Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Locking Skewers (Wheels/Seat)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Locking Skewers (Wheels/Seat)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 10:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
It all depends on where you live. In NYC bikes get stripped down for parts in the blink an eye, quick release or no quick release.

The bolts that most bikes have can be removed in about ten seconds with a basic wrench. Check out the NYC Craigslist. A used wheel easily fetches $50-$80. Also, sometimes people new to biking will only lock their front wheel. A thief detaches the front wheel and takes the rest of the bike. Now all he has to do is steal someone else's front wheel and he can sell a complete bike.

Here in DC there's a bike in front of my apartment that had the seat and wheel stolen. A bike in the back had the seat removed (not the seat post, just the crappy saddle that sells new for only $20). I can walk one block in any direction and find bikes stripped down to the frame.

Now, back to my question two posts back. What makes the wheels of Dutch bikes so difficult to remove?
They're bolted and have no value.

Have you been to the netherlands, why would you a bicycle wheel from any of these bikes?

Old 11-05-13, 10:48 AM
Banned

the other question is what does one do with a stolen wheel?

i mean a brand new wheel with a hub dynamo is less than €40/wheel ... i'm just curious where the market for stolen wheels would exist?

https://www.amazon.de/Fahrrad-Laufrad...rds=fahrradrad
Old 11-05-13, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

Have you been to the netherlands, why would you a bicycle wheel from any of these bikes?

Can the "bolted on" wheels of Dutch bikes be removed in 10-20 seconds the way they can in the US? If not, what's the difference? Different type of bolt? Is it time consuming to remove the chain case? Do the Dutch lock their wheels? I know the rear wheels often have a built in lock which is quite practical. Do they lock the front wheel to the frame?

The only reason I'm asking is because I'd like to purchase a bike and still have my wheels a month after purchasing the bike. And I find it a hassle to have to lock both the front wheel and rear wheel.
Old 11-05-13, 10:56 AM
Banned

Can the "bolted on" wheels of Dutch bikes be removed in 10-20 seconds the way they can in the US? If not, what's the difference? Different type of bolt? Is it time consuming to remove the chain case? Do the Dutch lock their wheels? I know the rear wheels often have a built in lock which is quite practical. Do they lock the front wheel to the frame?

The only reason I'm asking is because I'd like to purchase a bike and still have my wheels a month after purchasing the bike. And I find it a hassle to have to lock both the front wheel and rear wheel.
why don't you ask the direct question?

1. how do I lock my rear wheel?

https://www.amazon.com/Defender-RL-Bi...s=axa+defender

2. how do I lock my front wheel?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s%2Ck%3Au-lock

through wheel frame and post
Old 11-05-13, 10:58 AM
Banned

no, no one locks the front wheel and no, no one locks the bike to another object. bikes usually just stand around, especially in CPH (with the rear wheel ring lock that's welded to the frame in use).

people don't steal wheels in general because most people are decent human beings and the druggies don't care because there is no used wheel market as new wheels with dynamos are less than €50 installed (front).

Last edited by acidfast7; 11-05-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 11:03 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Personal experience: stripping visitors touring bikes is done in CPH..
Old 11-05-13, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Personal experience: stripping visitors touring bikes is done in CPH..
well, i have about 50 danish colleagues that leave €2000+ box bikes outside all year and don't have a problem. everyone with a pregnant wife, kid or dog has one.

the whole bikes may get stolen, but not strippage. the return on the parts is too low.

actually, i would wager it's more like to see a whole bike rack with bikes taken out of the ground and loaded into a truck than it is to have a bike stripped.

all bikes are fully insured and the insurance companies always pay full price (almost) so no one really cares.
Old 11-05-13, 11:25 AM
Banned

locked up my specialized Expeditipn to take a pee on the Loo across from Tivoli. in '91.

someone rode off as soon as I re appeared having removed the center bolts holding my brakes on.
so I had to go buy new bolts ..

good thing I Didnt stay longer than a quick whizz./.. you got your variation on truthieness,
I speak from personal experience.
Old 11-05-13, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fietsbob
locked up my specialized Expeditipn to take a pee on the Loo across from Tivoli. in '91.

someone rode off as soon as I re appeared having removed the center bolts holding my brakes on.
so I had to go buy new bolts ..

good thing I Didnt stay longer than a quick whizz./.. you got your variation on truthieness,
I speak from personal experience.
You stopped across from Tivoli to urinate?

That area has one of the highest densities of people in the whole city. Shoulda went out to Christiania and saw some nice bikes

To be fair, I do live in CPH currently between 10 and 18 days/month but in a nice area, so I do have a lot of experience. I lock my city bike in front of my flat in Gråbrødretorv and the only complaint I have is when the shopkeepers get pissed if I get up late on the weekend and the bike blocks their shop window
Old 11-07-13, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the other question is what does one do with a stolen wheel?

i mean a brand new wheel with a hub dynamo is less than €40/wheel ... i'm just curious where the market for stolen wheels would exist?

https://www.amazon.de/Fahrrad-Laufrad...rds=fahrradrad
I'm going to break down the differences between bikes in Denmark and bikes in the USA to explain why so many wheels get stolen in USA cities.

1. A new wheel, including a tire a tube, can easily run $125 from a bike shop in the USA. It appears that wheels in Denmark are much cheaper. This is the reason why thieves can sell stolen wheels for $50+. There is a big market for used wheels in the US.

2. In US cities people are so paranoid about theft, of entire bikes as wells as theft of wheels and seats, that they tend to bring their bikes indoors all the time. This paranoia is justified as many of these people have already had wheels stolen or vandalized. For most city residents this means carrying the bike up several stairs. People then try to find a bike as light as possible to facilitate carrying up stairs. Part of making a bike lightweight is having narrow tires. Generic, low-cost narrow tires get flats very easily, so people end up dishing out $50+ PER TIRE (not including the wheel) for high quality flat-resistant tires.

3. The welded on locks for rear wheels are a rarity in the US. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I haven't even seen a single bike shop that sells this as an add-on item.

4. Few people in the US have insurance on their bikes. Such policies are not common nor well-known. They also involve lots of paperwork, hassles and deductibles.

5. Bikes are manufactured to have easily removable wheels in the US. Many bikes sold in cities come with quick-release wheels (go figure!). Even the ones that have bolt-on wheels are highly prone to having the wheels stolen. The wheels can be removed in 10-20 seconds with a wrench.

I'd be very, very curious to hear input from someone who has lived in both Copenhagen and NYC (or another US city) to hear first-hand how they dealt with theft of wheels in the US.
Old 11-07-13, 11:03 AM
Banned

I'm going to break down the differences between bikes in Denmark and bikes in the USA to explain why so many wheels get stolen in USA cities.

1. A new wheel, including a tire a tube, can easily run $125 from a bike shop in the USA. It appears that wheels in Denmark are much cheaper. This is the reason why thieves can sell stolen wheels for $50+. There is a big market for used wheels in the US.

2. In US cities people are so paranoid about theft, of entire bikes as wells as theft of wheels and seats, that they tend to bring their bikes indoors all the time. This paranoia is justified as many of these people have already had wheels stolen or vandalized. For most city residents this means carrying the bike up several stairs. People then try to find a bike as light as possible to facilitate carrying up stairs. Part of making a bike lightweight is having narrow tires. Generic, low-cost narrow tires get flats very easily, so people end up dishing out $50+ PER TIRE (not including the wheel) for high quality flat-resistant tires.

3. The welded on locks for rear wheels are a rarity in the US. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I haven't even seen a single bike shop that sells this as an add-on item.

4. Few people in the US have insurance on their bikes. Such policies are not common nor well-known. They also involve lots of paperwork, hassles and deductibles.

5. Bikes are manufactured to have easily removable wheels in the US. Many bikes sold in cities come with quick-release wheels (go figure!). Even the ones that have bolt-on wheels are highly prone to having the wheels stolen. The wheels can be removed in 10-20 seconds with a wrench.

I'd be very, very curious to hear input from someone who has lived in both Copenhagen and NYC (or another US city) to hear first-hand how they dealt with theft of wheels in the US.
I'm not naïve and I understand the differences.

I was responding to your question about why Dutch wheels never get stolen.

I did, however, make the assumption that Amsterdam and Copenhagen are similar, which I think is valid.

No need to respond to me, I was simply answering your initial question and I remain unsure why you feel the need to justify wheel theft in the US. I lived there, in major cities, and understand the difference.

Last edited by acidfast7; 11-07-13 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal is to find a way for people to walk into any bike shop, here in the US, and walk out with a bike that is designed to withstand theft, including theft of components. Currently one must customize the heck out of a bike to make it suitable for making frequent trips in a city. Not only are the wheels and seat easily removable, but hardly any bikes come with basic things such as chain guards and fenders.

Many, many people have stopped biking because they know they can't leave a bike outdoors and they don't have a convenient place indoors to store the bike.
Old 11-07-13, 02:44 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts

Miinimum is usually a 3 spd IGH for Dutch market bikes... a rear wheel is worth around $250.00

Your classic Dutch roadster has a full chaincase, 3 speed connections, might have a roller or drum brake in the rear, and fenders... they just don't pop in and out. Front wheels are equipped with dynohubs which are a little pricier than your average wheel.

Bike theft is a serious issue in the Netherlands, many bikes come with relatively inexpensive rear ring locks to secure the rear wheel which also immobilizes it.
Old 11-07-13, 04:18 PM
Banned

My goal is to find a way for people to walk into any bike shop, here in the US, and walk out with a bike that is designed to withstand theft, including theft of components. Currently one must customize the heck out of a bike to make it suitable for making frequent trips in a city. Not only are the wheels and seat easily removable, but hardly any bikes come with basic things such as chain guards and fenders.
so You are going into the Bike Industry as a Business? Manufacturing?
one of them 'Job Creators'?
Old 11-07-13, 05:31 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Your classic Dutch roadster has a full chaincase, 3 speed connections, might have a roller or drum brake in the rear, and fenders... they just don't pop in and out.
Yep. Had a guy bring a Euro-bike to my clinic to get a new tire and chain installed. Took me about 20min and 3 tools to pull the rear wheel.

5. Bikes are manufactured to have easily removable wheels in the US. Many bikes sold in cities come with quick-release wheels (go figure!).
Go figure! See above.

U lock and cable will secure your frame and both wheels,and you can still pull your rear wheel in less than a minute to fix a flat.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-07-13, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Miinimum is usually a 3 spd IGH for Dutch market bikes... a rear wheel is worth around $250.00
You need to shop around:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/26-inch-whee...eed+rear+wheel

£59.95

I linked this one because it is in English ... cheaper wheels with a Nexus 3 are in German language.
Old 11-07-13, 06:55 PM
Banned

Many, many people have stopped biking because they know they can't leave a bike outdoors and they don't have a convenient place indoors to store the bike.
why didn't you just state your goal from the beginning rather than dropping why do Dutch wheels no get stolen?

??

this is a very circular conversation driver by your inability to articulate?