Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bike Flipping 101

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Current: '89 Centurion IronMan Master; Projects: '83 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 90's Olmo Sintex; Past: '88 Ralleigh Technium 400, '74 Peugot PX-10, '85 Nishiki Tri-A, 80s Bianchi Sport SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
That's what I keep saying. And I justify money spent on the fact that I'm saving gas money and wear & tear on my car by riding to work a lot of the time (as opposed to her scrapbooking habit which is expensive and we get nothing back monetarily).

I kind of think price guidelines would be good, if ony to see if you're in the balpark. For instance, mid-80s Schwinns come up frequently; maybe put up a list of the lineup and what examples would typically cost in the range? And maybe the same thing with other brands? I'm not thinking of a database or anything, but as a model gets discussed, add the consensus of its value to the first post of the stickied thread (including the date of "appraisal")? Oh, and the back end and front end: 1984 Schwinn World Sport: Expect to buy at $10-20, Expect to sell for $40-60 after refurb, or something like that.
possibly bad form, quoting one of the first posts in the thread, but I'm a data engineer, and honestly, a web scraper and flipping database sounds like a fun and useful project. I've been thinking about building a personal database to help me understand my own market, and I'm already working on a tool to scrape and analyze ebay data for bikes and cameras.

If and when I get the basic infrastructure set up, I'll start a thread to ask for suggestions for data points. To start with, i'm thinking:
brand,
model,
style/geometry,
frame material/tubing,
notable features,
purchase price,
condition,
purpose (rider/parts),
sale price,
city/region.

this could be a super handy reference to point people to if/when I get it built.

Last edited by djimb; 06-02-24 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-06-24, 11:37 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by djimb
possibly bad form, quoting one of the first posts in the thread, but I'm a data engineer, and honestly, a web scraper and flipping database sounds like a fun and useful project. I've been thinking about building a personal database to help me understand my own market, and I'm already working on a tool to scrape and analyze ebay data for bikes and cameras.

If and when I get the basic infrastructure set up, I'll start a thread to ask for suggestions for data points. To start with, i'm thinking:
brand,
model,
style/geometry,
frame material/tubing,
notable features,
purchase price,
condition,
purpose (rider/parts),
sale price,
city/region.

this could be a super handy reference to point people to if/when I get it built.
lol, my post is over 15 years old! Hahah.

I just logged on for perhaps the first time this year. Thinking about buying a new bike. An actual, new, bike. I started a thread in the 50+ forum to try to figure out what I want.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-10-24, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more i read this forum the more i want to get into bike flipping