Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Lemond Road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Lemond Road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
The offset valve stem is defenitely not pleasing to the eye. The rest is hot though. It would be nice to have a tire option with a matching blue streak on the blue version.
Old 03-10-22, 10:51 AM

Maybe the more important question is will you have to ride it completely kitted out with the Lemond Team kit. Buying the bike would make you part of Team Lemond, so that should make it acceptable.
Old 03-10-22, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,008 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The offset valve stem is defenitely not pleasing to the eye.
If they're going to offset it, why not have it so that it's an extension of the L? That'd be pretty sweet.

I'm sure that it's because they wanted the visual of the valve at the bottom but wanted an angle for the name going down to the bottom. Only way to get both was to offset it. Hopefully, that was just done by an art director for the pictures, but who knows?
Old 03-10-22, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Noted earlier, but maybe not obvious - those images are renderings, not photos of an actual bike. There are no actual bikes yet, apparently. At least no one has seen photos of an actual bike if one exists.

I personally would not be willing to plunk down $12,500 upfront to secure a bike that is supposedly shipping in a few months based on renders, but I'm also not in the market for a $12,500 bike. To be frank - I probably wouldn't do this for a $5000 bike either.

It will be interesting to see how soon a production (or even a pre-production) version is released.
Old 03-10-22, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4645 Post(s)
Liked 5,180 Times in 3,201 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What does "do it some justice" mean? If bike fits you and fits your needs, that's all the justice that needs be done, IMO. Do strong riders not get recovery rides? "Hey Bob - where's the LeMond?" "Recovery ride - can't; this old Emonda is my <2.5w/kg bike."

That's silly, IMO.

Sure, but the scenarios don't include those in which any other road bike, of a similar purpose, would be appropriate. Rolling up to a C group ride on it? Sure - why not?
You just made that scenario up. Not me.

I'm just saying if you are not racing competitively at whatever level then what's the point of a £12k full-on race weapon? This is my personal criterion too, so it doesn't apply to anyone else. I realise some people do buy £10k+ race bikes and then just do Sunday cake rides on them. There's no law against it, but I wouldn't PERSONALLY feel comfortable in that scenario. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-10-22 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-22, 02:45 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You just made that scenario up. Not me.
Okay then, so answer the question: what is "doing it justice" and why is it needed for this bike vs other, less expensive bikes built for the same purpose? Does one need to present a recent, validated FTP test result and step on a calibrated scale? Once certified, is the owner obligated to ride it only if they're above a certain intensity threshold or are they allowed to noodle occasionally?

​​​​​
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-22, 03:37 PM

This is really the only thing that matters:

Old 03-10-22, 03:41 PM

I'm just saying if you are not racing competitively at whatever level then what's the point of a £12k full-on race weapon?
Because they want to and can afford it.

There's no law against it, but I wouldn't PERSONALLY feel comfortable in that scenario. That's all I'm saying.
Cool, but other people don't have your insecurities or hang-ups, so stop projecting.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-22, 03:57 PM

Because they want to and can afford it.

Cool, but other people don't have your insecurities or hang-ups, so stop projecting.
The only thing I've projected is my personal take on why I probably wouldn't buy one. Yeah it's true I may have a hang-up about possibly looking like a bit of a dick in public. But most people do if they're being honest.

Look it appears to be a really nice bike, but it is IMHO a bit of a bold statement, especially if you go the full hog with all the Lemond club gear etc. If I was a massive Lemond fanboy maybe I could buy into it. But otherwise it's the sort of bike I would prefer to just admire as a spectator.
Old 03-10-22, 05:52 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Also, this is interesting:
​​​​​​https://road.cc/content/tech-news/le...ke-290819Along with the bike, you get membership of Team LeMond.

“As a Team LeMond member, you will have exclusive access to annual private rides with Greg and his team, in Europe and the USA, free entry into cycling events, and early access to new products that LeMond is developing, even helping us to evaluate and test new products,” says LeMond.

“In addition, Team LeMond members will receive annual cycling kits, including jerseys, shorts, and socks, and quarterly ‘Town Hall’ talks with Greg via Zoom.”

Team LeMond members are also entitled to 50% discount on all LeMond carbon fibre manufactured framesets, wheelsets, and new carbon fibre components that it plans to develop over the next 3-4 years.
If all that comes with it, I'm not sure $12,000 isn't sort of a bargain. I'd love to give up about 5 bikes and enjoy a penultimate "ride" carrying the name of a really good guy, a great cyclist, and someone whose name I'd be glad to have on my downtube, as if I was worthy.
Old 03-10-22, 06:18 PM

The only thing I've projected is my personal take on why I probably wouldn't buy one.
Oh?

It's a very cool bike for sure, but I think you would need a 400w+ FTP to avoid looking like a bit of a tool on it.
My take is that if you are going to ride a £12k race bike then you really need to have the engine to match it to avoid the "all the gear but no idea" label.
I thought that analogy might come up. But to my mind people do often look like a plonka in all those situations too. You can add skis to that list too.
I'd give it a go too, but I do generally follow the rule that bike technology should really match your ability.
You sure you're not looking at other people and judging them with your own insecurity?

Yeah it's true I may have a hang-up about possibly looking like a bit of a dick in public. But most people do if they're being honest.
By showing up on a $12k as opposed to a $3k bike? Nah. No hang-ups about that, whatsoever. I'm strong enough of a rider to know that I should be humble, regardless, and I know that a bike is just bike.
Old 03-10-22, 06:56 PM
-------

Quoted: 9688 Post(s)
Liked 6,423 Times in 3,521 Posts
Okay then, so answer the question: what is "doing it justice" and why is it needed for this bike vs other, less expensive bikes built for the same purpose? Does one need to present a recent, validated FTP test result and step on a calibrated scale? Once certified, is the owner obligated to ride it only if they're above a certain intensity threshold or are they allowed to noodle occasionally?

​​​​​
I had to forge mine to get my cheap Domane. Guess I’m out.
Old 03-10-22, 06:59 PM
-------

Originally Posted by himespau
If they're going to offset it, why not have it so that it's an extension of the L? That'd be pretty sweet.

I'm sure that it's because they wanted the visual of the valve at the bottom but wanted an angle for the name going down to the bottom. Only way to get both was to offset it. Hopefully, that was just done by an art director for the pictures, but who knows?
I’m a touch and feel guy, but when I touch and feel I can sure make some impulsive purchases.
Old 03-11-22, 05:02 AM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
I truly don’t get the comments over and over here about expensive bike stuff. this thread, the wheel thread- it really just comes across as sour grapes that you can’t afford a 12k bike and as such nobody with an FTP under 5w/kg should have one.

The bike looks cool. If I wanted to spend 12k on a bike, I’d consider it.
Old 03-11-22, 05:03 AM
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I’m a touch and feel guy, but when I touch and feel I can sure make some impulsive purchases.
I hear that
Old 03-11-22, 05:13 AM

After reading some of the comments, I don't think they priced it right. They need to add another 10k to the price if they really want to be successful.
Old 03-11-22, 06:04 AM

Oh?

You sure you're not looking at other people and judging them with your own insecurity?

By showing up on a $12k as opposed to a $3k bike? Nah. No hang-ups about that, whatsoever. I'm strong enough of a rider to know that I should be humble, regardless, and I know that a bike is just bike.
I, My, I , I'd are all personal opinions. Just because I stated that I might feel a bit self-conscious riding an exclusive £12k race rig doesn't require you to get all flustered about it. If you are cool with the idea yourself, why would you worry what I think? Anyway there is no shortage of MAMILs who would queue up in line for a nice £12k bike like this.

https://www.dmarge.com/2018/12/middl...-cyclists.html

This line made me laugh:- "What we have a problem with is looking like a dickhead"
Classic Ozzy sense of humour.
Old 03-11-22, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I truly don’t get the comments over and over here about expensive bike stuff. this thread, the wheel thread- it really just comes across as sour grapes that you can’t afford a 12k bike and as such nobody with an FTP under 5w/kg should have one.

The bike looks cool. If I wanted to spend 12k on a bike, I’d consider it.
For me it's not about the cost. It's more about not looking like a dick.
Old 03-11-22, 06:56 AM
Fat n slow

For me it's not about the cost. It's more about not looking like a dick.

Right, but you’re projecting that you think people on 12k bikes that aren’t super fit / pro level look like dicks.

I know plenty of people with 10+k s-works and Pinarellos that I’m faster than, but I don’t think they look like dicks.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-11-22, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Right, but you’re projecting that you think people on 12k bikes that aren’t super fit / pro level look like dicks.

I know plenty of people with 10+k s-works and Pinarellos that I’m faster than, but I don’t think they look like dicks.
How else am I supposed to "project" my personal feeling on the subject? Yes I think fat MAMILs on £12k race bikes look like dicks. I only mentioned it because someone came out with the "lipstick on a pig comment" which I thought was spot on. I didn't say anything about having to be a pro though. My FTP comment was a bit tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken as a literal qualification as a few inevitably did.
Old 03-11-22, 07:54 AM
-------

I guess no fat men should be on bikes. If you look like a dick on one, you'll look like a dick on another.

Most people who think the MAMILs look stupid wouldn't know that Lemond from a Huffy. Except for the arrogant who believe certain people should not due certain things.

Time to sell my dive watch since I don't dive. And, I can't buy aviator sunglasses since I don't aviate. I didn't know things could make me look like a dick. 🤔
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-11-22, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I guess no fat men should be on bikes. If you look like a dick on one, you'll look like a dick on another.

Most people who think the MAMILs look stupid wouldn't know that Lemond from a Huffy. Except for the arrogant who believe certain people should not due certain things.

Time to sell my dive watch since I don't dive. And, I can't buy aviator sunglasses since I don't aviate. I didn't know things could make me look like a dick. 🤔
You were the one who suggested this bike would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Hang on a minute! You were also the one who suggested people should train more instead of buying £12k bikes. So are you trolling me now or what?
Old 03-11-22, 08:13 AM

If you are cool with the idea yourself, why would you worry what I think?
I'm not flustered and I'm not worried. To be frank, I'm just a bit disappointed. You seem like a smart, reasonable person otherwise, so to see this kind of shallow judgementalism and gatekeeping is surprising.
Old 03-11-22, 08:19 AM

I'm not flustered and I'm not worried. To be frank, I'm just a bit disappointed. You seem like a smart, reasonable person otherwise, so to see this kind of shallow judgementalism and gatekeeping is surprising.
Okay fair enough and I do have mutual respect for you too. Unfortunately I got drawn into this unintentionally. But whenever I do think about buying uber-exclusive £12k bikes (which I have done on more than one occasion) I use this simple line of thinking to talk myself out of it. It's kind of a reality check. I am not Greg Lemond. I do not need a £12k road race bike. I might look like a bit of a dick on it. It works for me every time, lol.
Old 03-11-22, 08:45 AM
-------

You were the one who suggested this bike would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Hang on a minute! You were also the one who suggested people should train more instead of buying £12k bikes. So are you trolling me now or what?
Well, my comment about putting lipstick on a pig did not say that I would look like a dick if I rode that bike. It merely meant that I could never use a bike like that to its potential. Hell, I can't even use the bikes I have to their potential, but I think they look good and don't think I look like a dick when riding them even with my old man pooch.

As for the comment about training more, that was a sarcastic post taking a shot at another poster in the "I want nice wheels" thread.

I'll bet that if you asked Greg Lemond who should buy this bike, he would tell you "everyone who can afford it." He's out to sell as many as he can, not sell to a select few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.