Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seasucker vaccum mounted Bike rack

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Seasucker vaccum mounted Bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you took both wheels off - couldn't you fit the bike in the 911? Put the frame in the back seat and the two wheels up front??? Just curious? Might like to get a 911 someday. If not - a Cayenne.
Old 02-29-12, 08:23 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
If you took both wheels off - couldn't you fit the bike in the 911? Put the frame in the back seat and the two wheels up front??? Just curious? Might like to get a 911 someday. If not - a Cayenne.
I doubt it would fit, without taking the handlebars and perhaps the pedals off too, or sliding the passenger seat all the way forward.

I have a Cayenne. Trust me, you want the 911.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-29-12, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Sott Scale 29er, Specialized SL3 Roubaix, Colnago C59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
You so suck! And, PLEASE DO NOT install a hitch on that. Please.
Some of us actually use our expensive german cars. Porsche makes an OEM rack for all previous years. I would assume they make one for this model year as well. Might have to look for a ROW part number, but I'd check that out.
Old 02-29-12, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Why? Not that I have a Cayanne, but I've driven one on the racetrack and compared to the 911 they generally handle better with their lower moment of polar inertia.
Old 02-29-12, 09:25 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewk459
Why? Not that I have a Cayanne, but I've driven one on the racetrack and compared to the 911 they generally handle better with their lower moment of polar inertia.
???
Cayenne or Cayman?
Old 02-29-12, 09:55 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

I think you meant Cayman, and you can make an argument for that. I've driven a Cayman S and it's a wonderful car.

However for pure performance, a Cayman S is definitely slower than the new 911S. For one thing, the disadvantages of the 911's layout have been reduced in the 991 version, with a longer wheelbase, engine further forward, and wider front track.

This weekend at the Brumos Driving experience, there were a couple of Caymans. On a course that took approximately 40 seconds to complete, and had a bunch of tight turns and short straights, which should play to the Cayman's advantage, I was more than 3 seconds faster than either Cayman, which is a pretty big gap on that short of course, and not the result of my great driving prowess.
Old 02-29-12, 10:05 AM
pan y agua

Some of us actually use our expensive german cars. Porsche makes an OEM rack for all previous years. I would assume they make one for this model year as well. Might have to look for a ROW part number, but I'd check that out.
They're going to. It's not available yet, and no ETA.
Old 02-29-12, 10:11 AM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on the GT in the pic, not on my car.
It's not a GT car but a TTS with aero kit (and a great spec btw).

Originally Posted by telebianchi
I completely agree with you on this. My toy car is "only" a 2001 Miata that I bought in '06. Last spring, I finally got a Saris Bones rack because I hated having to drive my old Subie wagon on gorgeous blue-sky days just to be able to take the bike along.
Originally Posted by antmeeks
Ohhh! Hey, you & I need to talk! One of my cars is a '91 Miata BRG SE, and I've been desperate to find a good method of transporting the bike on it... Tell me more about this Saris Bones rack...
Goodwinracing.com has a 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch from Hard Dog for the NA (90-97) and NB (99-05) Miatas that once removed is completely invisible unless laying on your back. I'll be getting one this season for my 96. Link attached to site. https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...k-Hitches.html
Old 02-29-12, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you meant Cayman, and you can make an argument for that. I've driven a Cayman S and it's a wonderful car.

However for pure performance, a Cayman S is definitely slower than the new 911S. For one thing, the disadvantages of the 911's layout have been reduced in the 991 version, with a longer wheelbase, engine further forward, and wider front track.

This weekend at the Brumos Driving experience, there were a couple of Caymans. On a course that took approximately 40 seconds to complete, and had a bunch of tight turns and short straights, which should play to the Cayman's advantage, I was more than 3 seconds faster than either Cayman, which is a pretty big gap on that short of course, and not the result of my great driving prowess.
\

Whoops, you're right Cayman.. What they eye's read and the mind rationalized were two different things this morning. Those are great comments about the 991. 996/998 were both victims of continued evolution of the amount of weight hanging off the back end, they just got tougher and tougher to drive fast without the aid of electronics. That said, it sounds like the 991 is a delightful ride, can't wait to do a couple of laps in one.
Old 02-29-12, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by antmeeks
I think I'm just going to sit here for a few minutes and think about what it would be like to have that much money.

He only had that much money before he bought the car and that bike. Afterwards, he had that much less money.
Old 02-29-12, 01:02 PM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NRZ
Goodwinracing.com has a 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch from Hard Dog for the NA (90-97) and NB (99-05) Miatas that once removed is completely invisible unless laying on your back. I'll be getting one this season for my 96. Link attached to site. https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...k-Hitches.html
I like that hitch; I hadn't seen that one before. However, the hitch costs twice as much as the Saris rack and then you still need to buy a bike rack. If the Miata was my only car, it would be well worth it. But for just once in a while use I am happy with the Saris.

antmeeks: just google the Saris Bones & Miata. You will find lots of info. The Saris is one of the few trunk racks that properly fit a Miata.
Old 02-29-12, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember inquiring about this by phone at an LBS in Castro Valley. I think the only thing I wasn't sure about was how long the suctions will last. The guy said that he wasn't sure either, but he only travels from Castro Valley to Santa Cruz when he does MTB'ing and it never lost suction. I was ready to buy it along with the bike in December, until issues came up...
Old 02-29-12, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt it would fit, without taking the handlebars and perhaps the pedals off too, or sliding the passenger seat all the way forward.

Bummer regarding fitting a bike in the 911 & the performance of the Cayenne. I bet the frame would fit in a Panamera. but it's design is too Teutonically weird. The wife likes the Audi R8 - but seems even tighter for space. Oh well, I will continue to dream whilst sticking my road bike in the back of my VW Golf.

Last edited by Essex; 02-29-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 02:18 PM
pan y agua

A bike would easily fit in a Panamera. Might have to take the front wheel off.

The Cayenne performs nicely for a 4500 pound SUV; but it's not a sports car.
Old 02-29-12, 08:32 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
what kind of rack are you using on your prius?
Sorry for the very late reply. I had a rack for the longest time sitting in my garage. It has been discontinued. It is a trunk mounted rack, but it mounts the bike by taking the front wheel off and placing the fork in a skewer like the rails of the roof mounted racks. The best design I have seen to date and yet it is discontinued. Go figured!!!!

Old 03-01-12, 02:20 AM

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go with the Wilwood. Even if you are the 991 prototype the hitch mount will be more secure for the bike and car ( plus you can lock it).

Beautiful car, enjoy it.
Old 03-27-12, 03:53 AM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you ever get the Seasucker? Very curious to hear your experience with it.
Old 03-27-12, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.seasucker.tv/

anybody tried them?

I need a bike rack for this:

Porsche's rack for the 911, isn't available for the new (991) car, and I haven't gotten an answer to when it will be.

Also neither Yakima, or Thule have anything available for the 991.

So short of putting a hitch on it, this seems to be the best answer at the moment.
Come on, confess! You just wanted to show off your car.
Old 03-27-12, 07:46 PM

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be concerned with it pulling the panels, it will most def. pull on the panels. Pass
Old 03-27-12, 08:26 PM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by dgasmd
Did you ever get the Seasucker? Very curious to hear your experience with it.
No. I'm leaning toward the behind the plate hitch mount, just haven't had time to do the measurements to send to the guy.

Originally Posted by Painful Chafe
Come on, confess! You just wanted to show off your car.
Old 03-27-12, 10:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't the 911 have mounts built into rails over the door? If Porsche doesn't have a rack for it, but it has the mounts, I'm thinking there might be an aftermarket company producing them, or maybe adaptors. Either way, I'm not sure I'd want giant suction cups on the roof of my car, no matter how strong they hold. For the sake of the paint job.
Old 03-28-12, 10:54 AM
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. I'm leaning toward the behind the plate hitch mount, just haven't had time to do the measurements to send to the guy.
Thanks for the reply. I am curious about them myself. I have seen them shown at some of the bike events I have gone to, but i have never actually seen anyone that owns them. Would love to hear more about their experience. This would be an awesome rack to use and to also travel with overseas when you are renting a car as they would be easy to fit to just about anything.
Old 03-28-12, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Thanks for the reply. I am curious about them myself. I have seen them shown at some of the bike events I have gone to, but i have never actually seen anyone that owns them. Would love to hear more about their experience. This would be an awesome rack to use and to also travel with overseas when you are renting a car as they would be easy to fit to just about anything.
I have two sets and am happy with them. I use them on my wife's Honda Fit and haven't had any problems hauling either a mountain bike or a road bike.
Old 03-28-12, 06:15 PM
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I have two sets and am happy with them. I use them on my wife's Honda Fit and haven't had any problems hauling either a mountain bike or a road bike.
Can you post some pictures of it on the car with the bikes on it?
Old 03-28-12, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I'd like to see that too. I just put a standard hitch on my prius (it is no porsche) - but it is angled so that all you see is the actual 1.25 reciever - no bars or anything.

I just like the options you have with a hitch rack. I would not want anything touching the paint on your car - I would be just as hesitant to install a hitch too. That is a pretty car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.