Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cross wind question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cross wind question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-09, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronal
What you've said may be true, but that's besides the point. I'm sure I've ridden at 18mph in both 15 and 20mph crosswinds, even if measured at ground level. In fact, I've ridden in much higher winds. Granted, I am slower in heaver crosswinds, but then the apparent wind angle only increases and emphasizes my point. I was merely demonstrating that it is not rare and definitely not unrealistic to have apparent wind angles of >30 degrees.
You might be interested in this https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwit...24mph_P2474619 and the interview with Josh Poertner referenced there https://nyvelocity.com/content/equipm...-josh-poertner
Old 12-27-09, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You might be interested in this https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwit...24mph_P2474619 and the interview with Josh Poertner referenced there https://nyvelocity.com/content/equipm...-josh-poertner
Good reads. Quote from the article (from a ZIPP engineer no less): "It's very rare that you're going to have a most likely wind angle of 20 or higher, 'cause that means your peak wind angle is going to be 40 or more, and to get there you either have to be going really slow, or have really ridiculous wind speeds, at which point most people are going to opt for shallow wheels."

I would say that the rarity of the situation is not as extreme as he is allowed to claim in an interview, but there it is.
Old 12-27-09, 07:21 PM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
maybe you just don't go fast enough.
Old 12-27-09, 07:27 PM

I would say that the rarity of the situation is not as extreme as he is allowed to claim in an interview, but there it is.
Have you ever met or talked to Josh? Having had many exchanges with him, I believe him to be as honorable as any researcher I've ever met. For implying that he would distort the science to suit the marketing, I believe an apology is in order.
Old 12-27-09, 07:29 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
I am going to simplify the math somewhat, but basically: If you do a vector force analysis you will discover that the side force that the rider is feeling has to be countered in some manner or the rider is going to be knocked over. That is done by the rider and bike leaning into the wind. The force is now balanced in such a manner that it is transferred to the ground. In effect, you and the bike get heavier.

It might seem counter-intuitive at first glance. Now, how much force and how much effect is questionable and nearly impossible to calculate, but I would guess it is pretty small in the big scheme of things.
No, that is not what is happening. Without the presence of a crosswind, a rider stays balanced by keeping their weight centered over the wheels. As keeping this centered point forever is impossible, bikes have steering to correct the position of the bike under the rider keeping them upright. Now, when you add in a side force (crosswind), the cyclist has to compensate for this. If you were able to determine the exact force applied to the rider by the crosswind, you could easily determine what angle the cyclist would need to lean into the wind at to stay balanced (you'd need to know the rider's center of gravity too). Leaning simply applies a counter-torque to the torque applied to the rider by the force of the wind. The system pivots about the tire contact point. The rider leans about their center of gravity. The wind applies a force to the rider centered on the bike/rider's centroid which is affected (both the force and centroid) by things like deep section wheels, aero frames, or panniers.

In my experience dealing 30+ mph crosswinds, the force can be very significant as noticed during gusts where a sudden change in wind direction can mean moving a few feet laterally on the road. It's quite normal to find the relatively heavy trash bins blown all over the street during the high wind days which demonstrates the amount of force the wind can apply to an object with a decent cross section.
Old 12-27-09, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever met or talked to Josh? Having had many exchanges with him, I believe him to be as honorable as any researcher I've ever met. For implying that he would distort the science to suit the marketing, I believe an apology is in order.
This thread is becoming silly. I'm sure that Zipp guy is great, but it doesn't change the fact that heavy crosswinds are not rare, depending on where you live. Who cares if I ride slow and average 16 mph during the winter? Doesn't change the fact that occasionally the 20mph winds here do create a high apparent wind angle. This entire argument is tangential to the original argument about whether or not deep rims reduce "work" in heavy crosswinds anyways.
Old 12-27-09, 08:06 PM

This thread is becoming silly. I'm sure that Zipp guy is great, but it doesn't change the fact that heavy crosswinds are not rare, depending on where you live. Who cares if I ride slow and average 16 mph during the winter? Doesn't change the fact that occasionally the 20mph winds here do create a high apparent wind angle. This entire argument is tangential to the original argument about whether or not deep rims reduce "work" in heavy crosswinds anyways.
Nor does any of this change the fact that you impugned the honesty of someone you don't know. I guess in a couple of days we'll get the clarification of what you really meant.

In the meantime, as I said above, we have lengthy explanations by the leaders in the field of cycling aerodynamics explaining what yaw angles are reasonable, and then we have you saying in effect "I refuse to believe it."
Old 12-27-09, 08:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nor does any of this change the fact that you impugned the honesty of someone you don't know. I guess in a couple of days we'll get the clarification of what you really meant.

In the meantime, as I said above, we have lengthy explanations by the leaders in the field of cycling aerodynamics explaining what yaw angles are reasonable, and then we have you saying in effect "I refuse to believe it."
A few less personal attacks and a few more facts would greatly help your argument. Misquoting "leaders of the field" isn't going to make your argument more solid. As far as I can tell, none of these experts (even the guy at ZIPP) is denying that a shallow rim is preferable in heavy crosswinds. And certainly it's not the case that angles of >30 never happen. On almost every ride I've been on in the last month, there have been sections with gusts above 30 mph. If I were riding perpendicular to the wind in these situations, the apparent angle would be >30 degrees.

Like I said before, I'm not talking about 90% of riding conditions. ZIPP wheels are manufactured for efficiency in 90% of riding conditions. We are talking about heavy crosswinds. It almost sounds like you are denying that heavy crosswinds exist. Pretending that "leaders of the field" agree with you doesn't make it so.
Old 12-27-09, 08:22 PM

On almost every ride I've been on in the last month, there have been sections with gusts above 30 mph.
One simple question: How would you know?

(and now you're misusing efficiency.)
Old 12-27-09, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One simple question: How would you know?

(and now you're misusing efficiency.)
Weather reports, mostly. But you can also feel heavy gusts. If we take your point that wind speed on the ground is slower than 5 meters above the ground into consideration, I suppose 20 mph is more realistic. Anyways, the point still stands. Keyword here is "gusts".

I was using the layman's definition of efficiency. You get the point.
Places near where I live: https://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KMACAMBR9
https://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KMAMEDFO7
Old 12-27-09, 08:42 PM

Weather reports, mostly. But you can also feel heavy gusts. If we take your point that wind speed on the ground is slower than 5 meters above the ground into consideration, I suppose 20 mph is more realistic. Anyways, the point still stands. Keyword here is "gusts".
Keyword here is "suppose."
Old 12-27-09, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calculations based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_gradient

It's reasonable to estimate that at 1 meter the wind speed is 70-90% of the wind at 3 meters off the ground. But even if it was 50%, the angle is still >30 degrees with 30mph gusts.

I can see that this conversation has basically run its course.
Old 12-27-09, 09:24 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a room you two.
Old 12-27-09, 09:53 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Very direct yes-or-no question for you: do you believe wind speed on the ground ever hits 20mph?

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 12-27-09 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-27-09, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Very direct yes-or-no question for you: do you believe wind speed on the ground ever hits 20mph?
No.

Do you?

Do you believe in viscous flow?

Was this a serious question?
Old 12-27-09, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.

Do you?

Do you believe in viscous flow?

Was this a serious question?
Assuming a 40mph gust (measured at 10m off the ground), the wind at .5 meters about 20mph (if there aren't too many buildings or trees in the way).
Old 12-27-09, 10:27 PM

Assuming a 40mph gust (measured at 10m off the ground), the wind at .5 meters about 20mph (if there aren't too many buildings or trees in the way).
That's nice but why didn't you answer the question? Do you believe wind speed at the ground ever hits 20 mph; yes or no?
Old 12-27-09, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's nice but why didn't you answer the question? Do you believe wind speed at the ground ever hits 20 mph; yes or no?
Yes. On the ground isn't referring to 1cm above the ground- it usually means .5m to 1.5m from the ground.

Furthermore, "the ground", as Bah Humbug is probably talking about, refers to the anywhere that you can reasonably cycle. I'm pretty sure that if you ride up an exposed mountain pass or along the coast, winds can get pretty high on "the ground".
Old 12-27-09, 10:39 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. On the ground isn't referring to 1cm above the ground- it usually means .5m to 1.5m from the ground.

Furthermore, "the ground", as Bah Humbug is probably talking about, refers to the anywhere that you can reasonably cycle. I'm pretty sure that if you ride up an exposed mountain pass or along the coast, winds can get pretty high on "the ground".
on the ground definately does not mean 1.5 meters above it.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 12-27-09, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
on the ground definately does not mean 1.5 meters above it.
We're talking about cycling here, not insect life. Defining "on the ground" as lower than .5m is pointless. 1.5 seemed reasonable to me, but .5-1m is the height most people care about.
Old 12-27-09, 10:42 PM

I'm not a mind reader. To me "on the ground" means "on the ground," 0 elevation. To someone studying non-continuum flows, 0.1 micron is way off the ground. To an astrophysicist, 10,000 m might well be considered on the ground. There's a really good word for distances slightly away from something else, it's called near. For example, "Do you believe the wind speed ever reaches 20 mph near the ground?" Though in the context of this discussion, it would be better to ask "Do you believe the wind speed ever reaches 20 mph 0.5-1 m above the ground?" None of those was the questions asked.
Old 12-27-09, 10:45 PM

We're talking about cycling here, not insect life. Defining "on the ground" as lower than .5m is pointless. 1.5 seemed reasonable to me, but .5-1m is the height most people care about.
Why do you think it's pointless? All viscous flow is based on the hypothesis of what happens "on the ground" To understand precisely what someone believes is the operating physics on the ground is crucial for understanding everything about their analysis of viscous flow. In other words, it's impossible to understand what happens at 1 m, if you don't understand how "on the ground" is treated.
Old 12-27-09, 10:46 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I understand your question. Unfortunately you can not assume everyone will know what you mean. Like asgelle said, on the ground means something totally different to different people studying different things. If you want to know if a cyclist ever experiences 20mph winds at their respective height, that is a different question.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 12-27-09, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a mind reader. To me "on the ground" means "on the ground," 0 elevation. To someone studying non-continuum flows, 0.1 micron is way off the ground. To an astrophysicist, 10,000 m might well be considered on the ground. There's a really good word for distances slightly away from something else, it's called near. For example, "Do you believe the wind speed ever reaches 20 mph near the ground?" Though in the context of this discussion, it would be better to ask "Do you believe the wind speed ever reaches 20 mph 0.5-1 m above the ground?" None of those was the questions asked.
Once again, it seems like we aren't talking about the same thing.

I was talking about how wind speed affects wheel performance. Wheels are on average about .4m off the ground. Cyclists are on average 1-2 m from the ground.

If this were a engineering forum, I would have used more specific language. It was a mistake on my part to assume that you could gather from context that "on the ground" was not meant in the most literal sense of the phrase.
Old 12-27-09, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think, as someone stated earlier, we aren't actually disagreeing on anything besides definitions. Let's lay this thread to rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.