Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

RWGPS Too Much Useless Garbage

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

RWGPS Too Much Useless Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked 2,156 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by MilhouseJ
My favorite "feature" while mapping a route is when it constantly puts me down side-streets, crossing highways just to cross back, taking off ramps just to take the on ramps, circuitously winding around my intended route in senseless ways... Though to be fair, it's kinda therapeutic to get it set just right and then go back and remove all the control points. Occasionally my saved routes will change ever so slightly without input from me.
I think I understand the rationale, safety in avoiding busy roads (maybe?), but sometimes the highways are just nice to ride.😅
I find when creating routes, that if I’ve selected Cycling as the choice, vs. Driving or Walking, then it will detour me off a main road and onto parallel side streets. Sometimes annoying, but if I go back to Driving as the method, doesn’t detour anywhere near as often. I will then only choose Cycling if I’m going to use a path of some sorts. Then I switch back.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-08-24, 11:52 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
ridewithgps ancient history!
Back before 2010, we were using mapmyride.com for creating routes. It was slow and tedious, with no "follow roads" option -- just zoom way in and repeatedly click down the road, to make a route from straight line segments. click, click, click... Slow! A lot better than nothing, though -- we got turn distances and ride mileage, and primitive elevation info.

I heard about this new "ride with gps" site, and tried it out. My oldest route is still there, dated 3/12/2010. With a URL sequence number in the 40,000 range. My newest route is numbered 46,280,000. (it's a sequential counter that's used for both routes and rides.) Did it have "follow roads" ability from the beginning? I don't remember, and the early routes have obvious straight line joins, but perhaps it just wasn't as fine-grained data as it is now.

"follow roads"! that was such a game changer. It became easy to route on one road, change my mind, undo and reroute.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 05-08-24, 12:06 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I find when creating routes, that if I’ve selected Cycling as the choice, vs. Driving or Walking, then it will detour me off a main road and onto parallel side streets. Sometimes annoying, but if I go back to Driving as the method, doesn’t detour anywhere near as often. I will then only choose Cycling if I’m going to use a path of some sorts. Then I switch back.
A quick test of Driving vs Cycling: I clicked a start point, then an ending point way across the city. I got routed onto the interstate -- of course it did! So it's also going to pick those 50 mph 4-lane busy roads too.

Driving mode works with a local riverfront park. The road is never busy, and the wide sidewalk/bike path has lots of walkers, so the road is much better. rwgps wants to use the displayed bike path, of course. Driving mode just stays on the road, good. It's probably usable out in the country where I make most of my routes.

I have seen rwgps take farm roads as shortcuts. Sometimes these don't even go all the way through, and aren't suitable for road bikes at all. Are they even public? They do show on the maps.
Old 05-08-24, 02:16 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3318 Post(s)
Liked 2,156 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
A quick test of Driving vs Cycling: I clicked a start point, then an ending point way across the city. I got routed onto the interstate -- of course it did! So it's also going to pick those 50 mph 4-lane busy roads too.

Driving mode works with a local riverfront park. The road is never busy, and the wide sidewalk/bike path has lots of walkers, so the road is much better. rwgps wants to use the displayed bike path, of course. Driving mode just stays on the road, good. It's probably usable out in the country where I make most of my routes.

I have seen rwgps take farm roads as shortcuts. Sometimes these don't even go all the way through, and aren't suitable for road bikes at all. Are they even public? They do show on the maps.
Well, yes, of course it’s going to put you on a highway if you let it choose to create the route by selecting start and end only, it’s obvious that you need to be aware this is how the route creater program thinks and gain control by manually selecting a road alternative that’s not the interstate. It lets you do that.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-08-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-08-24, 03:01 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Last year I cycled ~6600 mile route visiting 26 state capitols and definitely had differences in my preferences on a driving vs bicycling route.
- Cycling through most of South Dakota I was better off picking the driving route because of the issue you mentioned. I wasn't anywhere close to an Interstate and the underlying maps would otherwise present roads with "unknown" surface as paved and occasionally pick routes that were private or didn't go through
- Cycling through northeast Ohio even roads I would otherwise think weren't major would have lots of traffic and narrow shoulders and so I was better off with the bicycling directions

In Central Texas I occasionally have a blend of both. As an example, last weekend I cycled from Austin to College Station. The RWGPS bicycle route picked what essentially looked like a farm path that wasn't a public road and I'm not sure it would have connect. On the other hand we also have large metro areas between Austin/San Antonio and towards Houston/Dallas where I don't want RWGPS auto routes that put me onto urban highways and in urban areas have minimal issue with unpaved or incomplete routes.