Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Huge Discrepancy in Elevation Gain between Wahoo and Strava iOS Apps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Huge Discrepancy in Elevation Gain between Wahoo and Strava iOS Apps

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 02:25 AM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
if I recall you can fi d the device name near the top of a .gpx file. It'll be in a .fit file as well but you will need a decoder. .gpx is just text.
Using Golden Cheetah as suggested by Seattle Forrest, under Details, Device, the Device is just listed as "Wahoo fitness" and the Device Info field is blank.
Old 12-20-21, 08:09 AM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I don't know how to get a .gpx file. The Wahoo iOS app can export a .fit file but I am still looking for a viewer or preferably a converter to Excel; can anyone please recommend such an app (preferably PC)?
there are a few tools that can be found here. one is a .fit file viewer with nothing to install.
Old 12-20-21, 08:14 AM

i did some research a while back while writing my own app...

some interesting stuff regarding elevation and how strava handles it:
https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...-Your-Activity

and this if you need force barometric data for devices that don't support it or for those that do but strava has not caught up yet:
https://developers.strava.com/docs/uploads/

i consider this a bit of a hack since any elevation data can be uploaded this way. i think i only use this for one case and all others are just .fit files since they are smaller.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-20-21, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Try riding a completely flat route along the coast and use the GPS to determine altitude. The resulting profile should be flat. If its not you have an indication how much GPS derived altitude data deviates.
Old 12-21-21, 09:20 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4800 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Does Strava with their elevation correction, as an example, rely on their presumed database of eg. hundreds/thousands of past rides along same routes where a barometric altimeter provided inputs -- and conceivably Strava could average those inputs for a theoretically more accurate correction?
Old 12-21-21, 11:01 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6352 Post(s)
Liked 4,955 Times in 3,413 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does Strava with their elevation correction, as an example, rely on their presumed database of eg. hundreds/thousands of past rides along same routes where a barometric altimeter provided inputs -- and conceivably Strava could average those inputs for a theoretically more accurate correction?
I've wondered about this same thing too. Not just Strava, but RWGPS and all the others too.

Or is the amount of wacky data just too enormous? Even if you look at just relative info, how do you filter out stuff like errors for the constantly changing atmospheric pressure? While you could go out and get nearby weather reports now you are adding quite a bit of complication to the algorithms. I have gone for a ride and the barometer changed enough to have my starting elevation and ending elevation which are the same place be off by 400 ft and maybe quite a bit more.

So maybe they don't. If you know the complication to coding that would add and then multiply that by all the other things that would have to be looked at with their unique set of things to complicate the code, then with the other regular things like creating new features and new flashy looking user experiences (which we all dislike.... initially till we get use to them) the Strava and other sites programmers are trying just to keep up with, then it might be too much for them to worry about.

I've also wondered if they do this for estimated power too. There are some instances they come up with a really bogus high power for my efforts that I can't really come up with a explanation for. Especially since many are the same route and roughly the same time.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-21-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-21-21, 11:14 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
This was my understanding of how they came up with their elevation data, but I could be wrong.
Old 12-21-21, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01
I've wondered about this same thing too. Not just Strava, but RWGPS and all the others too.

Or is the amount of wacky data just too enormous? Even if you look at just relative info, how do you filter out stuff like errors for the constantly changing atmospheric pressure? While you could go out and get nearby weather reports now you are adding quite a bit of complication to the algorithms. I have gone for a ride and the barometer changed enough to have my starting elevation and ending elevation which are the same place be off by 400 ft and maybe quite a bit more.

So maybe they don't. If you know the complication to coding that would add and then multiply that by all the other things that would have to be looked at with their unique set of things to complicate the code, then with the other regular things like creating new features and new flashy looking user experiences (which we all dislike.... initially till we get use to them) the Strava and other sites programmers are trying just to keep up with, then it might be too much for them to worry about.

I've also wondered if they do this for estimated power too. There are some instances they come up with a really bogus high power for my efforts that I can't really come up with a explanation for. Especially since many are the same route and roughly the same time.
if i recall from my past reading Strava uses their digital elevation map (DEM) as a base line and augments it with barometric elevation data from real rides. the DEM is only so accurate so relying solely on that is guaranteed to be incorrect/inaccurate as far as elevation/total climb goes. i'll bet this additional information is averaged to create something more accurate. and the coding in this respect is not complicated, only the data set grows so adds time to compute but there are optimizations that can be put into effect such as knowing ahead of time what the elevation profile is for a given stretch of road/trail, only the intermediate lat/long need be interpolated from two nearby known locations.
Old 12-21-21, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If I was Strava, I wouldn't update my DEM from incoming ride data because the quality of the elevation numbers is so variable. Also because it would allow people to troll you kind of like how they used to "digital dope" but just send rides with deliberately bad data to break a segment or something.
Old 12-21-21, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If I was Strava, I wouldn't update my DEM from incoming ride data because the quality of the elevation numbers is so variable. Also because it would allow people to troll you kind of like how they used to "digital dope" but just send rides with deliberately bad data to break a segment or something.
I agree that the data is variable for a...variable number of reasons. But likely better than the raw satellite derived DEM.

here is where I read about how strava improves their DEM:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...s/115000024864
Old 12-28-21, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,894 Posts
Somewhat different issue, but I've been getting very different values from planned ridewithgps routes and the elevation recorded with my wahoo when I actually ride the ride.

Top part of the image is the actual ride, uploaded from my Wahoo to ridewithgps. Bottom part of the image is the route planned with ridewithgps. As the two maps indicate, i followed the planned route very closely.

Ride was also uploaded to strava, which indicated 32.98 miles, 1631 feet of climbing.

Go figure.