Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you touring on your tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Are you touring on your tandem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 10:35 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MB1
We enjoy tandem touring. Here is our fully loaded rig about half way through our ride from Frankfurt to Budapest.

It is amazing how much stuff a credit card will fit.
Geez, that is great. I was looking with dismay on all these loaded down rigs, and thinking that surely it can be done with just a small pannier (after all, my moniker Ritterview came from the Backpacking Light forum). And then I saw the picture of your tandem, and I was so relieved.

What is your packlist?
Old 07-15-09, 07:17 AM
pel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob Yak and 40Kg

Toured through Europe with a Bob Yak carrying about 30kg and a further 10kg in two rear panniers and rear carrier.

We shed about 5 kg along the way and would have dropped more. Weight is critical on long tours 6,500km plus.
Old 07-21-09, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heck yah tour on a tandem! if you can't afford to credit card travel and don't want an "anchor" go with full size panniers front and rear. We just finished a cross country tour on two tandems, I had our 8 year old and my wife had the 11 year old. Camping and hoteling when it got really cold or for birthdays etc. no luck loading picks but check it out at crazyguyonabike and type "randomroots" into the search, plenty of photos in the journal. We both had a tent, sleeping bags, thermarests, food and clothing, I also had a stove, cook kit, big pots! and a laptop, along with plenty of tubes tools and a spare tire. have fun!
rob
Old 07-22-09, 09:04 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Here we are, carrying too much stuff on our first self-supported 3 day tour. To be fair though, we vacationed for a week at our destination.

Bike is a Pino, just like Sula's! They can hold six panniers (four lowrider, two rear) and are quite the touring machines. Being able to read the map, make a sandwich or feed the captain coffee from the front seat is most excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1562.JPG (69.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg
100_1581.JPG (77.4 KB, 45 views)