Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New year, new employer, new bike-storage options

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New year, new employer, new bike-storage options

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 04:08 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
So much, um, hearsay here. And a lot of good old fashioned exaggeration. You do realize that just because you think something is the right way, that doesn't mean that it's objectively the right way, right?

You posted a picture of your bike some time ago, and I can honestly say that I would never want to ride a bike that was in the condition that yours was in. You may consider it a "tool," but I have tools that I take much better care of than your bike.

Also, I'm fairly certain you are part of a very small minority of people that would find a bicycle neatly hanging on an office wall to be "unprofessional."

Regarding shoes, which is even further off topic, you do realize that in some cultures people resent being asked to remove their shoes in another person's home, and even consider it to be gauche? Now, this doesn't make them right or wrong, just different. There is no global "correct way" here.
If you're 20 and wanna be a hipster, you're correct. If you're 30+ and wanna be professional give me a ring.

My bike has been satire from day one. One could argue that it's outdated satire, which I would agree with, but it's satire nonetheless.
Old 01-09-19, 04:15 PM
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
If you're 20 and wanna be a hipster, you're correct. If you're 30+ and wanna be professional give me a ring.
Translation from the King's to US English - "DAMN KIDS, GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Old 01-09-19, 05:07 PM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

My bike has been satire from day one. One could argue that it's outdated satire, which I would agree with, but it's satire nonetheless.
You just can't leave it alone, can you? Suffice to say, you are wrong. Simply wrong. You work at a university. I've worked in more private sector offices, in more locations, than you could dream of. You have no clue, and yet you keep spouting nonsense. These boards are civil and constructive, and yet you are consistently the sole exception that clearly has some personal issues that prevent you from participating appropriately.
Old 01-09-19, 06:49 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 2,622 Posts
... you are consistently the sole exception that clearly has some personal issues that prevent you from participating appropriately.
Well, there's a couple others I could name...
Old 01-09-19, 07:15 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I keep my bike in a spare bedroom that my cats had access to and with their 40x better sense of smell weren't very interested in it. At least until I rode it on the magnetic trainer and it started making noise. They weren't interested in how it smelt even if I ran over some of the inevitable goose poop on the way home.
I do keep my bike in my main treatment room at work, and I've never had a patient complain about it. Or even mention it in a negative way. When I point to it and tell them that's how I prefer to get my exercise it gives me credibility when I tell them they should find something they should do for exercise.
Old 01-09-19, 10:24 PM
Banned

You just can't leave it alone, can you? Suffice to say, you are wrong. Simply wrong. You work at a university. I've worked in more private sector offices, in more locations, than you could dream of. You have no clue, and yet you keep spouting nonsense. These boards are civil and constructive, and yet you are consistently the sole exception that clearly has some personal issues that prevent you from participating appropriately.
Old 01-10-19, 02:06 AM
Banned

I think we've reached an impasse, henceforth, I shall bow out of this confabulation. Toodle loo!
Old 01-10-19, 10:17 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 2,622 Posts
NO, what kind of idiot are you? It's TOODLE-OO
Old 01-10-19, 11:50 AM

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I do keep my bike in my main treatment room at work, and I've never had a patient complain about it. Or even mention it in a negative way. When I point to it and tell them that's how I prefer to get my exercise it gives me credibility when I tell them they should find something they should do for exercise.
Interesting. Surely this must mean that you, and all of your patients, are unprofessional, 20-something hipsters, right?

Seriously though, good for you for using the bike to encourage them to exercise.
Old 01-10-19, 02:52 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,074 Posts
Interesting. Surely this must mean that you, and all of your patients, are unprofessional, 20-something hipsters, right?
Could be he fixes his patients' broken noses. See video for technique.