Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for an adult bicycle with 24 inches wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for an adult bicycle with 24 inches wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 09:26 AM

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Even smaller if OP wants to try 20" wheels

very true. An excellent choice (I own two) but $$$$. In North-America we don’t have much choice (if any) with affordable non folding 20 and 24 inch wheel bikes. I’ve contacted dealers in Europe and they are not inclined to ship them. Bike manufacturers are not really interested in this market. It’s the same with automobiles. Multiple choices with larger size but very limited for a smaller hatchback.🤔

Last edited by jfouellette; 06-17-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 09:38 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13042 Post(s)
Liked 7,970 Times in 4,241 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
very true. An excellent choice (I own two) but $$$$. In North-America we don’t have much choice (if any) with affordable non folding 20 and 24 inch wheel bikes..
MiniVelos enjoyed some popularity in the US about 10-12 years ago.

Soma had a pretty nice one (although not super cheap, reasonably price and a nice bike). https://somafab.blogspot.com/2011/02...s-arrived.html

BikesDirect had them also, at bargain-basement prices. Oh wow, I went to the site and there's a page for a 2023 Mercier Nano, but you can't buy one now. Curious if they sold out, or haven't been shipped in from China yet.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm
Old 06-30-23, 09:42 AM
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
There are a few old Cannondale mountain bikes that use 24 inch wheels on the rear wheel on full sized bikes. Unfortunately for you, they have 26 inch front wheels. They are a bit uncommon, but the one or two I've seen on CL were really cheap because of the wheel size and roller cam brakes. I have also seen an early 80's Specialized Stumpjumper with 24 inch wheels, but it was a very small frame.

I agree that a Neutrino or a Bike Friday is a pretty solid option, even if the wheel size is a little smaller. If you can find a used Bike Friday, the prices are much more affordable.
Old 07-01-23, 05:26 PM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 486 Posts
When our family all got bikes when i was a kid, we got three 26" wheel Raleigh three-speeds, and for my little brother, a 24" wheel Raleigh three-speed. So I googled '24" wheel Raleigh', and looking at the images, it appears that they've made many 24" wheel models over the years, with mountain, road, and hybrid/upright/comfort styles. Bikes from other manufacturers appeared as well, of course. Most did not seem to be obvious kiddie bikes.

I suggest looking for a 24" wheel Raleigh, or other make, without worrying about the labels 'kid', 'child', or 'youth' that they may be associated with.