Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you care if a guy rides topless?
No
61.54%
I don't care if they are in shape, I do mind if they aren't
3.30%
I don't care if they pass by, I do care in a group ride
10.99%
Yes, it bothers me
17.58%
Other (Explain in post)
6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 11:56 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I would never seriously advocate for it as I actually beleive people can do whatever they want,as long as it does not harm or infringe on the rights of others. But my preference is that people keep their clothes on. In reality i find shirtless men in public unpleasant (not a huge fan of shirtless women in public either, although it doedn't happen often enough for me to have any well formed opinions). But if i see an astonishigly hairy or sweaty or saggy etc shirtless man, I am perfectly capable of not looking.
Well-said! Just because we can do something; just because it should not be the province of government; does not mean we should do it. There was a time when most people possessed the traits of modesty; and at least had some concern about how their actions and appearance affected others- "do unto others" and all that. It now seems, as government has become much more pre-eminent, that many people's only concern is if they have the freedom to do something, without thought or care as to how it affects those around them.
Old 02-14-15, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Camo cargo shorts with lots of pockets and a camelback backpack.
Very mediocre troll. I give it a 3.8.
Old 02-14-15, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix SL3, Specialized Tricross Comp, Specialized Expedition, Borus X7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling topless, except for possible a few ladies, is really not a good idea especially if you are doing it to stay cool on hot days. Wearing a proper jersey will actually keep you cooler with air wicking and the fact that the sun is not beating down on your bare skin.
Old 02-14-15, 03:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Well, it's no business of mine if you're pleasuring yourself on the road. Be safe.
Haha, nice one
Old 02-14-15, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
None of my bikes have ever worn a shirt. I on the other hand always wear one. There used to be a male rider in Austin Texas that only wore a g string. Almost crashed first time I saw him on the bike path.
And he's dead now. See what riding without the right kit will get you?
Old 02-14-15, 03:55 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
feel the same about them as i do about shirtless golfers.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-15-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 06:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cipo says he doesn't give a bleep what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (106.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-15-15, 11:03 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
& then there's World Naked Bike Day https://www.google.com/search?q=Nake...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://vimeo.com/99978874
Old 02-15-15, 03:32 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Is there a House Bill on this? I have the right to ride with no shirt or a winter parka if I so choose. But then, it's fun to discuss such things in the dead of winter here on the 45th parallel.
Old 02-15-15, 03:33 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Tank top?
Old 02-15-15, 09:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only guy around here that rides shirtless is homeless/mentally ill. Everybody else wears a shirt unless they are at the beach or perhaps doing yard work on their own property.
Old 02-15-15, 09:11 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
I keep threatening to ride wearing just a HRM sensor strap up top but my wise wife keeps gently reminding me DON'T DO THAT!
Saw a guy doing that a couple of years ago and it wasn't pretty which would be more than true for me, too.
Old 02-16-15, 10:16 AM
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Is there a House Bill on this? I have the right to ride with no shirt or a winter parka if I so choose. But then, it's fun to discuss such things in the dead of winter here on the 45th parallel.
I know you were making a comment about freedom of choice, but I would like to point out that, unless it is -30 degrees or colder, a real parka will be too warm for riding.
Old 02-16-15, 10:17 AM
Seńor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I keep threatening to ride wearing just a HRM sensor strap up top but my wise wife keeps gently reminding me DON'T DO THAT!
Saw a guy doing that a couple of years ago and it wasn't pretty which would be more than true for me, too.
It is not offensive as long as you can still see the HRM strap. If the strap is not visible, you MUST wear a shirt.
Old 02-16-15, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 462 Posts
I'd be concerned more about road rash than about what other people thought of you.

I voted for "no, except during a group ride". Setting aside the fact that shirtless riding would be extremely bizarre during a group ride, I have no desire to be looking at another man's armpit hair while in a peloton.

I have ridden extensively without a shirt during bike tours in SE Asia. It was hot.
Old 02-16-15, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I know you were making a comment about freedom of choice, but I would like to point out that, unless it is -30 degrees or colder, a real parka will be too warm for riding.
Awoke to -10F (actual) today. We could hit your -30 this Saturday, though. Rats, I was looking forward to hearing the complaints.
Old 02-16-15, 12:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
I'd be concerned more about road rash than about what other people thought of you.

I voted for "no, except during a group ride". Setting aside the fact that shirtless riding would be extremely bizarre during a group ride, I have no desire to be looking at another man's armpit hair while in a peloton.

I have ridden extensively without a shirt during bike tours in SE Asia. It was hot.
I can tell you from personal experience that 1 mm of Lycra does jack to protect you from road rash.

Tri geeks wear those sleeveless jerseys. Thankfully, a lot of them seem to shave their pit hair. Or at least thin the forest a bit.
Old 02-16-15, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Whenever anyone turns up to a group ride in a sleeveless jersey, I assume less than proficient pack skills until proven otherwise.
Old 02-16-15, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't care one way or the other, but I do think it looks classier with proper attire. No one has anything to prove to me. Like golf; it shows that someone really cares about their sport by wanting to wear the proper clothing for gold; to look a little better than some redneck with bluejeans and and tank top or no shirt at all. I think cyclist with the cycling shirt, shorts/pants, just look proud of their hobby/sport.
Lot's of people, and it's their own business, just don't care what they look like at any time. I'm a little different. I try to take some pride in myself, and try to show it when around others. It's doesn't mean I'm trying to be better than the next person. I live for me.
Old 02-16-15, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What other people do with their own bodies is their concern, not mine. You want to ride shirtless? Go ahead. I won't, but that's because I am very self conscious of my chest area, and I hate having it exposed...
Old 02-16-15, 03:18 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just picture the 400 lb. woman walking around Walmart in a thong and flip-flops. You don't want to be her, even you';re 150 lbs., because no matterr what you look like, not everyone's going to think your body is a work of art. Save it for those who do. (This is why I quit shopping at Walmart a long time ago!)
Old 02-16-15, 04:05 PM

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Just picture the 400 lb. woman walking around Walmart in a thong and flip-flops. You don't want to be her, even you';re 150 lbs., because no matterr what you look like, not everyone's going to think your body is a work of art. Save it for those who do. (This is why I quit shopping at Walmart a long time ago!)
So if someone has an ugly face should they hide that too?

Also, offtopic but..."#1: No matter how long you ride into that unrelenting headwind it will shift 180 degrees at the exact same time you turn around."

Ain't that the truth. Happened to me last commute. Fighting a tough headwind, take a 90 degree turn left. Fighting a tough headwind, take a 90 degree turn right. Fighting a tough headwind, take another 90 degree turn right. Fighting a tough headwind...what the **** is this ****?
Old 02-16-15, 04:16 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
MHO, it's a little crass to be shirtless in public............. either sex!
Old 02-16-15, 04:24 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
MHO, it's a little crass to be shirtless in public............. either sex!
Yes, it can be. But I don't see other people being crass as my problem. It's theirs, and if they want to be crass, I can easily find other directions to look.

Whatever one chooses to do while riding on the open road, the effect (if any) on anyone else will be transitory, as they pass each other. Even on a group ride, you can find ways to manage the issue if someone is somehow visually offensive to you.

Give me a shirtless rider over someone with a boombox any day of the week.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-16-15, 04:25 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12945 Post(s)
Liked 7,855 Times in 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
Making a poll because I'm curious. I've gone my entire life doing physical activities topless when its really hot out, whether that's skateboarding, jogging, disc golfing or biking. Never thought twice about it.
Same here. Some people do get weird about it, though. There are a couple of dudes that race CX/STXC around here without a shirt/jersey. Probably psychs out the competition a bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.