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For daylight riding, I use a Night Rider 600 on strobe.

https://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126183534
Old 01-17-12, 06:51 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
It's the unaware daytime driver I want to target, and target them from a long distance, before they reach for a button, cell phone, or turn to talk to a passenger, or plan to early apex a corner.

Basically, that is what I have been trying to say all along in all my posts. Most of the time, I get flak from people saying that bike lights blind other drivers. I would say that is a discomfort at the most. However, what you have stated should be paramount. Because the end result of not being seen can be very bad for the bicycle rider. That is why I put "being seen" as #1 priority!!
Old 01-17-12, 05:42 PM
sic transit gloria mundi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And I do not know how you can blind someone during the day...
Old 01-18-12, 10:43 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by trek2.3bike
For daylight riding, I use a Night Rider 600 on strobe.

https://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?IGPK=2126183534
That's my next light. Right now I'm using an older DiNotte that puts out about 200 lumen and a fenix strapped on the helmet, on a 215 lumen strobe. They're pretty good for night time but hard to see during the day.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-18-12, 10:54 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rfomenko
And I do not know how you can blind someone during the day...
Sheesh, you haven't run into the LIGHT POLICE yet!!!
Old 03-29-13, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DiNotte has a new 400A be-seen head lamp model. Dual quad amber LEDs with updated circuitry. It doesn't seem to be as glaringly intense to my eye as the new daytime only 400R Red, but plenty attention grabbing just the same.
Old 03-30-13, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Yes, it's as ridiculously bright as it claims it is.

/endthread.
Old 03-30-13, 06:35 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Yes, it's as ridiculously bright as it claims it is.

/endthread.

Just for laughs - could you translate this quote from that link of yours into plain English please?
All products from TSSS are manufactured following the same quality standard as the original manufacturer.
Old 03-30-13, 11:03 AM
Just a geek

Bikes: LHT, Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
... Right now I'm using an older DiNotte that puts out about 200 lumen and a fenix strapped on the helmet, on a 215 lumen strobe. They're pretty good for night time but hard to see during the day.
Really? I've got a buddy I regularly come upon riding who has, I believe, a 150 lumen light on strobe and it's anything but hard to see. Not trying to start a debate (hard to argue that a 600 wouldn't be more noticeable) but, to those of you on a budget or counting every gram, don't discount the effectiveness of a 150-300 lumen strobing daytime headlight.
Old 03-30-13, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
For low duty cycles (10%) , LEDs can be pulsed up the 3X the max steady state current so are capable of being much brighter in flash mode. Whether they are or not depends on if the driving circuit is doing that.

With my 2W Planet Bike headlight in flash mode, I've had oncoming cars flash their highbeams at me at dusk and on heavy overcast days. I don't know if they were just being friendly, or complaining about the brightness of the light.