Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 07:16 AM
1eanda

Bikes: 2018 All-City Macho Man Flatbar, 2016 Surly Ogre, 2018 Cannondale Cujo 2, 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2016 Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE, 2015 Novara Randonee, 2015 Trek 7.3 FX, 2015 Trek 8.3 DS, 2008 Trek Su2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What model seat post rear rack did you purchase? I am currently trying to decide which model to purchase
Old 06-19-16, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 7.4 FX performs very well on bump, especially when riding over the speed bumps, compared to my previous Corratec Shape.
Old 07-03-16, 11:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2017 Trek FX

https://trekbikestoreusa.com/m/produc...4-264309-1.htm Just did a routine check of the trek store website and saw new FXs. They aren't even on the official trek website yet, but the ugly white and orange 7.4 appears to be getting an upgrade, or maybe a 7.5 rebadge. It's called the FX S 4 now and is priced, and spec'd pretty close to the 2016 7.5 fx. Thank you Trek for offering these frames in more traditional colors. It appears the 2017 7.3 fx (now the FX 3) replaced the 2016 7.4 and is available in black, red and white WITH a carbon fork. I gambled, held out and will be getting rewarded with a 2017 'FX 3' in Viper Red (not awful orange or white) with the carbon fork/7.4 specs.

Last edited by Trek541; 07-04-16 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone know why they threw in a "S" with the FX4 vs. the FX3?
Old 07-05-16, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time poster. Purchased a nice matte black FX 7.3 this spring. Loving the riding. I am going through the growing pains of the uncomfortable seat and the numb hands. Thankfully this board has a lot of suggestions and info, so I am slowly getting there. A bit of buyers remorse however. Wish I would have bumped up to the 7.4 to get the carbon fork. My wife and I are heading on a bike tour in California where the supplied bikes are 7.5's, so I suspect might be trading up in the fall!! (Self diagnosed gear head) I moved "down" to the SSR seat which I found much better than the Nebula the bike came with, however not perfect. As for the hands, rotating the grips a bit to make my hands sit in the proper orientation. Gotten much better, but thinking of trying the ergonomic grips and a seat post to offset the seat back a little. Great forum and looking forward to chiming in here and there.
Old 07-05-16, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3 FX 17.5"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just discovered this thread. 2015 Trek 7.3 FX 17.5" reporting in. Bought it used off Craigslist. This is my first adult bike, haven't ridden one in more than twenty years. Taken my time with it, grips were the first thing I changed. Currently experimenting with saddle.

A Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock is such a pain to carry and adds noticeable weight to the bike!
Old 07-06-16, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
S is for "sport" : https://www.bike-plus.com/lineup/trek_fxs4_2017.html
Old 07-09-16, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Trek Allant 7.2, Trek Soho S

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand new Allant 7.2

I bought a brand new 2016 Allant 7.2 today (same as FX 7.2 but with disc brakes) and felt the need to share. I sold my geared bike earlier this year and was left with a singlespeed 2008 Trek Soho S, which I use for transportation around town. A week ago I started doing longer rides for exercise, and quickly missed gears, badly. After this morning's ride on the singlespeed I found myself in the LBS, and left with the Allant 7.2. Wasn't exactly planning on spending the money right away like that, but hey, the summer is short here

I was expecting the geometry to be the same as the Soho S - they're both 22.5 inch Trek hybrids - but the Allant/FX actually has a significantly longer head tube and a more relaxed upright position. It felt strikingly more comfortable. I've now ridden about 15 km on it, and the fit and handling are just perfect. Obviously it's not the fastest bike, but I'm not exactly in a real road bike shape myself(*), so I figured I'll upgrade if I ever get there.

These are my first disc brakes. They work just fine, but haven't been any kind of great revelation so far. Maybe in the rain... I live in a relatively flat area, so riding down mountains isn't much of an issue.

The bike is the nearly-black charcoal gray color (whatever Trek calls it), because that's what the shop happened to have. I'd have preferred some color after 8 years of the Soho S, which is totally matte black, down to black decals on the black frame. Then again, the other option for the Allant is apparently a shade of blue that's not quite my favorite. Still, I'd probably have taken it if it had been there. Btw. the shop was full of black city and hybrid bikes - the trends seem pretty boring at the moment.

The only complaint at this early point is the seat, which I guess everyone else has already commented on. It just feels too soft and flexible, in the wrong way. I do have a Brooks B17 that I'll use instead. Btw. the stock Bontrager seat that came with the Soho in 2008 was exellent, at least for my butt. I guess they fixed something that wasn't broken, or maybe this new one is a cheaper component.

(* On this morning's ride, I happened to pass a seriously obese guy who'd squeezed himself onto a race-geometry road bike. He actually had to move his knees way out sideways just to be able to pedal with his gut in the way. Kudos to him for starting to exercise, but he could really have lost at least 30 kg on a comfort bike before getting on that thing. Kinda made me think "if he's on a road bike, why shouldn't I..." as I'm not overweight, but I'm not in much of a riding shape, either.)

Last edited by gemini; 07-09-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 12:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by gemini
(* On this morning's ride, I happened to pass a seriously obese guy who'd squeezed himself onto a race-geometry road bike. He actually had to move his knees way out sideways just to be able to pedal with his gut in the way. Kudos to him for starting to exercise, but he could really have lost at least 30 kg on a comfort bike before getting on that thing. Kinda made me think "if he's on a road bike, why shouldn't I..." as I'm not overweight, but I'm not in much of a riding shape, either.)
I think a lot of whether one rides a road bike or a hybrid comes down to your feelings about dropbar handlebars.
Old 07-09-16, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I think a lot of whether one rides a road bike or a hybrid comes down to your feelings about dropbar handlebars.
I guess what I meant was the aggressive race-oriented geometry and being fit enough to take advantage of it. Of course there are upright, "easier" road bikes and touring bikes, and I have ridden quite a bit on a touring bike with drop bars.
Old 07-10-16, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just back from a 26 km ride on the new Allant 7.2 and I figured I'd keep the stock seat on it just once to see what it's like now that I got the height and angle adjusted. Turns out the seat is a communist plot or something. It felt kinda-sorta okay when riding, no numbness in the delicate parts, no pain, but afterwards I found myself incapable of walking up or down stairs in my apartment building. My legs and muscles are just fine, it was an easy ride, and my butt is conditioned by bicycling almost every day since April, but that seat just did some kind of a magic trick to my ass. I can barely walk. When I'll be able to get up, it shall be to swap the Brooks on the bike.
Old 07-10-16, 09:58 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by gemini
Just back from a 26 km ride on the new Allant 7.2 and I figured I'd keep the stock seat on it just once to see what it's like now that I got the height and angle adjusted. Turns out the seat is a communist plot or something. It felt kinda-sorta okay when riding, no numbness in the delicate parts, no pain, but afterwards I found myself incapable of walking up or down stairs in my apartment building. My legs and muscles are just fine, it was an easy ride, and my butt is conditioned by bicycling almost every day since April, but that seat just did some kind of a magic trick to my ass. I can barely walk. When I'll be able to get up, it shall be to swap the Brooks on the bike.
Old 07-11-16, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 FX3 - went to look, ended up buying.

My 2017 Trek FX3 20" Viper Red is built and sitting at the bike shop.

Gearing it out with:
Cygolite
Topeak MTX trunkbag dxp
Topeak explorer tublar rack
SPD pd-a530 pedals
Bontrager SSR shoes
300 duotrap s-combo
Vibrelli Universal Smart Phone mount for my Samsung Note5
timber trail awareness bell
and a mirror that is special for these grips.

My LBS says I can't have grips and mirror, it is one or the other? I'm not sure which one I want, because I want both, but as of now I selected the mirror. Any insight on this?

I'm 280LBS, & just shy of 6' with a 29" inseam (short legs, long torso).
For the last 20 years I have been riding a Trek 1400 21.5" road bike (typical rides were 20 to 50 miles @ 18 to 22MPH avg speed). I have always struggled with extremities falling asleep. With a family and all that is going on I have not went out on my 1400 much lately. I think it is time to get more of a family cruiser for moderate exercise and purposeful trips to the store to load my new trunkbag down.

the FX4 was a bit over my budget
I was going to get the orange 7.4 2016 but the 2017 FX3 was actually cheaper (and I don't see that it is missing anything).

Any thoughts, opinions?

Also, I was wondering. The bike computer uses ANT to communicate with the sensors, but as I understand it, at the same time, it uses bluetooth to communicate with a smart phone app? Which app do you use with this bluetooth sensor? What are your experiences?

Thanks Everyone!

Old 07-11-16, 09:52 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by floydian
My 2017 Trek FX3 20" Viper Red is built and sitting at the bike shop.

Gearing it out with:
Cygolite
Topeak MTX trunkbag dxp
Topeak explorer tublar rack
SPD pd-a530 pedals
Bontrager SSR shoes
300 duotrap s-combo
Vibrelli Universal Smart Phone mount for my Samsung Note5
timber trail awareness bell
and a mirror that is special for these grips.

My LBS says I can't have grips and mirror, it is one or the other? I'm not sure which one I want, because I want both, but as of now I selected the mirror. Any insight on this?

I'm 280LBS, & just shy of 6' with a 29" inseam (short legs, long torso).
For the last 20 years I have been riding a Trek 1400 21.5" road bike (typical rides were 20 to 50 miles @ 18 to 22MPH avg speed). I have always struggled with extremities falling asleep. With a family and all that is going on I have not went out on my 1400 much lately. I think it is time to get more of a family cruiser for moderate exercise and purposeful trips to the store to load my new trunkbag down.

the FX4 was a bit over my budget
I was going to get the orange 7.4 2016 but the 2017 FX3 was actually cheaper (and I don't see that it is missing anything).

Any thoughts, opinions?

Also, I was wondering. The bike computer uses ANT to communicate with the sensors, but as I understand it, at the same time, it uses bluetooth to communicate with a smart phone app? Which app do you use with this bluetooth sensor? What are your experiences?

Thanks Everyone!

That is such a beautiful shade of RED.
Old 07-11-16, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use a helmet mounted mirror which takes a little getting used to but wouldn't be without, same with bar ends.
Bontrager Race Bar Ends | Trek Bikes
Old 07-11-16, 01:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really? You are using helmet mounted bar ends? HA!

seriously, I am concerned that the mirror being rather shaky on the handle grips vs on a helmet. I also had a Mt. Bike where I felt bar ends were very handy. I think your right, don't be left without them.
Old 07-11-16, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD pd-a530 pedals
Do you have experience with dual platforms? I haven't been too keen on them. They seem like a great idea, but the extra little bit of fumbling to get the right side of the pedal after every stop in city traffic is a bit of an annoyance, I find. I had dual platforms on my commuter/errands bike for too long recently, because the usual platforms were waiting for bearing overhaul that I didn't get around to. Switching back to the platforms was a relief, for that kind of riding. Of course, long distances are another matter.
Old 07-11-16, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum and biking, planning to buy a hybrid bike for fitness purpose. I have three choices based on the availability in the LBS stores near me.

Trek FX 7.2, DiamondBack Insight 1, Nishiki Manitoba priced at 489$, 379$ and 350$

I see all these three bikes have similar components - which makes me indecisive. But, my favourite is Trek based on the looks and reviews - but, I couldn't decide because of the price difference.

Can someone tell me, why should I go for Trek FX against the other two bikes.
Old 07-11-16, 03:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinoragav27
Can someone tell me, why should I go for Trek FX against the other two bikes.
At this level, you probably get what you pay for - the Trek has slightly better components. Eight cogs and likely a better rear hub than the other two (freehub rather than freewheel, if I googled the specs right). I just got a 7.2 (Allant) and can vouch for the geometry and handling, which I thought are great, but obviously I haven't test ridden the other two.

Plan on getting another seat for the Trek, though!
Old 07-11-16, 08:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek541
Trek FX S 4 - Trek Bike Store USA Just did a routine check of the trek store website and saw new FXs. They aren't even on the official trek website yet, but the ugly white and orange 7.4 appears to be getting an upgrade, or maybe a 7.5 rebadge. It's called the FX S 4 now and is priced, and spec'd pretty close to the 2016 7.5 fx. Thank you Trek for offering these frames in more traditional colors. It appears the 2017 7.3 fx (now the FX 3) replaced the 2016 7.4 and is available in black, red and white WITH a carbon fork. I gambled, held out and will be getting rewarded with a 2017 'FX 3' in Viper Red (not awful orange or white) with the carbon fork/7.4 specs.
Nice to see that FX 3 getting you a 7.4 for lower price. I *love* the 2016 7.4, have been riding it almost every day for the last couple months with and without a child seat on the back. A great bike and a super fun ride. Will miss the Firebrand Orange, though!! Hopefully the red looks as good. I wish Trek did more fun colors for 7.5/FX S 4.
Old 07-11-16, 08:41 PM

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the Trek 7.2 FX is the best all around bike at that price range. Seems to be the most popular model and a lot of people seem to like them including my wife. She loves riding her bike and is very glad she got one.
Old 07-12-16, 06:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 2017 FX3 is certainly lower quality than the 2016 7.4. I am bumping up to a FX S 4 for $400 more. It has more road components. One huge turn off of the FX3 was the integrated shift/brake component. The FX S 4 will have 2x10 instead of 3x9. I felt bad as my FX3 was built already, however my LBS said no big deal (especially since it is an upgrade$). I wanted more of a road feel vs. Mt. feel anyways.

I think the 2016 offerings seem better (more choices, more price ranges). The 2017 models have a 400 dollar jump between the FX3 and FX S 4. WOW

Worst thing about the FX S 4..... One color & price

But now that I have seen it, I have to get it!

2017 TREK FX S 4
Old 07-12-16, 06:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why does a person choose two chain rings in the front vs. three chain rings? I notice the FX S 4 has 2 chain rings in the front (10 in back), where the FX 3 has 3 chain rings in the front (9 in back). Seems like the two in the front can handle one heck of a hill, yet doesn't seem to sacrifice top end. Is three actually necessary?
Likes For floydian:
Old 07-12-16, 07:16 AM
1eanda

Bikes: 2018 All-City Macho Man Flatbar, 2016 Surly Ogre, 2018 Cannondale Cujo 2, 2017 Fairdale Weekender Drop, 2016 Trek 520 Disc, 2016 Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE, 2015 Novara Randonee, 2015 Trek 7.3 FX, 2015 Trek 8.3 DS, 2008 Trek Su2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
I belive it is a
Trek FX S 4 Sport and is only available in Quicksilver

Now on Treks website and available from Trek dealers across the country
Old 07-12-16, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
why does a person choose two chain rings in the front vs. three chain rings? I notice the FX S 4 has 2 chain rings in the front (10 in back), where the FX 3 has 3 chain rings in the front (9 in back). Seems like the two in the front can handle one heck of a hill, yet doesn't seem to sacrifice top end. Is three actually necessary?
It's the tweener thing a hybrid is to road (double) and mountain bikes (triple). The triple gives you a bigger granny gear than a double unless you have a monster cog on the back. I have a FX 7.4 with the triple and occasionally use the small sprocket on big hills although it can really get your heart pumping, sometimes easier to walk up. The double probably better suited to a more aggressive road type rider giving more selection in the commonly used gears at pace.
Before triples showed up I toured extensively with full gear with a 2x5, much depends on the rider and how you use the bike.

Last edited by sail; 07-12-16 at 03:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.