Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

So you want to flip bikes for a living? Part II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

So you want to flip bikes for a living? Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 07:46 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim

As far as the 20% rule goes.....not for me. My searching, finding, picking them up and selling is no more than the time it takes me to fix them up.
My searching and finding is probably 3X the time spent rehabbing.

Fortunately, I also search for other items at the same time, mainly designer clothing and other opportunistic ebay items. I find the other stuff 10X to 20X as often as bikes. If I was just looking for bikes, it would be frustrating.

As far as where to find bikes, this year, 50% came from thrift stores, 25% garage sales, 10% Craigs List, 10% word of mouth, and 5% ebay. In the last couple of months, 90% of my bikes have come from garage sales.
Old 10-10-09, 08:57 PM
Freedom Fighter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My searching and finding is probably 3X the time spent rehabbing.

Fortunately, I also search for other items at the same time, mainly designer clothing and other opportunistic ebay items. I find the other stuff 10X to 20X as often as bikes. If I was just looking for bikes, it would be frustrating.

As far as where to find bikes, this year, 50% came from thrift stores, 25% garage sales, 10% Craigs List, 10% word of mouth, and 5% ebay. In the last couple of months, 90% of my bikes have come from garage sales.
Thrift stores. I've never tried the thrift stores, I just assumed the employees would cherry pick the good stuff anyway.

I get a lot of my prizes from Craigslist here in the Metro Detroit area. I look for vague ads that have bad pictures and very little information. If they are nearby, I'll give them a call for more details. I can usually beat the flippers to a good bike that way. I also check Craigslist at certain times of the day when I know people are frequently posting and I try to check often. The trick is to catch the person right after they have posted and get there first. I scored a 2008 Schwinn Alloy DX by getting there within minutes of the posting. The owner wanted $150 and a new one goes for $550. It was spotless. I got my '95 Le Tour from a guy that couldn't even tell me what model it was but, I could tell from the crummy picture it had DT shifters so it was worth a shot. Got that one for $70.00. I wouldn't sell that one now for $350.00.

<off topic>

BTW Bill, I saw your Voyageur that you posted on another thread. It made me wanna run out and get one myself. Very, very nice bike. I had a chance to buy a mint one with a Dura-Ace crankset from a guy in Livonia for $260.00 and I passed on it. Big mistake on my part. Your postings are very thoughtful and intelligent. Kudos to you.
Old 10-10-09, 10:34 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I used to have a job where I traveled a lot locally, in the greater SF Bay Area. While driving from site to site, I'd stop at thrift stores along the way. Had a lot of good fishing in those days, with no expenditure of personal/leisure time.

Jobs change, and I don't cruise the thrifts like I used to. But there was a time when I was pulling nice bikes out of the piles in three's and four's for $5/ea. That was before the secondary used bike "boom" of a couple years ago. Then, I was one of the few looking. Now, everyone is looking. One yard manager told me that the same folks come back 3-4 times a day checking.

I can't be a yard vulture like that - I have to work for a living.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-11-09, 09:57 AM
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm with BigBossMan on this one... I have a job to go to, so I can't spend hour upon hour scouring the thrift stores for bikes. I just keep an eye out for deals in the places that I regularly check in on.

I must say that CL and eBay have changed the way I look for bargains. I have been into many hobbies over the years, and I cruise the flea markets and thrift stores with a trained eye for things that I am familiar with and that I know that I can flip. And I'll flip nearly anything that I know will make a few bucks... not just bicycles.

For example, I'm a former cigar smoker... consequently I know a lot about humidors. Cruising an Atlanta thrift store this week, I came across a beautiful hand built oak and cedar humidor. I recognized the quality... someone paid a LOT of money to have this box custom built. I would estimate that it prolly cost $400-$500 to have built. I bought it for $35 and it will be hitting eBay soon. I'll easily quadruple my money on it.

It's the same strategy for bikes around here. I look for bikes that people are selling for low prices that I can flip quickly. I don't put a lot of time or money into bikes that I'm looking to sell. But I don't buy anything that needs extensive work either. I usually try to buy it, clean it, and flip it quickly. I really just use flips to finance my keepers... I don't look to make a living doing it. I'd starve to death.
Old 10-11-09, 10:51 AM
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though I will not be quitting my day job to become a used bicycle salesman(conjuring an image of a old fat cigar chomping dude stuffing a BB full of sawdust) I believe that the effort was a success on all fronts.

1) I enjoyed a nice day doing something I like
2) I learned more about old Schwinn's
3) I brought back to life a nice bike
4) I gave a new owner a smile
5) I doubled my money

So as a business, no I won't Rockerfellering anytime soon...but as a hobby it more than pays for it's self. The pluses more than out weighs the negs.
Old 10-11-09, 01:51 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated

I must say that CL and eBay have changed the way I look for bargains. I have been into many hobbies over the years, and I cruise the flea markets and thrift stores with a trained eye for things that I am familiar with and that I know that I can flip. And I'll flip nearly anything that I know will make a few bucks... not just bicycles.

For example, I'm a former cigar smoker... consequently I know a lot about humidors. Cruising an Atlanta thrift store this week, I came across a beautiful hand built oak and cedar humidor. I recognized the quality... someone paid a LOT of money to have this box custom built. I would estimate that it prolly cost $400-$500 to have built. I bought it for $35 and it will be hitting eBay soon. I'll easily quadruple my money on it.
+1 I flip anything I know I can make something on, not just bikes. I picked up an MSR tent at a thrift store for $8 recently (they didn't have any bikes that day). Sold it on ebay for $147. If you know a fair amount about some niche items, you can find a lot of sellable scores out there. I also picked up a set of BOSE 301 speakers for $15. So if you are trolling the thrift stores and garage sales, you are likely to find a variety of deals. I find a lot more deals that are not bicycles, than the bicycles I have found. And my best bicycle flip was not a bike, it was a set of wheels. Go figure...

+1 A hobby that can be self funding, but not a business. You could make more handing out carts at Walmart.