Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are 28mm tires wide enough for gravel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are 28mm tires wide enough for gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 04:27 PM
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
on midwest dirt roads with loose rocks and potholes, id want something wider. texas might be similar. on west coast logging roads and roads to nowhere in the mountains, id go 32 minimum. i run conti cyclocross speeds for off road pursuits. those are 35's and have a nice round, file-ish tread in the middle and knobbies on the side. they run up to 85 psi so they work well for fast, crap weather commuters too. i did 20 miles of gravel logging roads on them saturday and rode through downtown portland on them this morning. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...-clincher-tire

Last edited by pdxtex; 09-18-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize this thread is old, but I actually put knobby 30's on an old powdercoated 80's Ciocc today and rode some rail trails. The front tire had a tiny bit of issue with clearance under the caliper so I put the 23 back on the front. It beat me up a little bit, quite honestly. I'm going to swap brakes and try it again, but just putting some bigger tires on an old steel road bike did not give me a "gravel grinder" that I'd be comfortable doing any sort of distance on.
Old 09-19-13, 05:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, near where I live there are a number of gravel roads, a legacy of farmland I supposed. On some roads I do fine a road bike with 23mm tires but on others I have a really hard time on a MTB with 1.5" tires, actually on some sections it scared the crap of out me. So just saying gravel roads doesn't mean much until you actual try to ride them first.
Old 09-19-13, 06:08 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
gravel is definitely a catch-all term; there are many types of road and trail surfaces that can broadly be called 'gravel'.

This. I've done Roubaix style races, with long gravel/sand/clay/mud sections on 23mm racing tires. On the other end, for Dirty Kanza a gravel road race, its'recommended to use at least 40mm tires.

That said I'd ride most gravel roads with a 28mm tire. Skinny tire road bikes are actually a lot more capable than most people realize. You can ride single track on 23mm tires
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-27-13, 10:51 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Thirty fours squeezed into a road frame and Shimano 105. Love these cheap tires for gravel and some technical off-road. To fit them, the only way to get them past the calipers is to have them deflated and then once in the frame, air up. I'll admit to always tweaking with the pressures depending on the conditions. Major difference in handling and do prefer low pressure on loose and high pressure for stone up to a number 8. Beats one up but love the light feeling and climb. Surprisingly, these don't growl on asphalt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rapid 1 knobs fronta.jpg (99.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg
rapid 1 knobs reara.jpg (95.0 KB, 251 views)