Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 01:42 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3937 Post(s)
Liked 4,929 Times in 2,273 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
The lighting in those pictures doesn't do justice to how pretty that color is.

Creamsicle Orange is what I call the color. Since the Mondia often looks red in photos (instead of burnt orange) I can always post this one in the "orange" threads. Rides and shifts smoothly.
Old 04-15-18, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmdr
I'm getting ready to put 9-speed DA on my 80's Miyata. Has anyone used the Sheldon Brown method for re-spacing the rear drop-outs?
I used a threaded rod, some nuts and washers to pry the drop-outs apart to cold set em in place. Had to go 5mm more than needed as they spring back a little. Worked like a charm, didn't even need to adjust my derailleur hanger afterwards!
Old 04-15-18, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,841 Posts
I used that trick as well, and then also used the same rod to make sure my dropouts were parallel. Seemed to work ok.
Old 04-16-18, 05:43 PM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
A lot of cool bikes here, and so I've been inspired to embark on a similar mission myself. I'm going to use my Lotus Legend frame, and I want to use Campagnolo parts (for various reasons, one of them being to balance out the karma from all the Italian bikes with Japanese parts).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide exactly what stuff to use. There is some really reasonably priced Veloce 10 speed stuff for sale right now, but I'd actually rather go 9 speed so I can use a nice 8/9 speed crankset that I have. And while I don't mind silver, I'd prefer black components. Also, I have a set of Veloce skeleton brakes (black) from another project, so I don't need to buy a full groupset.

So that brings me to Xenon. There is some ridiculously cheap 9 speed Xenon stuff out there, and I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with it. I've read that the shifters actually use a different mechanism to all the other Campagnolo stuff, and that's a bit of a deterrent to me. But it's so cheap, that I'm tempted to just try it anyway and see what happens. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Old 04-16-18, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I have some Xenon components. They are workable yet aesthetically unrefined. Very heavy.

That said, if you’re working them into a 9 speed setup it should be fine.

Veloce is much higher end (by comparison).

Ymmv
Old 04-17-18, 02:02 AM

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Not mine, but it doesn't get much better than this.

Old 04-17-18, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilPub

Holy ****
Old 04-17-18, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
A lot of cool bikes here, and so I've been inspired to embark on a similar mission myself. I'm going to use my Lotus Legend frame, and I want to use Campagnolo parts (for various reasons, one of them being to balance out the karma from all the Italian bikes with Japanese parts).

Anyway, I'm trying to decide exactly what stuff to use. There is some really reasonably priced Veloce 10 speed stuff for sale right now, but I'd actually rather go 9 speed so I can use a nice 8/9 speed crankset that I have. And while I don't mind silver, I'd prefer black components. Also, I have a set of Veloce skeleton brakes (black) from another project, so I don't need to buy a full groupset.

So that brings me to Xenon. There is some ridiculously cheap 9 speed Xenon stuff out there, and I'm wondering if anyone has any direct experience with it. I've read that the shifters actually use a different mechanism to all the other Campagnolo stuff, and that's a bit of a deterrent to me. But it's so cheap, that I'm tempted to just try it anyway and see what happens. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Buying all the components except the crank leaves you probably paying the same price as a new veloce groupset...and you could sell your existing crankset.
Old 04-17-18, 05:18 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Freakin' Ace.

If I had that, I'd be tellin' the Tarmac Twerps to bite me.

Originally Posted by PhilPub

Old 04-17-18, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not both?

I'm using 9sp Daytona cranks with 10sp Veloce everything else.

(It presented an interesting matching problem--black or silver. But here's the thing: silver shifters come with black hoods and the black front derailleur still has a silver/gray cage. I just decided to mix it up--silver shifters, black mechs and brakes--though silver brakes would have been fine too.)

Originally Posted by Miyata75
I used a threaded rod, some nuts and washers to pry the drop-outs apart to cold set em in place. Had to go 5mm more than needed as they spring back a little. Worked like a charm, didn't even need to adjust my derailleur hanger afterwards!
I think you responded to a comment from 2007. But yes, I used the rod and nuts method too. RJ the Bike Guy has a video of it on YouTube. I had to spread it considerably though... 165mm, IIRC, to go from 126mm to 129mm.

Last edited by athrowawaynic; 04-17-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-17-18, 10:16 AM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Thanks for all the input guys.

Originally Posted by Narhay
Buying all the components except the crank leaves you probably paying the same price as a new veloce groupset...and you could sell your existing crankset.
Believe me, I'm thinking about it since the prices on some of the Veloce groups are pretty reasonable right now, but the economics are still borderline.

From what I can find online, a pair of Xenon shifters can be had for less than $100, and a 9 speed rear derailleur for the ridiculous price of $30. 9 speed casettes can be found for around $40-50, and maybe another $40 if you splurge for a decent chain (less if you want to save a little).

I have the front derailleur (Veloce) at home, as well as the brakes and crank. I wouldn't sell the crank though, because it has little value (It's an old Gipiemme Sprint with black pantographed Franceso Moser rings that I got for about $20 on ebay. I love it, but I don't know if it can work with a 10 speed chain).

So I'm looking at a 9 speed setup for a little over $200, while even the best deals on a full group are going to be close to $500.

Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Why not both?
I'm using 9sp Daytona cranks with 10sp Veloce everything else.

(It presented an interesting matching problem--black or silver. But here's the thing: silver shifters come with black hoods and the black front derailleur still has a silver/gray cage. I just decided to mix it up--silver shifters, black mechs and brakes--though silver brakes would have been fine too.)
Actually, that got me thinking, and it's a pretty good idea. First, because I'm not THAT obsessive about matching stuff, but also because the bike has black rims with stainless spokes, and a chrome fork, so a mix of black and silver would actually look rather nice.

Can I assume your 9sp Daytona cranks play perfectly nice with a 10sp chain?

Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I have some Xenon components. They are workable yet aesthetically unrefined. Very heavy.
That said, if you’re working them into a 9 speed setup it should be fine.
Veloce is much higher end (by comparison).
Ymmv
Thanks, that's good to know. Veloce shifters are also very reasonably priced right now, but I only see 10 speed versions out there, so that would mean a new crankset as well. Not the end of the world, but I'm trying to keep the budget within a limit.
Old 04-17-18, 10:37 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
Do the chainrings on your crankset have ramps and pins? I believe you'll need them.

I can't tell you about Xenon stuff, but I can tell you that my 2x10 Veloce drivetrain has exceeded my hopes. I got the brifters slightly used and the derailleurs new from a UK web site, ribble, I think. I'm using nine-speed hubs and a nine-speed crankset I got used.

If you're willing to wait for used stuff to show up, patience will pay off. On the other hand, if you're buying new, you may want to hurry, as the dollar is weakening against the euro and pound.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-17-18, 01:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, that got me thinking, and it's a pretty good idea. First, because I'm not THAT obsessive about matching stuff, but also because the bike has black rims with stainless spokes, and a chrome fork, so a mix of black and silver would actually look rather nice.
I embraced the contrast, and you can get a rough idea of how it will turn out. My bike is posted above on this page.

Can I assume your 9sp Daytona cranks play perfectly nice with a 10sp chain?
It is all working perfectly right now.

Caveat: I will say that's because the front mech is perfectly dialed in at the moment. And I'll admit it wasn't always so. Story time: the store (I think it was Ribble, but it might have been ProBikeKit) sent me the wrong front mech. I ordered the smallest band clamp. They sent me the next size up. It was fine until I wanted wider tires (28mm GP4000Sii), and then I found that with the normal shim, the tire would rub. After much searching, I found a custom eccentric shim to solve the tire clearance problem. To be fair, I can't be sure, but... I had trouble with the front mech after that--I reindexed but could not get it to shift reliably. It doesn't make sense that this would make a difference. So maybe there was user error, or maybe something about the geometry made a difference, or maybe something about the shim material screwed up the cable tension. Who knows... But eventually, I switched back to 25mm tires, I reverted to the normal shim, reindexed and now it hits every shift. I think perfect shifting is possible, just be sure to follow the install instructions carefully. Haha.
Old 04-17-18, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by noglider
Do the chainrings on your crankset have ramps and pins? I believe you'll need them.

I can't tell you about Xenon stuff, but I can tell you that my 2x10 Veloce drivetrain has exceeded my hopes. I got the brifters slightly used and the derailleurs new from a UK web site, ribble, I think. I'm using nine-speed hubs and a nine-speed crankset I got used.

If you're willing to wait for used stuff to show up, patience will pay off. On the other hand, if you're buying new, you may want to hurry, as the dollar is weakening against the euro and pound.
No, my crankset most definitely doesn't have ramps and pins. Would that be essential for 9 speed as well? You might have just helped a lot with my decision.

Plus, you are also confirming that a 9 speed crankset will work with a 10 speed setup, so that gives me other options. As well.

And thanks for the added urgency of the exchange rate!

I embraced the contrast, and you can get a rough idea of how it will turn out. My bike is posted above on this page.
Oh, I hadn't realized that Atala was yours. It a really pretty bike, just my style, with some great colors on that frame.
Old 04-17-18, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kansukee
This is my newly built Fuso; the frame is from '85. It was in terrible condition, paint wise when I bought it and I came up with this color for it and had the shop add a braze-on for the FD. Weighs just under 20 pounds as pictured and I still have to change a couple of things_ it now has silver skewers and it needs the seatpost polished and the seat leveled properly...
Turned out very nice!
Old 04-18-18, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Here's an updated pic of the Fuso:

Old 04-18-18, 03:49 PM

Is anyone familiar with the Merlin Cycles website (no affiliated with them in any way)? Their prices on some items seem too good to be legit...
Old 04-18-18, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked 3,532 Times in 1,151 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the Merlin Cycles website (no affiliated with them in any way)? Their prices on some items seem too good to be legit...
They're legit.
Some of the British sites (Merlin, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Ribble) have some pretty low component prices.
Brent
Old 04-19-18, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by kansukee
Here's an updated pic of the Fuso:
Thanks! That bike is both no-nonsense and sexy
Old 04-19-18, 04:49 AM

Bump and repost every time I change something (bar tape, this time).
Did you consider removing the decals from the wheels? The frameset is gorgeous but IMO the wheels and frame combined are too busy
Old 04-19-18, 08:03 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

No, my crankset most definitely doesn't have ramps and pins. Would that be essential for 9 speed as well? You might have just helped a lot with my decision.

Plus, you are also confirming that a 9 speed crankset will work with a 10 speed setup, so that gives me other options. As well.

And thanks for the added urgency of the exchange rate!
Now I can't remember if Campagnolo chainrings have pins and ramps, and I'm not near my bike to check. My understanding is that pins and ramps are important if you have an indexed shifter on your front derailleur, and it has nothing to do with your rear shifting. Now, one thing I'm considering is using a down tube shifter for the front derailleur. It's not as crazy as it sounds, since you don't expect your front to shift as fast as your rear. If you're willing to do that, you can use any chainrings.

I'll check to see what the crankset on my Lemond looks like. I have 2x10 Veloce shifters and Veloce derailleurs. I got them from ribble at mystifyingly low prices. And as I said, I'm very impressed with how well these things work. The only problem is that it's not compatible with Shimano. I often start with a Shimano compatible hub or derailleur, so I have to finish with Shimano compatible stuff. This build started with the cranks and hubs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-19-18, 09:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timo 2.0
Did you consider removing the decals from the wheels? The frameset is gorgeous but IMO the wheels and frame combined are too busy
You're reading my mind. I also find them to be nonsensically braggy--I mean, really, why would anyone brag about/advertise budget wheels like Sciroccos?

The thing is... those wheel decals are really stuck on.
Old 04-19-18, 09:41 AM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
The thing is... those wheel decals are really stuck on.
Hit 'em with a heat gun. They'll peel right off.
Old 04-19-18, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by obrentharris
They're legit.
Some of the British sites (Merlin, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Ribble) have some pretty low component prices.
Brent
Thanks for the feedback. Just went ahead on some Veloce Ultra-torque cranks and cups for $73 shipped. Seems insanely reasonable, so I'll confirm that they show up as expected (description said Ultra-torque, but pictured showed Power-Torque).

Originally Posted by noglider
Now I can't remember if Campagnolo chainrings have pins and ramps, and I'm not near my bike to check. My understanding is that pins and ramps are important if you have an indexed shifter on your front derailleur, and it has nothing to do with your rear shifting. Now, one thing I'm considering is using a down tube shifter for the front derailleur. It's not as crazy as it sounds, since you don't expect your front to shift as fast as your rear. If you're willing to do that, you can use any chainrings.

I'll check to see what the crankset on my Lemond looks like. I have 2x10 Veloce shifters and Veloce derailleurs. I got them from ribble at mystifyingly low prices. And as I said, I'm very impressed with how well these things work. The only problem is that it's not compatible with Shimano. I often start with a Shimano compatible hub or derailleur, so I have to finish with Shimano compatible stuff. This build started with the cranks and hubs.
Your Lemond looks awesome. Must be really light with that carbon fork, and I like the mix of black and silver. That has actually been my biggest dilemma so far, whether to go black or silver on all, or some components.

As mentioned above, I ended up getting new 10sp cranks, since they were so cheap, but I also considered just using a single friction lever for the front. It would have been perfectly sufficient for my needs.

So what do you guys recommend for colors/finish of components? Pics below can be considered as "before", with the first from the catalog and the second with the bike as is, save for fresh white bar tape.

I want to keep the white tape, and I already ordered a black crankset. So currently I'm leaning towards silver shift/brake levers, black brakes, and black rear derailleur. I think it would coordinate well with the black logo and head tube paint, plus offset nicely against the chromed seat stays and fork. I ultimately decided against silver cranks because I didn't think they would match well against the chrome stays.

What say you all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture Lotus.JPG (96.1 KB, 1462 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6238 cropped.jpg (223.4 KB, 1478 views)
Old 04-19-18, 01:16 PM
aka Tom Reingold

That's a really nice Lotus. I saw one on the street and thought of you.

I usually prefer silver over black. I got the black because it was the only color available, but I won't complain. I'm a little too thrifty, so aesthetics often suffer.

I haven't weighed my bike yet. I just did a frameset swap. The previous frameset was another Lemond Ti in a smaller size. That bike weighed 20 lbs, so I expect this is similar. I haven't had the chance to ride the new one much yet. Looking forward to it.

I'm glad you got that crankset. I'm sure it will work well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.