Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strange stuff seen while riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strange stuff seen while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 12:51 AM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayp410
this seat was mounted either on a rack behind the seat .
That's how we did it in the '70's, although I do remember the ride as "terrifying." Couldn't wait to finally get on my own bike.
Old 08-21-12, 01:05 AM

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
somehow strapped onto the bike in a little seat. It was not a tow-behind trailer - this seat was mounted either on a rack behind the seat
this is totally standard.....
Old 08-21-12, 04:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this while driving but it involves a bike... Saw a young woman riding a bike on US1 in Key West with her infant (less than 1 yr old) somehow strapped onto the bike in a little seat. It was not a tow-behind trailer - this seat was mounted either on a rack behind the seat or on the top tube somehow (can't remember which). Now I don't have kids, but if I did, there is NO WAY I would carry an infant on a bike...one crash and that baby is dead. US1 in Key West is not the safest place to ride a bike either...it's a fairly busy road with stop lights and side streets, a high percentage of drivers are tourists who don't know the roads, and an above average number of drivers who have recently had too much to drink.
Melodramatic much?
Old 08-21-12, 05:03 AM

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this while driving but it involves a bike... Saw a young woman riding a bike on US1 in Key West with her infant (less than 1 yr old) somehow strapped onto the bike in a little seat. It was not a tow-behind trailer - this seat was mounted either on a rack behind the seat or on the top tube somehow (can't remember which). Now I don't have kids, but if I did, there is NO WAY I would carry an infant on a bike...one crash and that baby is dead. US1 in Key West is not the safest place to ride a bike either...it's a fairly busy road with stop lights and side streets, a high percentage of drivers are tourists who don't know the roads, and an above average number of drivers who have recently had too much to drink.
My dad cycled with me in a set up like this until I was coming up on 3 years old. It was the 70s, stuff was different back then. Those trailers weren't common, I don't think, and those super small bikes for little kids were not either. You didn't get your own bike until you were about 6. I remember I thought it was great, riding with Dad. No, of course we didn't wear helmets. Nobody did. Then again, this is the same man that used to let me sit on his lap while he was driving and let me steer the car at about the same age.
Old 08-21-12, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Melodramatic much?
Guess I touched a nerve with that one. I haven't seen a setup like that before, but then again I live and ride out in the country. Still seems like a risky thing to do, considering that people go to great lengths to baby-proof their houses, put their kids in child seats in cars, etc... carrying them on a bike like that on a busy street is unnecessary risk IMO. But, whatever.
Old 08-21-12, 04:14 PM
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i see hookers, drug dealers and general hustler type lay abouts every day...that used to be weird....
Old 08-21-12, 05:03 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
i see hookers, drug dealers and general hustler type lay abouts every day...that used to be weird....
I once saw a blond woman in a t-top Corvette and the license tag was "CLIT". ISYN.
Old 08-21-12, 05:28 PM
You don't know me.

Bikes: Felt F85, Trek 1200, Schwinn Varsity, Nashbar AT-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding out in the country when a guy started emptying a glock (at a target) maybe 40 yards from the road. Gave me a scare, I didn't know he was there at first. Much louder than in call of duty .
Old 08-21-12, 05:37 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Almost choked on my Clif Bar a few years ago when I saw a redtail hawk flying with the backside of 4-6 foot rattlesnake still alive in its talons. The snake was thrashing around, but injured and not able to strike up at the hawk. The hawk was grinding out the flaps, clearly having trouble flying with this massive snake. I went off the road and fell over while trying to get my camera out. The hawk landed atop a telephone pole, but when it saw me staring up at it, it winced, gathered itself, and took off flapping laboriously with the still alive snake in its grasp.
Old 08-21-12, 06:07 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw today a women with two helmets hanging on her handlebars, but nothing on her head.
Old 08-21-12, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoym, Trek Varde

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
I saw today a women with two helmets hanging on her handlebars, but nothing on her head.
Did she have two heads?
Old 08-21-12, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Road riding through a remote area outside of Sparks, NV with a friend in 1992 we found a guy in a powered paraglider hanging from a utility pole who said he had been hanging there for an hour or so and no one had seen him. Appaerently he had collided with the pole while trying to avoid getting entangled in the cables, but he had just managed to get himself even more tangled up very close to the top of the pole. Since none of us had a cell phone back in those days I rode back into Sparks to call for help while my friend stayed with the "pilot" and luckily I ran into a Nevada Highway Patrol just as I appraoched town.

He called for a rescue squad and firetruck and then very kindly offered to put my bike in his truck and give me a ride back to where the paraglider was hanging, but when he caught first sight of the guy hanging from the pole he just busted up laughing. I would guess that it was about an another hour from the time I headed back to Sparks and the firetruck showed up, and the guy in the paraglider was was looking pretty exhausted from hanging from the pole with that large prop on his back.
you win.
Old 08-22-12, 06:22 AM

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was riding down the street on my Pug, when a tow truck driver was driving the other way with both hands out the window taking a picture of my bike and yelling about my wheels. No hands driving for a good distance
Old 08-22-12, 08:10 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only way to be sure is to drive your infant in a tank.
Old 08-22-12, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
On my last ride, Thursday I think, I was flagged down by a couple of cyclists because the man had a flat. As I approach to help I notice their bicycles. Both of them had bicycles that had to be $3000 bikes in nice clean pristine condition. Then I notice that not one of them has a seat bag, or for that matter any kind of item holding container. Both have nice helmets and proper cycling attire clipless pedals included. No frame pumps, and carbon bottle cages holding bottles of smart water. The wife didn't know much about bikes or cycling and the husband sounded bike savy but didn't have the slightest idea how to patch a tire. Now I'm sure this isn't overly uncommon but I couldn't help but think about how strange it was to have such expensive bikes and not have any of the cycling necessities; left my scratching my head the in confusion the rest of the day.
I really hope you didn't give them any of your supplies. Offer to help, but don't encourage other riders to venture out unprepared. Otherwise, they will just keep using others.
Old 08-22-12, 09:33 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ticktockpedal
you win.
I use to lead the ground crew for a very competitive sailplane team and the regionals and nationals would often be held in Minden, NV so seeing sailplanes, powered paragliders, and others who were forced to land in an emergency was fairly common sight over the years.

Once our glider was forced to land on a hill on an Indian reservation near an old mostly abandoned gas station/tourist stop, and our pilot could not make radio contact with us. Then he tried to find a pay phone and he was told to look in the old refigerator beside the building, and sure enough when he opened the door, there was a standard payphone hanging from the back wall. It seems that when the phone was in a normal phone booth someone kept tearing out the phone and stealing the booth. After losing several booths, the owner had the phone mounted in the refigerator and the phone was left alone after that. No one ever figured out what the theif was doing with the old booths.
Old 08-22-12, 09:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
+1 Pa used to take me barhopping on the tank of his little Honda when we lived in Georgia. Said the only time he was ever worried was when he was making a call in a phone booth during a lightning storm and he woke up unconscious. (Apparently you can get electrocuted if the phone lines get struck by lightning.) Some lady was holding me and looking down at him and said something like, "Don't you know no better'n to stay outta phone booths during a thunderstorm?!?" He said her mouth dropped open when he thanked her and carried me over to the bike before firing it up and riding off with me on the tank.

Now I'm a rider too, but no kids; just a dog who's been riding with me for 12+ years.
Old 08-22-12, 10:44 AM
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh hell no. Tanks - and Army vehicles in general - are in no way "child safe". Sharp, unpadded protusions everywhere.

DG
Old 08-22-12, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoym, Trek Varde

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seen 3 strange things today... all on a MUP.

1. Was riding past this guy and his dog. The guy was carrying a big wooden stick and the dog was unleashed. When I got up to them to dog started chasing me like unleashed dogs may do. Then the guy starts yelling at and beating the dog with the big stick. So instead of taking his dog out in public on a leash the moron will let it roam freely and then beat it when it chases people...

2. Seen a female riding her bike with no hands... that's because she was busy rubbing her breasts as she was riding down the MUP. Definitely takes the cake for the strangest thing I've ever seen so far.

3. Waiting at a red traffic light at a crosswalk (the red hand signal) this female driver about to make a right suddenly slams on her breaks and looks at me like she's waiting for me to go. I was already stopped before she got there and had my feet down on the ground and was standing up. So I just stood there as I was not about to cross through a red light... then she honks her horn at me and waves me at me to go through the red light. I stand there and ignore her... she beeps again but a longer beep and waves me through again. Meanwhile traffic is backed up behind her from other people trying to make right turns and they are honking at her to go... after she honks at me for the third time and waves me to go through she finally squeals her tires and turns like she's mad at me for not going...
Old 08-22-12, 04:47 PM

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one time I was riding home from work in downtown chicago and the lake path usually gets pretty busy with commuters and tourists. I got caught up in an impromptu paceline that carried for like 4 or 5 miles in the craziest foot traffic possible. That in itself is not that weird but who was in the line was quite strange. The guy who was carrying the pace the entire time had some old 80s steel frame with a milk carton rack, The man himself was wearing one of those blaze green vests, and was wearing a huge 80s motorcycle helmet. Everyone following him was on nice road bikes and light to no gear.

I will never forget the intensity at which this man rode at.
Old 08-22-12, 04:59 PM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I witnessed the opposite on a picnic table along side a trail in Normal, IL a few years ago. Gal sprawled out on a picnic table and the guy, well, you get the rest.
Apparently that is Normal behavior.
Old 08-22-12, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VarsityXC
I was riding out in the country when a guy started emptying a glock (at a target) maybe 40 yards from the road. Gave me a scare, I didn't know he was there at first. Much louder than in call of duty .
Climb Gibraltar road in Santa Barbara, and head to Camino Cielo. There is a gun range completely out in the open, and a couple of times there have been a number of people out there shooting at random scattered targets up on the hills. I won't go up there with bright colors when I visit anymore, one redneck has too much to drink and sees a moving target... Scared me the first time I saw people actually firing, still weirds me out.
Old 08-22-12, 08:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingFool
Waiting at a red traffic light at a crosswalk (the red hand signal) this female driver about to make a right suddenly slams on her breaks and looks at me like she's waiting for me to go... after she honks at me for the third time and waves me to go through she finally squeals her tires and turns like she's mad at me for not going...
So, you're on your bike in a crosswalk and wonder that she was confused?
Old 08-22-12, 08:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ARE.
So, you're on your bike in a crosswalk and wonder that she was confused?
Like I said in my very first sentence... I was on a MUP. MUP's go across streets and roads.
Read... it's not that complicated.
Old 08-22-12, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Now I'm a rider too, but no kids; just a dog who's been riding with me for 12+ years.
Lol - I have seen you and your dog. In fact I used to see you fairly often because I used to work by the Safety Center in Carlsbad. Always put a smile on my face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.