Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I might point out that I sometimes have to take direct action to avoid an accident in my car. Which doesn't mean I've ever had an auto accident - I haven't - but it's because I drive and ride like I'm piloting, with constant concentration on my surroundings and on my exact position, etc. Stuff happens. OTOH, I've never had a MUP accident either. Statistically there are more bike accidents per mile on MUPS, but fewer fatalities than on the road. I always try to remember that one injury can spoil my whole season, and I don't have that many left.
Yep, neither has I, although I see them about once a week. Which is why I take it easy on them, for example here's a typical day's commute through the burke near the UW campus, pretty much a landmine field of mixed bikeshares, clueless bike commuters, aggro Cat 6 racers and triathletes, students, homeless, skateboarders and rollerskaters. Pretty much have to come to a trackstand multiple times in this 1 mile part. Not a big deal if you accept that it is the way its going to be. The trail is wide enough for 3 bikes/pedestrians wide, and almost every day I get passed waiting for a safe place to pass whereas others tend to squeeze into gaps that I'm just not willing to risk my actual racing season for.
Old 07-20-18, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by igosolo
"On your left" means very different things to different people. Try it with a big group of pedestrians on the MUP. Some go diving to the right, some left, some freeze like a deer in headlights and others are oblivious you said anything at all, Might as well shout "grenade" as you get the same effect. I avoid the MUP and rarely ride it on the weekends. On the rare ride where I do, it means slow down and enjoy the scenery more that day. And when I pass, if I have a wide berth, I don't say a word as it is safer for everyone in my opinion. If I have to say something, I am totally ready to come to a dead stop.
This.

One time I saw a girl freeze right in the middle of the trail and scream "I don't know what to do!"
Old 07-20-18, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have decades of urban and suburban commuting experience …. most of it in cities judged to be the most deadly for cyclists, much of it before there were bike lanes.

Close calls are often the cyclist not riding sufficiently defensively. When you say do you mean that if you rode into the path of a car it might hit you? Do you mean a car trying to sneak through a light? Did the driver see you?

Most drivers do Not want to hit cyclists … they are just clueless and inattentive. I find that slowing down, using hand signals, covering and uncovering my headlight (so ti flashes) or waggling the light all help. I also, from years of experience, know where not to go.
Some of us don't really have a choice, there's not always a good route. You can do alot to anticipate the actions of drivers, but sometimes they just do things that can't be accounted for consistently. You can ride like you're invisible but inevitably there's nothing to be done in certain circumstances if they truely don't see you.

“Right of Way” is a neat concept … which has nothing to do with surviving on the road.

If you have survived commuting for 10,000 miles and have so many close calls, I’d say … well I won’t tell you a thing. In your case, my advice to myself was to be more defensive. Now I rarely have issues …. Drivers don’t always act right, but they rarely surprise me.

As CF-boy notes: it is possible we notice stuff more on a bike because we feel more vulnerable … or maybe we don’t yield “right-of-way” because we “deserve” it … but cars always win that fight.

I find that the only times I have “disagreements” with cars is when I take the lane and they get impatient, and go into oncoming traffic to pass me, or when I insist on right of way even when I see they plan to go … and I only do that when I am ready to bail out and have escape routes.
See … older and wiser than I.
Sure, yielding the right of way because the car wins is a given for any cyclist that wants to survive for any substantial amount of time on the road, but yielding your right of way results in a lot of close calls, and taking the lane puts you in the crosshairs of a lot of angry drivers, at least that seems to be the case here. There's not much to be done when you are simply riding in a legal lane of traffic and a driver doesn't want you there. Continuing to try to assert your right of way is even more stupid which I see quite a bit around here, most of the time its simply not worth it.
The deal is this: Nowhere is safe, unless you actually live where there are bike-only paths … and even then you could meet someone salmoning, or people coming around a corner three-wide …. There is some local trails, and whether or not they are “bikes-only/” a blind corner is a blind corner. I need to slow down.

I find—as do you—that riding on roads is a safe and reasonable activity. After all, ten thousand miles of commuting … it isn’t like you don’t know how to manage.

If your main complaint is that there are idiots everywhere … yeah, true. Go find a solution to That and you deserve ten Nobel Prizes.

Mainly I try not to add to the number of active idiots … but as you can tell form some of my posts, my success rate is nothing to brag about.
My main point that I was disagreeing with CF about is that its not really safe, mostly we just like to convince ourselves it is. I spend all my time commuting actively on the lookout, same when driving, but when any potential car/bike interaction could result in a hospital visit there is some danger involved. I also like to ride fast and am probably more more willing to take risks than the average cyclist and am pretty comfortable with contact from racing. I've just accepted the fact that I'm probably more likely to die on my bike or climbing or splitboarding than of old age which I'm ok with.
Old 07-20-18, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Yep, neither has I, although I see them about once a week. Which is why I take it easy on them, for example here's a typical day's commute through the burke near the UW campus, pretty much a landmine field of mixed bikeshares, clueless bike commuters, aggro Cat 6 racers and triathletes, students, homeless, skateboarders and rollerskaters. Pretty much have to come to a trackstand multiple times in this 1 mile part. Not a big deal if you accept that it is the way its going to be. The trail is wide enough for 3 bikes/pedestrians wide, and almost every day I get passed waiting for a safe place to pass whereas others tend to squeeze into gaps that I'm just not willing to risk my actual racing season for.
Yeah, this. Sometimes the person I'm waiting to pass gets a little weirded out by having someone behind them when everyone else is zipping by. If it's someone who looks like they can't control their bike very well, I want some leeway when I go by.
Old 07-21-18, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why do you think there's a place where you can just ride with reckless abandon? You basically can't do that anywhere in a car, either. You shouldn't do that anywhere while walking. Yes, you have to be alert and ride at a speed appropriate for conditions wherever you ride.

However, it's perfectly safe to ride on the right roads, for the most part. Sidewalks suck. The MUP is another sidewalk, only it doesn't go along a street. You can ride there, but it's not a suitable training ground.

The only places you can really just go crazy are velodromes, veloways, and racetracks (when you can get on one).
Only if you are the only one on the Velodrome. There are tons of rules about where to ride, how to pass, even how to get on the velodrome.
Old 07-21-18, 12:52 AM

I had just bought my dream rain bike. It was Domane with DI2, fenders, those ISO Pro carbon bars and climbing switches on the bars. I was finishing up big ride where it had been raining off and on. I was thinking, “ I really like this bike”. 10 minutes later while riding in a cross walk, kid pulled a left hand turn into me and totaled the bike. Now the bike was painted fluo yellow, I was wearing a fluo yellow helmet and rain vest. I additionally had lights on. The cop took a look at me and my bike and turned to the kid asked him how is it he couldn’t see me 😂😂
Old 07-21-18, 01:27 AM
Idiot Pro Tempore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
A walker once tried to clothesline me as I passed her on the Burke right around Matthews Beach. Her arm wasn't long enough, but I wondered if she ever hit anyone else.
Old 07-21-18, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by colnago62
I had just bought my dream rain bike. It was Domane with DI2, fenders, those ISO Pro carbon bars and climbing switches on the bars. I was finishing up big ride where it had been raining off and on. I was thinking, “ I really like this bike”. 10 minutes later while riding in a cross walk, kid pulled a left hand turn into me and totaled the bike. Now the bike was painted fluo yellow, I was wearing a fluo yellow helmet and rain vest. I additionally had lights on. The cop took a look at me and my bike and turned to the kid asked him how is it he couldn’t see me 😂😂
Oh, man. I hope insurance or something will replace it. Was the kid a cell phone zombie?
Old 07-21-18, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Oh, man. I hope insurance or something will replace it. Was the kid a cell phone zombie?
Yes, the new bike should be here in a few weeks. You guessed it, cell phone. Right before impact, I looked right at him and his eyes were looking down. He was driving a brand new Lexus. I believe that impact detection braking system saved my life.
Old 07-21-18, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Okay, this is becoming tiresome ladies and gentleman. First, its not safe on the roads because yield to vehicles. Then its not safe of the sidewalks because yield to pedestrian. Now we have the MUP and again, its not safe because slow down for pedestrian...again.

Is there ever a place or occasion where a cyclist can cycle where it is safe? No dogs, cats, kids, family picnics, flea market, Sunday go to meetin' time, etc.? Is it ever the cyclist turn?

Aren't we law abiding tax payers too? So why are we always relocated to the second-class citizen status? Does anybody ever yield for us?
Velodrome.

The other option is ride at night. I run into maybe 3 or 4 other cyclists on a 15 mile ride after sunset.

I have had rides where I see ZERO pedestrians or cyclists for an entire 30 mile ride.

Deer, rabbits and other critters on the other hand, plenty of them.

Last edited by rgconner; 07-21-18 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-21-18, 02:07 PM

I am really beginning to think that a gravel bike is in my future. There is a lot of National Forest land that has miles of logging roads. That might be the ticket for me.
Old 07-23-18, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The problem with all the "are MUPS dangerous" topics is that MUPs vary greatly in terms of traffic, size, and division between pedestrians and bikers.

Some mups are heavily trafficked, only about sidewalk width, and mix both kinds of riders. On these it's often not safe to ride your bike faster than a fast jog.
Other mups split up pedestrian and bike traffic into separate lanes, are as wide or wider than a street, and/or have few people on them. You can bike pretty much full speed on them.

Also it's not like road riding is without stops and caution. I don't fly through intersection without regard to traffic signals or traffic you know? I agree that MUPS need a different kind of cautiousness in their riding but most of the ones around me are both faster (fewer stops because of intersecting roads) and safer (I'd rather take a tumble off the bike than be hit by a 2 ton automobile). But...I've seen pics of mups in other places that look horrifically crowded and my attitude would be completely different. Like most MUPS in minneapolis are either split into separate pedestrian/biking lanes, or are low traffic enough that pedestrians are only infrequently a concern.

Biking on a trail like this at a safe speed is going to mean biking at an average speed of "fast jog". If you're trying to do faster speeds get the heck off the trail and onto the road:

On the other hand if your trails looks like this when you ride it's pretty awesome:

Other trails are designed to keep pedestrians and bikers separate:

Our lake trails are physically divided between bike and pedestrian traffic, and the bike side is one-way:

The Cedar Lake Trail that goes to downtown actually has 3 separate lanes seperated by greenery, one for pedestrians, one for eastbound bikes, and one for westbound bikes:

I love the Minnesota bike trails! There still are people who have no clue and walk in the bike lanes though
Old 07-23-18, 10:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePatton
I love the Minnesota bike trails! There still are people who have no clue and walk in the bike lanes though
Yep, that's what I mean. Some feel compelled to walk in the BL even where there is more than sufficient pedestrian space. Sometimes its hard to tell if they do it to intentionally be annoying, or really are just that thick.

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-25-18 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 03:27 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I'll see your "MUPs are dangerous" and raise you the Golden Gate Bridge. That's a doozy. A crapton of riders of literally every skill level, from racer boys in a paceline going as fast as cars, to Strava heroes trying to break the KOM, to tourist riders who have seemingly never ridden a bike, barely moving, and not looking where they are going, weaving all over the place riding 3 and 4 abreast...Throw in blind curves around the bridge supports, roped off areas blocking off half the lane, and peds stumbling around (who aren't supposed to be on the bike side), and it's one of the most chaotic places to be on a bike. It's actually a helluva adrenaline rush, I'll go ride it when I'm looking for some excitement.
Old 07-25-18, 12:54 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11104 Post(s)
Liked 7,711 Times in 4,293 Posts
Some trails are busy, some arent.

if it's busy, ride under 12mph. If its quiet, ride faster.
Pretty easy to grasp.

there are hundreds of miles of paved trails around me with some busy sections, but mostly quiet to ride as fast as you want.

cyclists shouldnt think they can ride as fast as they want.
walkers shpuldbt think they can walk however they want(oblivious/dog all over trail/in the middle/etc).

both groups can easily make life better for all involved parties.
Old 07-25-18, 12:55 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I never realized cycling had a "season".
of course it does, and you have realized it many times before when bemoaning typical winter topic posts.
Old 07-25-18, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
of course it does, and you have realized it many times before when bemoaning typical winter topic posts.
cycling season lasts 365 days. You might need to use a fat bike, but it’s always cycling season.
Old 07-25-18, 01:25 PM
Sunshine

cycling season lasts 365 days. You might need to use a fat bike, but it’s always cycling season.
deliberately obtuse. Fun times.

this is a road bike forum. Suggesting a fat bike to ride kinda shows there is a riding season.

in Arizona, it's opposite of Iowa's riding season. What?!?! No way could that be a verbally correct statement!
Old 07-25-18, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
deliberately obtuse. Fun times.

this is a road bike forum. Suggesting a fat bike to ride kinda shows there is a riding season.

in Arizona, it's opposite of Iowa's riding season. What?!?! No way could that be a verbally correct statement!
IIRC, the OP didn’t say “road cycling season “.
Old 07-25-18, 01:37 PM

A lot of people aren't so die hard about it. Anyone who doesn't have a season for cycling (rides year round) knows well enough how to pick their own routes that they don't need advice from me about MUPs.
Old 07-25-18, 01:56 PM

A lot of people aren't so die hard about it. Anyone who doesn't have a season for cycling (rides year round) knows well enough how to pick their own routes that they don't need advice from me about MUPs.
SF, it’s actually a nice PSA thread about cycling on MUPs, and I’m glad you posted it.

Funny thing about the timing is, Summer is the safest time to ride the MUPs(in this area). At this time of year, very few people use them during the daylight hours. Yesterday it was 115F(in the shade), and the pavement was 188F. My Garmin said it was 126F @ 3ft above the pavement.

Very few people will take their dog out for a walk in those conditions.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-25-18 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 03:25 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 1,943 Posts
The answer is Ben-Hur hubs.
Old 07-25-18, 03:30 PM

SF, it’s actually a nice PSA thread about cycling on MUPs, and I’m glad you posted it.

Funny thing about the timing is, Summer is the safest time to ride the MUPs(in this area). At this time of year, very few people use them during the daylight hours. Yesterday it was 115F(in the shade), and the pavement was 188F. My Garmin said it was 126F @ 3ft above the pavement.

Very few people will take their dog out for a walk in those conditions.

I think that would kill me.
Old 07-25-18, 04:38 PM

I think that would kill me.
It would kill most people, but if you live here a few years, you get used to it.

It's really hot, but it's better than being cold.
Old 07-25-18, 05:26 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It's really hot, but it's better than being cold.
Preach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.