Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I took my road bike today on the commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I took my road bike today on the commute

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did today.

Old 06-21-12, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 381 Posts
And today I remembered why I didn't ride me road bike initially. You just don't leave a nice bike on the streets of NYC. Now I have indoor secure parking.
Old 06-21-12, 08:01 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have <20lb road bike I commute on whenever the weather is fine. It's a nice ride and I'm often tempted to do extra miles. And it gives me the option of doing some fast lunch laps.
Old 06-21-12, 08:08 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just want to give big props to all the sport/race road bikes used for commuting.

IMO, that is the only way to go...
Old 06-21-12, 09:03 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I suspect the biggest difference between a 'race ready' road bike and most commuters is an absence of fenders, racks, saddlebags, lights and full water bottles. All that extra weight probably eclipses any basic weight differences between the two stripped bikes. But even at that - I personally never arrive late for work just because I drove in a hybrid rather than a road bike.
Old 06-21-12, 11:44 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
And today I remembered why I didn't ride me road bike initially. You just don't leave a nice bike on the streets of NYC. Now I have indoor secure parking.
Word.
Old 06-22-12, 12:49 AM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4345
Not to sound like a pervert or anything. But when nice looking women pull right in front of you, I find it a good omen, and just let the ride ahead with me just a couple meters back.
Yeah, I know just what you mean! This one pulled right in front of me today, and wouldn't let me pass her for a whole two hours! I'm really upset about this! ...Can't you tell?

Finally, she stopped, winked at me, and let me pass on my way to church!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
005.jpg (95.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by SlimRider; 06-22-12 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 02:21 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's mine about 4 years ago when I got her.
Changed a few things through time, new saddle (Ritchey Pro Biomax) and black bar tape. All black tires, lost the seatbag as well. I've done the "Ronde van Vlaanderen" and "Theo de Rooij Classic" last year. They're not laughing at me anymore
Old 06-22-12, 04:59 AM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zacster says:

Yea, they get annoyed because they had all passed me at some point, the bridge is a bit narrow, and I myself get annoyed when somebody blows by me when I'm on my regular commuter bike.

And sometimes the girls are hot, and sometimes not. Just like in real life. I'll talk to the hot ones and don't get the cold shoulder that I used to get when I was young. Age has benefits.
Yeah! Hey,you noticed that too__! The only thing is, sometimes it looks like patronage and sometimes it looks like pity...But at least they're smiling, anyways!

I've been using my Trek 8000 mtb with slicks as my commuter for a few years. I never rode to work before here in NYC, it always seemed like a crazy idea but they've been adding so many bike lanes that it doesn't feel unsafe anymore.
Well that sounds mighty Fredly of you!

On my roadie, I would only ride Manhattan on weekends when the traffic was much lighter, and clipless pedals in traffic and with rough streets and sudden stops just made me feel like a candidate for club tombay, nevermind the two trips to the ER, one with BOTH wrists broken, the other with my lip hanging off. No thanks. I'm also almost 60, somewhat overweight like a lot of men my age, and just shouldn't be blowing anyone away anymore.
I remember when I first started to commute. Practically all we had back then were road bikes! I blew 'em away then and I'll still blow 'em away! Beats just lookin' at them cuties! You're missin' out on all the fun, boy!

ThermionicScott says:

Why wouldn't you use a road bike? Back in the day, aspiring racers needing to use the same bike for everything.
That's exactly what I'm tryin' to say here, Scott!
Old 06-22-12, 07:21 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride from Maspeth in Queens to 1st Ave/34th St. It's actually a bit faster on my road bike. I was able to do this under 30 minutes easily. The shortest time on my regular commuter bike is around 35 minutes, usually 40.

Although, I didn't feel safe in traffic on skinny tires, and going 25mph up First Ave was a bit uncomfortable too. I much rather chug along slowly on fat tires.
Old 06-22-12, 02:27 PM
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do. I mix commuting in with my regular rides. We have a shower, lockers and can park my bike at work inside (bike stands a few feet from my cube).

I have 2 road bikes (one steel, one carbon), (Jamis Quest Frame, 9 Speed Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, Focus Izalco Pro 3 with Easton EA90 wheels, along with a mountain bike (old Gary Fisher Tassajara. Since I got the carbon bike, I put race fenders on the steel bike and use that when I commute, though some times I do commute on my carbon bike especially if I want to take an extra long route home. I've commuted on my mountain bike in really crappy weather.

I do have lights (2 600 Lumen Niteriders, one on handlebar and one on helmet) and a 2 watt rear light along with some flashers on my back pack. Switching the lights between bikes is a 15 second job.
Old 06-22-12, 02:48 PM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have a slightly heavier steel road bike with a rack and panniers (standard cromoly, prob around 22lbs without the rack and bags) that's my main commuter, and a 18lb steel Torelli (Columbus Nemo) road bike that considerably zoomier. I try to take the commuter more often because its more practical, but the Torelli is more fun.
Old 06-22-12, 05:00 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i bought myself another carbon fiber commuter for ~$1360 the other day (20% off sale):

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...52_-1___202613

this replaced my fancy lugged steel drop. steel is just too bouncy.
Attached Images
NB-CR2A-NCL-SIDE.jpg (15.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-22-12, 07:14 PM
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On nice days when I feel a bit youngish, I haul out my old road bike and ride into work. I can't say that my average speed is much more (such is the nature of an urban commute), but it does feel great.

Old 06-22-12, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that being on my road bike is not that much faster than my commuter bike when commuting to work. The main reason is that with the CX bike I can go through most rail and street car tracks, potholes, cracks, sewer grates on the road without the need to slow down. Also I use MTB style double sided clipless pedals on the CX which I find faster to get in and out of compared to single sided road pedals. There are plenty of stop lights in my 27.5 km (one way) commute:

Old 06-22-12, 10:34 PM

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I go through all of those on my road bike. Though my ride is not nearly as long or as bad. I'm probably going to get a flat soon VERY enjoyable video.

Last edited by blargman; 06-22-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 12:38 AM

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo; 2007 Specialized Sequoia; 2011 Bike Friday Pocket Sport (for traveling & touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
That is commuting overkill. Nice bike!!! I take it you won't be locking that up outside!! Beautiful bike! That Scott bike is sweet. That is a bike that throws you over the tops of hills i bet.
What is the pack? I googled dynopack and dynapack, couldn't find anything. I'm researching non-rack mounted packs for same purpose as you (commuting on carbon).
Old 06-23-12, 02:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blargman
I go through all of those on my road bike. Though my ride is not nearly as long or as bad. I'm probably going to get a flat soon VERY enjoyable video.
Glad you enjoyed the video. The ability to use wider/lower pressure/more robust tires is one reason why I prefer commuting on the CX bike as opposed to my road bike. The tires (and rims) of my road bike will not last as long if I used it for commuting.
Old 06-23-12, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you still run the Schwalbe sammy slicks on the CAADX?
Old 06-23-12, 10:08 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
I took one of my road bikes on the commute today... when the sun is shining and know I don't need to be carrying much I break out the lighter bikes and quite often I find myself taking the looooong way home.

Same thing happens if I take my mtb to the shop... I usually end up taking the looong and diiiiirty way home.
Old 06-24-12, 07:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blargman
Do you still run the Schwalbe sammy slicks on the CAADX?
My CAADX Tiagra is the 2011 9 speed version which came with Continental Cyclocross Speed 700 x 35c tires which I highly recommend for commuting. Excellent traction in both dry and wet weather, light (only 360 grams, same as 700 x 28c Conti Gatorskin road tires), folding bead (supple and easy to get in and out of the rims), bomb proof (I have 3000+ km on mine and no flats), and reasonably priced. I use them on the trails too...

Attached Images
i652Eawt712IJ.jpg (78.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-24-12, 10:01 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRedWolf
What is the pack? I googled dynopack and dynapack, couldn't find anything. I'm researching non-rack mounted packs for same purpose as you (commuting on carbon).
Pack is a Topeak Dynapack. You might also want to look at some of the ZIXTRO lineup:
https://www.zixtro.com/products/produ...p?M=9999&uID=3
Old 06-25-12, 06:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my new commuter, Specialized had a pretty good closeout on these on these and i got a lot more bike for my money and it makes a heck of a bike to do the 50 miler haul out to Andice with the zillion of other cyclists up here in north austin

Attached Images
bike.jpg (91.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-25-12, 06:51 PM
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Man, riding a road bike to work is great -- that pitched over position, with your tights and really small jersey that exposes your lower back. Everyone gets a great view of your hairy, dimpled ass when you pass by and they think you're really cool and want to be you.

Oh, and for women cyclists. Most of them really want you to try to chit-chat and offer tons of unsolicited advice out there. Because they don't really know what to do, since they're women. Try saying something like "hey, try spinning a faster cadence on the hills" or "man, your legs are big -- do you race?" If they try to ignore you completely, or say something like "oh, gee thanks" and roll their eyes, don't get discouraged. They're playing hard to get! Keep trying you idiot!

Then you'll be a stud.
Old 06-25-12, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
Man, riding a road bike to work is great -- that pitched over position, with your tights and really small jersey that exposes your lower back. Everyone gets a great view of your hairy, dimpled ass when you pass by and they think you're really cool and want to be you.
When i ride to work, i just wear shorts, tshirt and my backpack. I'm pretty sure my butt hangs out more in my regular clothes, even when riding my cruiser or MTB

Oh, and for women cyclists. Most of them really want you to try to chit-chat and offer tons of unsolicited advice out there. Because they don't really know what to do, since they're women. Try saying something like "hey, try spinning a faster cadence on the hills" or "man, your legs are big -- do you race?" If they try to ignore you completely, or say something like "oh, gee thanks" and roll their eyes, don't get discouraged. They're playing hard to get! Keep trying you idiot!

Then you'll be a stud.
what? haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.