Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Being part of the problem!!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Being part of the problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 09:17 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
^^This is possible in a city grid where a decent cyclist can stay mostly ahead of traffic. Out on the open road, no matter where a cyclist positions themselves, the cyclist is completely at the mercy of the motorist overtaking from the rear. Pretty much anyway. I have ditched a couple of times thanks to my helmet mounted mirror - which is part of CONSTANTLY MONITOR ALL AREAS while cycling. I assure you, from what I witness every day, many cyclists ride along "fat, happy, and stupid" simply reacting to their immediate surroundings and paying attention to nothing.
I totally agree, except for the being at the mercy of motorists from the rear part. With a proper mirror, gear, and lane position, and constant monitoring, (vs. fat and happy and stupid) we actually have plenty of control of our situation.

Sometimes, being a safe cyclist means GETTING THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. IMO anyway. Opinions may vary. I keep the same mentality cycling in a dense city grid at home. If I feel like I am "in the way" of speeding traffic, then I am doing something very wrong.
Sometimes, being "in the way" is unavoidable. Like most cyclists, I plan my routes and my ride times to avoid traffic. Once I do all this (and more, none of which is required) I offer no apology for sometimes being momentarily in the way of other road users. I'm just another part of traffic.

Maybe if more cyclists avoided allowing motorists to dictate when and where they can ride on the road, cyclists could be more common and even safer... even though it's not really as risky as some make it out to be out there now.

There seems to be a lot of fear of what "might" happen if one rides on certain roads, or in certain situations. Just thinking about it we all can conjure up all kinds of deadly scenarios. I've done it myself. Thankfully, the reality of what really happens is much different.
Old 05-15-17, 09:54 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

There seems to be a lot of fear of what "might" happen if one rides on certain roads, or in certain situations. Just thinking about it we all can conjure up all kinds of deadly scenarios. I've done it myself. Thankfully, the reality of what really happens is much different.
That is very true, which is why I choose to be pragmatic rather than dogmatic.
Old 05-15-17, 10:32 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of things about the video above that makes it appear to be a fake, from maintaining an excellent camera angle on the rider & van to the rider reaching out towards the van before being cut off.
So, do you also think that The Independent UK news that YOU provided the link to is also fake news?
Do you believe the drivers firing is also fake?
Van driver caught swerving into cyclist in helmet-cam video | The Independent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Independent

Maybe you are not a real person, just fake since you posted the news article.
Old 05-16-17, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
A pool noodle shaped like a giant key might encourage drivers of shiny new cars to give us plenty of room to avoid keying their paint.
Yes, that's the point. I'm even thinking of having a fishing float ball dangling on the end to push the message home.
Old 05-16-17, 07:31 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by kickstart
I guess I just don't have such a far reaching train of thought when out on the road. I simply do what I feel is best at a given moment for my safety and those around me. When other road users are doing the right thing and being respectful, I have no problem making it easier to get around me.
Fixing the world is too big of a job for me, I don't need the hassle. Give a little, take a little, and find an equilibrium with the world as it actually exists rather than trying to make it how I think it should be.

Some might not agree, but it has kept me safe and sane.

I pretty much agree. I just figured if the OP wanted to spin it and try to paint the cyclist using the lane "As part of the problem" it's fair game to turn the tables and dish it right back to him. Hay, A&S entertainment and all.

But I do believe a valid argument could be made that cyclists doing everything they can to stay out of the way of motorists (including taking on more risk) aren't really helping cyclists in the big picture.

That is very true, which is why I choose to be pragmatic rather than dogmatic.

Yet there are plenty of cyclists who others would label "Dogmatic" who are out there riding all sorts of roads and conditions with little or no problems. Go figure. Good for them, I say, I'll gladly cheer them on.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 05-16-17 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yet there are plenty of cyclists who others would label "Dogmatic" who are out there riding all sorts of roads and conditions with little or no problems. Go figure. Good for them, I say, I'll gladly cheer them on.
In my experience, location is a significant factor, and there's places where one can ride as they choose with little or no problem, therefore its a placebo rather than a cure.

From what I've seen, virtually no cyclists ride dogmatically as some imply they do, or how they think others should here on BF. I think a lot of what we see here, on both sides, is simply over simplification to save time when posting, and folks trying to assure themselves that they have things figured out and are in control.
Old 05-16-17, 08:54 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

In my experience, location is a significant factor, and there's places where one can ride as they choose with little or no problem, therefore its a placebo rather than a cure.

From what I've seen, virtually no cyclists ride dogmatically as some imply they do, or how they think others should here on BF. I think a lot of what we see here, on both sides, is simply over simplification to save time when posting, and folks trying to assure themselves that they have things figured out and are in control.

Thanks, Kickstart.

On the other hand there are folks (not you) who seemingly toss their hands up and say there's simply nothing we can do to take control of our safety... Drivers will do whatever they want, so it's best to just stay out of their way at all costs. This is not a workable plan in my area or experience. Much better to ride large and take charge. <-- This doesn't mean I can't move right when safe and reasonable to do so! But I refuse to live and die there. I'm just glad I have it all figured out.

From what I've seen a large percentage of cyclists are too timid for their own good, and actually increase their risk.
Old 05-16-17, 09:57 AM

"Drivers will do whatever they want, so it's best to just stay out of their way at all costs."

Again, I ask, why is bad driving an acceptable norm?
Old 05-19-17, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by deaninkl

what are your thoughts?
Can't wait for self-driving cars.
Old 05-19-17, 07:35 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
"Drivers will do whatever they want, so it's best to just stay out of their way at all costs."

Again, I ask, why is bad driving an acceptable norm?
To answer your question... "because so many have done it for so long..." But indeed, that doesn't make it right... and the fact that LE somewhat turns a blind eye to all but the worst offenses doesn't help a bit.
Old 05-19-17, 08:01 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
To answer your question... "because so many have done it for so long..." But indeed, that doesn't make it right... and the fact that LE somewhat turns a blind eye to all but the worst offenses doesn't help a bit.
It's a cultural thing too. Independence, and not playing by the rules is admired, and condoned by many. Even here on BF, suggesting a cyclist should obey all laws will make that person the target of derision by some. Drivers and motorcyclist are no different.
Old 05-19-17, 08:17 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

It's a cultural thing too. Independence, and not playing by the rules is admired, and condoned by many. Even here on BF, suggesting a cyclist should obey all laws will make that person the target of derision by some. Drivers and motorcyclist are no different.
As a motorist who likes to adhere to the posted speed limit I can vouch for this. I've had friends and family poke fun at me for doing so, even though my driving record is spotless and theirs isn't.
Old 05-20-17, 04:36 AM
genec

As a motorist who likes to adhere to the posted speed limit I can vouch for this. I've had friends and family poke fun at me for doing so, even though my driving record is spotless and theirs isn't.
Oh, so true. It's almost as if folks take pride in NOT obeying the traffic law.
Old 05-20-17, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
we have elected him Leader
Old 05-20-17, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That is a good sized lane.

The lane is probably about 12' wide.
The van is about 6'6" wide.

That leaves about 5'6" for the bicycle.

Stop foolishly insisting that a bicycle should always occupy 12' of road space.
I agree. Riding along in the middle of the road may be legal but it's also unwise IMO, far too many psycho drivers out there. Mind you if they want to do it I'm happy to watch the videos and have a laugh.
Old 05-20-17, 06:10 AM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The video is rather odd. The cyclist extends his right arm while the van is still directly to the right of him,
He was probably measuring the distance to see if it was legal
Old 05-20-17, 09:17 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, so true. It's almost as if folks take pride in NOT obeying the traffic law.
I don't know about driving forums, but it's an attitude displayed on every cycling, and motorcycling forum I've visited.
Old 05-20-17, 09:23 AM

I don't know about driving forums, but it's an attitude displayed on every cycling, and motorcycling forum I've visited.
https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-18/survey-finds-bicyclists-and-motorists-ignore-traffic-laws-similar-rates
Old 05-20-17, 09:38 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 838 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I agree. Riding along in the middle of the road may be legal but it's also unwise IMO, far too many psycho drivers out there. Mind you if they want to do it I'm happy to watch the videos and have a laugh.
You mentioned psycho drivers. How many fatalities do we have each year where a raging psycho takes out a cyclist taking the lane?

How many rear end fatalities do we have each year where the cyclist is well right and the vehicle sideswipes or runs over the cyclist because they didn't see the cyclist or they made a judgement error on their distance from the cyclist?

There is not a definitive answer to those questions, but our limited data points to the latter as the larger problem. When I employ my risk management strategies, I develop them for the greater threat.
Old 05-20-17, 10:06 AM
genec

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You mentioned psycho drivers. How many fatalities do we have each year where a raging psycho takes out a cyclist taking the lane?

How many rear end fatalities do we have each year where the cyclist is well right and the vehicle sideswipes or runs over the cyclist because they didn't see the cyclist or they made a judgement error on their distance from the cyclist?

There is not a definitive answer to those questions, but our limited data points to the latter as the larger problem. When I employ my risk management strategies, I develop them for the greater threat.
There have been some quite notable collisions where a psycho driver takes out a group of cyclists...
Old 05-20-17, 10:53 AM
For The Fun of It

There have been some quite notable collisions where a psycho driver takes out a group of cyclists...
I am not being purposefully obtuse here, but I am struggling to understand your point.
Old 05-20-17, 11:10 AM
genec

I am not being purposefully obtuse here, but I am struggling to understand your point.
My point being that if a lone cyclist taking the lane is so visible, why is it that there have been some quite notable collisions of groups of cyclists... Or even such things as garbage trucks... being hit from behind.

Take the lane when you need to, but be aware that there are drivers out there that won't see a giant trash truck, much less a small peloton, or a single rider.
Old 05-20-17, 11:28 AM
For The Fun of It

My point being that if a lone cyclist taking the lane is so visible, why is it that there have been some quite notable collisions of groups of cyclists... Or even such things as garbage trucks... being hit from behind.

Take the lane when you need to, but be aware that there are drivers out there that won't see a giant trash truck, much less a small peloton, or a single rider.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that either risk mitigation strategy was foolproof, only that we should look at the available accident data, and use it to guide us on how to mitigate the greater risk.
Old 05-20-17, 01:21 PM
genec

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that either risk mitigation strategy was foolproof, only that we should look at the available accident data, and use it to guide us on how to mitigate the greater risk.
Yeah, tend to agree... but I doubt there is really good collision data for cyclists... based on the generally poor reporting (record keeping) that is often done in such cases.

Frankly I tend to believe a good cyclist has lots and lots of options in their cycling toolbox... from "full and legit to the letter cycling," to "ninja," to "messenger," and all the variants and combinations in between. It just takes experience to be able to figure out what to do when, to avoid bad situations...

And the last thing we need is to be dogmatic about believing one way is better than another.

We really cannot expect motorists to watch for us... in spite of the fact that we are legitimate users of the road.

However, to the OP, I really do not believe we are "part of the problem," as "the problem" tends to be impatient motorists that believe we should not be on "their road." Clearly the biggest delay for drivers, is other cars, not cyclists. Perhaps the only exception to the above, is a cyclist that chooses to dogmatically take the lane when other options could be exercised. Of course the flip side to that is the motorist that dogmatically feels they own the lane, when other options could be exercised.
Old 05-20-17, 01:45 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
Dean,

I am in complete agreement. We may be in the minority I think though. You are correct, there are roads where we just should not ride when it's rush-hour, or heavy traffic, or no room for cars and bikes. Find a different route. I've seen a lot of bad things in my 50 years of road cycling. It some ways it's gotten better over the years and in other ways it's become a lot worse. Some cyclists, in my opinion, have this chip on their shoulder that tells them they can do anything they want. I've seen it, witnessed it, cursed at it, tried to reason with it, most often to no avail.

And yes, we have the same right to be on the road as cars but that does not give cyclist license to an a55. Taking up an entire road is being an a55. Taking up an entire lane in 5 o'clock traffic is being an a55. I used to commute to work. And yes, I had to be on the road during 5 o'clock traffic but I found alternate routes to purposefully avoid the traffic. It was not just for being considerate, it was for my own safety. I'm very selfish in that regard so I don't ride on heavy traffic roads.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 05-20-17 at 01:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.