Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Either Poor or DWI. LOL!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Either Poor or DWI. LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 12:22 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Just rode my bike to the DMV the other day... to renew the registration for my boat. Neither of which has a motor... and yet there I was at the Department of MOTOR vehicles.
Old 07-28-10, 12:25 PM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jefferee
To sum it up: when was the last time you deliberately took the long way to a destination in your car?
Well, actually, I have, more than once. I have a sports car (not an expensive one) but I love the sounds it makes, love to carve through twisty roads with it, love going fast.

I will probably never get over my love for fast cars, but I still love riding my bike, too. If I take the plunge to start commuting by bike, it won't be because I hate cars. It will be because I need the exercise, and to save money on gas and insurance. And to prove to people I can do it.
Old 07-28-10, 12:45 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jefferee
To sum it up: when was the last time you deliberately took the long way to a destination in your car?
I do it now and then... "the long way" sometimes is faster as it doesn't include the freeway. I tend to know these routes as I bike, so I know "other ways" around, where as most folks just think of the freeway as "the only way" around.

Funny thing is sometimes I forget about freeways... had folks ask me directions to a place one time and I laid it all out... moments later after they drove off my wife asked... why didn't you just send them to the freeway. D'oh... didn't even think of it.
Old 07-28-10, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Funny thing is sometimes I forget about freeways... had folks ask me directions to a place one time and I laid it all out... moments later after they drove off my wife asked... why didn't you just send them to the freeway. D'oh... didn't even think of it.
I was going to ask a neighbor for a ride to a particular store one day, to pick up some stargazer lilies at a good price ... but I couldn't think of how to get there except by taking the MUP. To this day I don't even know the names of the streets it's on.
Old 07-28-10, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Well, actually, I have, more than once. I have a sports car (not an expensive one) but I love the sounds it makes, love to carve through twisty roads with it, love going fast.

I will probably never get over my love for fast cars, but I still love riding my bike, too. If I take the plunge to start commuting by bike, it won't be because I hate cars. It will be because I need the exercise, and to save money on gas and insurance. And to prove to people I can do it.
Wait... I've been to Louisiana several times, and I NEVER saw a "twisty road". Are you sure that's where you're from?!
Old 07-28-10, 01:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Windsor Wellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
And what if you didn't?

There's a bit of an attitude around here (meaning BF) where, deliberately or not, commuters who can't afford to or legally are unable to drive are viewed with some level of contempt. It kind of seems to me that importance of cars and driving as a class symbol hasn't necessarily diminished amongst commuters.
If someone can't afford a car, I see nothing wrong with that. But if someone can't drive because their license was suspended, I definitely look down on that, because it basically means the person drives around while drunk or is otherwise an extremely dangerous and irresponsible driver (this is why licenses are suspended, yes?).
Old 07-28-10, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman

I will probably never get over my love for fast cars, but I still love riding my bike, too.
Same here.. but I generally only drive my car when I have to go out of town, or if it's late at night and traffic is light, I might go for a little pleasure drive. Or if i'm going out with a girl or something...
Old 07-28-10, 01:49 PM
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csimons
If someone can't afford a car, I see nothing wrong with that. But if someone can't drive because their license was suspended, I definitely look down on that, because it basically means the person drives around while drunk or is otherwise an extremely dangerous and irresponsible driver (this is why licenses are suspended, yes?).
Sort of true, yeah, but I think you have to leave some room for teenagers to do stupid things. I mean, you do lots of things as a young/early adult while you're trying to "find yourself," and sometimes, these things are just a one-time deal. I will view a 45yr old with a DUI totally differently than a 22yr old with one. I assume that the 22yr old is learning a lesson, but the 45yr old is just dangerous and irresponsible (and this probably wouldn't be his first DUI anyway). Of course, the 22yr old could be on his way to becoming the 45yr old with multiple DUIs, but I don't like to think that right at first.