Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Research, Research, Research required to pick bike & accessories. Turns people off.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Research, Research, Research required to pick bike & accessories. Turns people off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 08:25 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Yes. The NICA was founded in 2009, the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) develops interscholastic mountain biking programs for student-athletes across the United States. And like the USHPA or the USCA for that matter..... pretty much fits the fringe definition.
You simply don't know what you're going on about. NICA programs are not fringe programs. These facts are based upon my kid's four years of HS racing. Many schools have 70+ kids on the teams. Larger teams than any sports short of football. Individual NICA leagues have more detailed information if you're willing to educate yourself.

Venues are becoming hard to come by because they can't accommodate all of the racers, parents, coaches, etc.

If it wasn't for W's work with mountain cycling and wounded veterans... cycling would be in even worse shape now.

Despite fudged (and hopeful numbers), and a fortune spend in cycling infrastructure.... cycling is in a downturn.
My bad for even trying to educate you. You're crazy misinformed, in a fringe kind of way.
Old 08-11-16, 08:28 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LaughingLots
... NICA programs are not fringe programs. These facts are based upon my kid's four years of HS racing....
This must be really influenced by your location.

Locally... we have a huge BMX park (city owned-operated) it was hugely popular for a few years. Now... it just takes up space. These things come and go. Glad your kids have had a great experience!!!! I hope the NICA continues to grow.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 08-11-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-11-16, 08:31 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
You wrote a letter, in 2000, and they wrote back? Sooo cool!

Very nice bike. Feckin' awesome.
They used to have a rep that posted here. I PMed him a couple times for info.
Old 08-11-16, 08:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This must be really influenced by your location.
Yes. I was fortunate enough to escape the Midwest many years ago.

My personal experience is based upon HS racing in California. There is also ample information available about other highly successful leagues across the country if someone is willing to educate themselves.
Old 08-11-16, 08:53 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Yes. I was fortunate enough to escape the Midwest many years ago.
Yes apparently the gates aren't well guarded. There was period in the 70's when population numbers in many Midwestern states fell dramatically. Some states have faired well since then... others not so much. These things happen. There are natural cycles to things.... some last longer than a lifetime.

My personal experience is based upon HS racing in California. There is also ample information available about other highly successful leagues across the country if someone is willing to educate themselves.
Actually... cycling programs have been around for some time. But never (never counts today as well) nationally. And unfortunately never in real numbers.

If you sing opera for a living.... in your life... it will seem as though the whole world adores opera. I don't need your education. I have a good understanding of the cycling sports. But I am also stuck with a perspective.
Old 08-11-16, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Wow this thread went downhill fast.

For the OP's original thing, yeah, I definitely have seen the same thing. There have been some improvements - a lot of the straight bar road bikes now come with mounts for racks and fenders, and a chain guard on the front set of gears. Straight bar bikes are a lot easier to fit compared to road bikes as well.

But even then, my mom just bought a bike (I feel obligated to mention I'm far out of college lol) and she has to go through do you want a rack? Water bottle cage? Which water bottle? Which rack? Which bag for the rack? Oh, you wanted a kickstand to. She didn't even need any lights.
Old 08-11-16, 09:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually... cycling programs have been around for some time. But never (never counts today as well) nationally. And unfortunately never in real numbers.
So yeah, you're wrong again and again. National HS programs exist as well as "real numbers' of participants (800 of the best at the CA State Championship race for example).

"I have thought for some years.... the best advocacy for cycling sports would be high school cycling programs."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
state.jpg (101.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-11-16, 09:47 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I bought a $15... 23 y/o road bike and started riding.
This says it...
What is the best bike...
Its the one you enjoy riding....
Every time I think of my old "Western Flyer" it makes me smile...

I always advise people to just get a bike that fairly fits and just take it out and ride. Then they can keep it for a back up when they go on to better quality. Most of us geezers that are into bikes have got that old favorite beater waiting over in the corner and ready to please. Our family favorite is a late 60's "Ted Williams" (Sears/Puch) Girls Bike. Every time my Boys get back into town they take it for a spin and come back smiling...
Old 08-12-16, 06:21 AM
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
They used to have a rep that posted here. I PMed him a couple times for info.
Aww. You roooooned it! I was thinkin' you got your Big Chief tablet and a fat kindergarten pencil and tossed off a nice epistle!
Old 08-12-16, 07:02 AM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
It's easy. Have a budget, know what kind of riding you want to do, go to bike shop, talk with salesperson, buy bike. A good shop will first ask you what kind of riding you want to do and what your budget it. A good shop won't try and sell someone who just wants to ride around their neighborhood a carbon road bike or full suspension mountain bike.
The problem with this very common captain obvious solution is that many people don't want to spend the kind of $$$ a bike shop wants for bikes. So, sure a bike shop is great if you want a new bike and don't mind spending the prices they bring. If you're more budget oriented and want a much higher end bike for a lot less money buying used, you're still pretty much on your own to figure things out. I suppose if you happen to have a bike shop that also has a good used selection then that opens up more possibilities. Some of us don't even have a local bike shop.
Old 08-12-16, 07:52 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
You simply don't know what you're going on about. NICA programs are not fringe programs. These facts are based upon my kid's four years of HS racing. Many schools have 70+ kids on the teams. Larger teams than any sports short of football. Individual NICA leagues have more detailed information if you're willing to educate yourself.

Venues are becoming hard to come by because they can't accommodate all of the racers, parents, coaches, etc.

My bad for even trying to educate you. You're crazy misinformed, in a fringe kind of way.
I graduated in 2004. My high school was a public school in an affluent area. We had an equestrian team, golf, the occasional skeet shooting team, ice hockey, and quite a few higher end sports, but no cycling. No high schools around us had cycling. Looking at MHSAA's site now, I don't see cycling. I see an organization that markets themselves to high school aged kids, but only has 9 affiliated members, half of which are LBS teams and all of which are in the Detroit area.

Maybe they are common where you are, but that certainly does not mean they are commonplace everywhere.
Old 08-12-16, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
The problem with this very common captain obvious solution is that many people don't want to spend the kind of $$$ a bike shop wants for bikes. So, sure a bike shop is great if you want a new bike and don't mind spending the prices they bring. If you're more budget oriented and want a much higher end bike for a lot less money buying used, you're still pretty much on your own to figure things out. I suppose if you happen to have a bike shop that also has a good used selection then that opens up more possibilities. Some of us don't even have a local bike shop.
I blame that on the bike industry and their marketing and messaging.

It is twofold. We think of bikes as toys. Toys for kids. Or toys for middle aged men who want to show off to their friends.

The bike industry hasn't articulated why or how the average Joe or Jane should bike. What you get by spending more other than bragging rights or saving 30 seconds on a one hour ride.

The messaging doesn't resonate with the average person who doesn't see a place for themselves in cycling if they don't care about mountain biking, racing or triathlons.

Biking also hasn't sold to people with more disposable income who don't race. Where's the soul cycle bike. Where's the yoga bike. Where's the Lululemon bike?
Old 08-12-16, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Thousands upon thousands are out there enjoying their $99 Walmart bike every bit as much as everyone here is enjoying their $500-10,000 bike shop bike.

The same is always said about kayaks. You won't enjoy it unless you are in a racy long fiberglass or composite kayak. Yet, every time I'm out on the water, there are hundreds out there with me in a $189 10 foot Pelican from Dick's enjoying it every bit as much as I am.

I enjoy photography. I take pictures that are 100 times better with my $200 camera than thousands of people using $2000 equipment.

I'm not very good, but I get just as much enjoyment noodling around and playing what few songs I know on my $200 Cort guitar as others do with their $3000 Fenders.
Old 08-12-16, 10:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
The people who are going to agonize about every single bit on a bike can certainly afford to go to a shop. Maybe they don't *want* to, but actual deals on the used market are far and few between...unless you can work on a bike yourself. By the time you find a "deal" and then pay a mechanic to go over it, tune it up and take care of any other problems it has, you may as well have bought from the shop and gotten warranties and shop support and often times a discount on accessories and possibly a rewards point program to get more money off future purchases.

For instance, the shop I worked at sold Schwinn (the upper level not at department stores), SE, etc, which were all above department store prices and would break even if one were to buy from X Mart and bring a bike in to have it assembled properly, make sure that things are greased, and everything is in proper working order. Not only was the quality slightly better, at least they were all assembled by trained mechanics. They would work just fine as transportation or riding around the neighborhood or beach.

A good shop will sell budget oriented bikes and used bikes they get as trade ins. Those on a tight budget tend to know how much they can spend, go on Craigslist and find one that matches their budget without doing all of this research (research research research research)

Personally, I enjoy the research into the brand, digging through vintage catalogs, etc. It's fun for me. I do my own wrenching and have enough spare parts to get a bike running, and if you have the knowledge to work on bikes, chances are you might also enjoy doing all of this (oftentimes unnecessary) research

Last edited by bmthom.gis; 08-12-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 11:08 AM

So yeah, you're wrong again and again. National HS programs exist as well as "real numbers' of participants (800 of the best at the CA State Championship race for example).
OK... you win! All that can be done for cycling sports (according to you) has been done! So... in YOUR opinion what can be done... to turn people on to cycling sports?!?!?

What will/could or might help to take some of the mystery out of bicycle fit, use, and such for the general NON-cycling public?

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 08-12-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 11:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
Where's the soul cycle bike?
How 'bout Soul People on Bikes? And one guy who likes to listen to Soul Music while cycling!
Attached Images
Eartha Kitt 1952 NYC.jpg (43.8 KB, 86 views)
NBA Stars on Bikes.jpg (46.0 KB, 86 views)
motown_tops2.jpg (35.1 KB, 87 views)
obama_bike.jpg (49.1 KB, 87 views)
CoolBike.jpg (99.9 KB, 85 views)
muhammad-ali-bicycle.jpg (87.5 KB, 86 views)
SoulMusic on bike.jpg (99.2 KB, 86 views)
BikeBoy.jpg (58.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 08-12-16, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jade408
I blame that on the bike industry and their marketing and messaging.

It is twofold. We think of bikes as toys. Toys for kids. Or toys for middle aged men who want to show off to their friends.

The bike industry hasn't articulated why or how the average Joe or Jane should bike. What you get by spending more other than bragging rights or saving 30 seconds on a one hour ride.
You're right! Right in the way that if a sports team fails to win... it's the coaches fault. Although... in reality maybe the scouting guys didn't bring in the needed talent. Or maybe a star player... developed a drug problem.

Marketing was doing a bang-up job and cycling popularity was soaring.... until Americas world famous cycling star was defamed due to sports drugging (cheating). [bicycle] Marketing departments exploited those Yellow Jerseys for more money... than the guy who won them. Those were the days!

I think stepping back and away from the Tour de France.... might have been a good idea for cycling marketers. At lease for a period of time. And just where/who do they hitch their advertising wagon to now? Who ISN'T doing drugs? I wonder.... any great Mormon cyclists coming out of Utah?

There was a time when catchy tunes sold even big ticket purchases. But consumers have become very sophisticated.
Old 08-12-16, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think you can really lay the blame on poor cycling infrastructure, urban sprawl, and the preference of many to live out in the suburbs. Those who live in cities (or small towns) have the advantage over those who live close to the city and no good way to get into it by bike. That easily drives cycling as a sport vs cycling as transportation. As people move back into cities and bike advocacy takes off, I think we will see more transportation oriented cycling be advertised. The fixie craze needs to die down a bit still (plenty of cheap, generic fixies with bullhorn or straight handlebars are available out there).
Old 08-12-16, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
You're right! Right in the way that if a sports team fails to win... it's the coaches fault. Although... in reality maybe the scouting guys didn't bring in the needed talent. Or maybe a star player... developed a drug problem.

Marketing was doing a bang-up job and cycling popularity was soaring.... until Americas world famous cycling star was defamed due to sports drugging (cheating). [bicycle] Marketing departments exploited those Yellow Jerseys for more money... than the guy who won them. Those were the days!

I think stepping back and away from the Tour de France.... might have been a good idea for cycling marketers. At lease for a period of time. And just where/who do they hitch their advertising wagon to now? Who ISN'T doing drugs? I wonder.... any great Mormon cyclists coming out of Utah?

There was a time when catchy tunes sold even big ticket purchases. But consumers have become very sophisticated.
Nope it is on them. They hitched their wheel to one type of target customer, one market segment. And when it exploded they did too. Apple used to only sell desktop computers. Then they released laptops and their laptops were more popular than the desktops. Then they decided to make OS agnostic music players. Boom! Whole new market. Mac vs PC didn't even matter. And they made phones. And suddenly those people who liked phones and music players said maybe I should check out these computers. Suddenly people have multiple i-devices and upgrade pretty often.

The biking industry was like "yay racing, we don't need to talk to anyone else. Everyone wants to be a racer." Then suddenly no one want to be a racer. And they didn't diversify the messaging to talk to non-racers and became less relevant.
Old 08-12-16, 01:14 PM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry but I tend to disagree with about all of this.
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
The people who are going to agonize about every single bit on a bike can certainly afford to go to a shop. These have absolutely nothing to do with each other. We aren't just talking about agonizing over details, we're talking about a newbie simply not knowing how to even measure themselves or really basic stuff like that Maybe they don't *want* to, but actual deals on the used market are far and few between...unless you can work on a bike yourself. There are TONS of deals on the used market. Some are perfectly ready to ride. And plenty of people who may not be familiar with bikes still have the desire to learn to work on them too By the time you find a "deal" and then pay a mechanic to go over it, tune it up and take care of any other problems it has, you may as well have bought from the shop and gotten warranties and shop support and often times a discount on accessories and possibly a rewards point program to get more money off future purchases. A used bike may not even need this, but like I did you can certainly learn to do it yourself. My first bike was $80 '88 LeTour and has never seen a mechanic, and I knew nothing of bikes when I bought it. Of course with anything used there is always a chance you might have to put money into it, but certainly not always the case.

For instance, the shop I worked at sold Schwinn (the upper level not at department stores), SE, etc, which were all above department store prices and would break even if one were to buy from X Mart and bring a bike in to have it assembled properly, make sure that things are greased, and everything is in proper working order. Not only was the quality slightly better, at least they were all assembled by trained mechanics. They would work just fine as transportation or riding around the neighborhood or beach. I'm not really following your point here, but I'd take an older 80's bike or so, with quality components, over a new bike of the same cost about any day. Of course that is just IMHO.

A good shop will sell budget oriented bikes and used bikes they get as trade ins. Those on a tight budget tend to know how much they can spend, go on Craigslist and find one that matches their budget without doing all of this research (research research research research) Your making a lot of assumptions here again, for one that there is a good shop that does this around. And plenty of folks that shop on craigslist are still going to do research. To think a newbie would not do any research sounds silly, though perhaps some are that way.

Personally, I enjoy the research into the brand, digging through vintage catalogs, etc. It's fun for me. I do my own wrenching and have enough spare parts to get a bike running, and if you have the knowledge to work on bikes, chances are you might also enjoy doing all of this (oftentimes unnecessary) research Yes I exactly agree on all these points. Which is one reason I recommend folks to do their research, and learn to wrench on things. I find it very fun. I hate to recommend anyone get a inexpensive new bike unless they are the kind of people who simply will not learn, research, etc. But some people just do not care about such things.
Old 08-12-16, 04:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Maybe they are common where you are, but that certainly does not mean they are commonplace everywhere.
I never claimed that they were commonplace, merely that they were not "fringe."
Old 08-12-16, 04:12 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All that can be done for cycling sports (according to you) has been done!
I didn't post that nor do I believe that.

That's just a strawman that you created. Sad.
Old 08-12-16, 04:20 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I never claimed that they were commonplace, merely that they were not "fringe."
I suppose it is all perspective. Most would probably consider high school ice hockey to be fringe, here it is ubiquitous.
Old 08-12-16, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Thousands upon thousands are out there enjoying their $99 Walmart bike every bit as much as everyone here is enjoying their $500-10,000 bike shop bike.

The same is always said about kayaks. You won't enjoy it unless you are in a racy long fiberglass or composite kayak. Yet, every time I'm out on the water, there are hundreds out there with me in a $189 10 foot Pelican from Dick's enjoying it every bit as much as I am.

I enjoy photography. I take pictures that are 100 times better with my $200 camera than thousands of people using $2000 equipment.

I'm not very good, but I get just as much enjoyment noodling around and playing what few songs I know on my $200 Cort guitar as others do with their $3000 Fenders.
I enjoy photography and started out with a $200 Canon Elph Point and Shoot. I had a ton of fun with it and took some great shots but upgrading to a dslr system (which has now become a mirrorless system) really let me take advantage of wider lenses, true shallow DOF, faster focusing, true macro shooting, shooting 5+FPS, and many more things. I caught images with my setup that would have been impossible with my $200 camera. The gear doesn't make you a better photographer but there is a certain level of gear that will enable you to do more things if you learn it well and have some talent.
Old 08-12-16, 04:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrodgers
How did you determine that?

p.s. "It's what I imagine!" doesn't count as a factual answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.