Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2014 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 07:51 PM
ride lots be safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
UCSC Uni RR P123
3rd place

https://www.strava.com/activities/115341632

18 laps of 2.7 miles and 350ft of climbing.

Strategy: hang on as long as possible. Hoped to finish on the winning lap.

I don't race p12 yet so I was a little starstruck and concerned that I knew the name of the Clif Bar guy from when he was on Jelly Belly. He is a bit of a local legend so I may have looked at his USAC page before.

Anyway, I knew he wouldn't get dropped, and he is smooth and gives a good draft so I did what I could to be on his wheel whenever possible. With the circuit as it is, it's just pure attrition. After 5 laps we were about 6 guys. At 10 laps about 5. We were 4 after about 14, and in the finishing "sprint" climb it was just us 3.

Gotta be honest, I was pretty happy to just be there assured of a 3rd place, riding with 2 NRC-racing cat1s, so I went early! **** it, right? How often do you get to attack a guy who has a google suggestion for his name with his pro cycling team?

Outcome was predictable. Short-lived attack lead them out and the two guys duked it out for the win as I spun through the finish and hoped to not fall down.

Success all around. Fun day. Super fun to ride against those guys. Absolute beasts.
-Menso de Jong and Bailey McKnight- - never been happier to try to win and still lose.

!!!! NICE PODIUM !!!!

and some epic quotes that belong in BF sig files.

How often do you get to attack a guy who has a google suggestion for his name with his pro cycling team?

and... is that his undies showing in the podium pic? wtf that's definitely not pro

Old 02-23-14, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ontario Crit #2 (Dare to race whatever), Cat 4

Trying to simulate a stage race since my time to train is incredibly limited by long weeks I've been working lately, so I had hammered up a long climb yesterday and treated this race as training. Goal #1 was to work on positioning and staying at the front, which worked great until the last lap. A sprint train with the guy who'd won the previous race in the series moved up prior to the last corner with non-affiliated rider last in the line, and I jumped to get a free-lead out. Unfortunately, the non-team guy decided to soft pedal and then swing off as we hit the final corner, and I lost my momentum and was gapped off the train. Didn't have much speed coming out of the corner and got swarmed, so I was probably 40th as we started the sprint.

Since it was just training anyway (also a convenient rationale for being tactically dumb), I jumped into the wind and sprinted from way out, just to see how many people I could pass. Probably got myself top 25, but I didn't bother to stick around to find out. It was my fastest sprint on the course according to strava, so I'm pretty pleased. Didn't realize until ovoleg's post that there was a crash in our field. I noticed a split in the field behind me on the last lap but didn't think much of it. The winner put in a monster move, he gapped the field on the finishing straight and held it to the line.
Old 02-23-14, 10:26 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
2 crits today: Merced & UCSC, cat 4

I think this is the difference between cat 5 & cat 4:
In cat 5, I could say "I want to be THERE. Exactly. And be there, no problem. In cat 4 I can be there if I want, but it costs a lot more.
In cat 5, I could plan out something like "be in top 10 starting last lap, move up on back stretch, follow whoever goes fast and then sprint". And it would work well enough to get good placing. In cat 4, I guess everyone has at least enough experience to have a similar plan, and we can't all be in the top 10 starting the last lap, etc.

Merced, 11/26
Flat, 3 corners and a loop through a narrow alley. The alley was the best part, every lap I just took a good line and passed 1 or 2 people. Plan was the usual be near the front, pass a few riders on the back stretch. Well, 2 to go everyone wanted the front so it didn't work out. Front stretch was 5 lanes wide so I figured that was my best chance to get in the wind and hammer passed everyone. Too bad everyone else tried the same thing. Well, I was at the back on the back stretch. Too narrow to move up. Last chance was the alley, so I turned on aggressive mode and passed 5+ in the alley. Just hammered hard through the last turn and sprinted for a close 11th. Practiced my bike throw (yes, for 11th place) and it worked. So I'm happy to know I won't forget to throw it when I really need to.

UCSC crit, pack finish.
Flat, wide smooth roads, sweeping turns. Diagonal headwind on 3rd and finishing straights. So the race went 20mph/30mph/20mph/30mph... etc. After a hectic first 20 minutes, I settled into a nice easy rhythm: Move up on outside at the back (tailwind), to be in shelter after the turn in the gutter, hide or follow people moving up into the wind, then repeat. Lots of room to move up so I waited until the backstretch. Guy was in the way so it took a few seconds but I got out and moved up purposely IN the wind where no one would be blocking me. Too bad I was still the sole guy inside on the final turn and had to brake and let a whole slew of guys past just to get through the corner. Sprinted anyway and passed maybe a dozen guys but still mid-pack. Oh and the I grip the bar too hard at the intense parts, causing my hands to start numbing and making it hard to shift. But this was the first time I actually COULDN'T shift so I was spinning out big time in the sprint for 18th or whatever.
Old 02-23-14, 10:26 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Merced Crit 1/2's - finished towards the back, but the team was on the podium.

First crit with team mates! I've missed that feeling.. so nice to not need to follow every single attack. Still went with a lot though.

Interesting course - the 4th corner leads to a cement wall and narrows, basically a back alley. Wtf. Nobody crashed at least.

Still some work to do as far as coordinating with team mates but it's a good start.

Hard race too, it was something like 115 TSS for me (1:15 clock time).

my race videos
Old 02-23-14, 10:34 PM
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
you did merced then drove to salinas? is you serious?
Old 02-23-14, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice traveling. That was my plan for the day, but not feeling race ready yet and figured it'd be a waste of time and money.

Regarding the tactic for moving up and being top 10 starting last lap and being top 5 or so coming out of the last corner seems to be the game plan for quite a few folks. So, yeah, if that's the plan it will cost you a big amount of energy, but that's the cost to make the plan work.
Old 02-23-14, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
you did merced then drove to salinas? is you serious?
Yeah... Merced was over 2 hours away so I decided to hit up Salinas on the way back (a bit out of the way but not too far).
Old 02-23-14, 10:55 PM
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Salinas crit
cat 3 (college races all day, then a few open categories at the end for old people)
results - i crossed the finish line

small field. 16? 4 of which were from my team. eventually one of our guys gets away in a two-man. our team covered any serious counter jumps and kept someone second or third wheel to break up the chase. finally the other racers kinda gave up. with about 6-7 laps to go the we got lapped by breakaway. I think the refs are supposed to call it at that point. but they let us keep going. we had 1st or 2nd in hand now so with 5 to go i jumped and got a gap. I took another guy with me and we drilled it for 5 laps and it hurt like hell. I exploded like the Hindenburg with 500 meters to go, but my breakaway mate was able to hang on for third.

Then this happened. I was just rolling to the finish line making sure the last rider had past me because i was seeing gray. and as i looked over my shoulder i steered my bike into the curb and crashed into the grass going about 10mph in plain view of every one standing there. Didnt hit my head, bike is fine, shoulder, collar bone are fine. But my upper L ribs hurt like hell. hopefully just a bad strain. no amount of ice will fix my ego though...that's long gone.

Good team race. happy i was able to a make a decisive race move even i couldnt quite close the deal, but i left it all out there. and the guy that got third is a friend on another team so i quite happy how it all worked out. except for the thing about crashing by myself, in front of the finish line, for no apparent reason. and the rib thing.
Old 02-23-14, 11:00 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Yeah... Merced was over 2 hours away so I decided to hit up Salinas on the way back (a bit out of the way but not too far).
Ha that's awesome!

my race videos
Old 02-23-14, 11:05 PM
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Steve Tilford: ride 30 miles on gravel to the crit, attack into the winning break, win 3 of 4 points sprints and the race, ride home 30 miles on gravel, race again tomorrow. Racing Age: 54

https://stevetilford.com/2014/02/22/f...of-the-season/
Old 02-24-14, 12:08 AM
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nosignature
Ontario Crit #2 (Dare to race whatever), Cat 4

Trying to simulate a stage race since my time to train is incredibly limited by long weeks I've been working lately, so I had hammered up a long climb yesterday and treated this race as training. Goal #1 was to work on positioning and staying at the front, which worked great until the last lap. A sprint train with the guy who'd won the previous race in the series moved up prior to the last corner with non-affiliated rider last in the line, and I jumped to get a free-lead out. Unfortunately, the non-team guy decided to soft pedal and then swing off as we hit the final corner, and I lost my momentum and was gapped off the train. Didn't have much speed coming out of the corner and got swarmed, so I was probably 40th as we started the sprint.

Since it was just training anyway (also a convenient rationale for being tactically dumb), I jumped into the wind and sprinted from way out, just to see how many people I could pass. Probably got myself top 25, but I didn't bother to stick around to find out. It was my fastest sprint on the course according to strava, so I'm pretty pleased. Didn't realize until ovoleg's post that there was a crash in our field. I noticed a split in the field behind me on the last lap but didn't think much of it. The winner put in a monster move, he gapped the field on the finishing straight and held it to the line.
which stage race are you doing?

I'm not sure I liked the course. Downhill finish, bleh, those damn reflectors everywhere and two huge bumps on the course. I would much rather race in Dominguez Hills personally.

I just sat up toward the end I was fairly pissed at myself for racing like a full moron. I had no chance of breaking the top 10, could of got top 20 but I'd have to go around a bunch of dudes that were blowing up and chance of crashing was high for nothing.
Old 02-24-14, 12:10 AM