Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic Cranks Advice for 3-speed with Chaincase Please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic Cranks Advice for 3-speed with Chaincase Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 05:05 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7412 Post(s)
Liked 2,612 Times in 1,523 Posts
It's possible that you'd install a chainring and it rubs on the chainstay. But you can watch out for that while you put the crank on.

I don't think you can ruin the bottom bracket. At least, I can't think of how you could.

Tom

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-17-10, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Veloria
Oh right, taunt me with your beautiful BSA cranks and sexy chainguard. Very nice!
Not mine. Just some of my stalker photography of other people's bikes that I see around town.
Old 11-17-10, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
or I suppose if you switched to massively longer crank arms and got tons of pedal strike but thats a pretty outlandish suggestion.
185 mm!!!!!
Old 11-17-10, 05:23 PM
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
or I suppose if you switched to massively longer crank arms and got tons of pedal strike but thats a pretty outlandish suggestion.
: )))
Old 11-17-10, 06:44 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3620 Post(s)
Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Bring the bike with you next time you're in Northeastern Wisconsin and I'd be glad to help set it up for you. Surely you'll be here for a Packer game sometime soon, right?
Old 11-17-10, 06:51 PM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Packers? Ack!

Anyway, it looks as though these might be riveted (too bad), but check these:

https://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...ank-crank_road

It's the cottered look, with the cotterless ease...although they're steel.

Here's an alloy that's bolted on:
https://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepart...ank-crank_road

Remove the big ring and you'd be set.
Old 11-17-10, 08:39 PM
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
John, I had to look up what a "Packer game" was - does that answer your question : )
(Yes, I live in my own world! Don't get out much.)

Let me calculate how long it will take to cycle to Wisconsin (on that 3-speed) and I'll get back to you!
Old 11-17-10, 08:47 PM
Semi-wrap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think my mechanical abilities are up to understanding how to convert them to single ring cranksets without destroying my bike, and the resident mechanic's new work schedule is such that his helping days are over for now.
Having looked more closely at your chaincase, it's pretty obvious that you'd need a swaged-arm type. The alloy arm with integral spider has a lot of material at the arm-spider transition, and I doubt you'd find one with clearance through the chaincase hole, even if it were a single-ring type, and the chainline worked out great.

Cranks, BBs, chainline and frame clearance are one of the more complicated bike equipment issues to begin with, and adding the chaincase to that simply increases the number of variables and constraints. It's fine if you are working with a resourceful shop who will do trial-and-error with various components to make things work (without charging you for any of them except the successful solution) -- but doing this without making a hobby out of it, will probably be more frustration than you want, especially if your mechanic has better things to do.
Old 11-17-10, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

The pedals are CatEye and are pretty good (as in effective), so I am afraid to mess with what feels good. But if I replace them, I am thinking MKS rubber block pedals. This is a 3-speed city bike, so I want to ride it in all of my normal shoes and metal pedals can be slippery in the rain.
I don't doubt the CatEye pedals are good, rather that they do the aesthetics of your bike as much a disservice as the crank (more so in my opinion). The MKS rubber block pedals look very nice. I've used MKS Lambda pedals with Tioga spikes and the MKS Sylvan with half clips on city bikes; both work well with nearly any shoe and look good enough.

Originally Posted by archashwell
Cranks, BBs, chainline and frame clearance are one of the more complicated bike equipment issues to begin with, and adding the chaincase to that simply increases the number of variables and constraints. It's fine if you are working with a resourceful shop who will do trial-and-error with various components to make things work (without charging you for any of them except the successful solution) -- but doing this without making a hobby out of it, will probably be more frustration than you want, especially if your mechanic has better things to do.
+1
I suspect changing the pedals and dustcap before changing the crankset will make you feel differently about the looks of this bike.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 11-17-10 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 12:00 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Re this and other advice for cranksets that are doubles to begin with - I don't think my mechanical abilities are up to understanding how to convert them to single ring cranksets without destroying my bike, and the resident mechanic's new work schedule is such that his helping days are over for now. So I'd love to give it a try, but I'll need to read your post 3 more times just to understand it first : )
Oh, this is easy. I would send you two crank arms, that look very approximately like this: By "very approximately" I mean you get two arms (that don't look like the above), one of which is attached to the five-legged spider (also different), to which you need to attach the ring you want.

I don't have a 42T ring for you; so you need to buy one, such as these:

You also need to buy a set of five little bolts that connect them. They look like this, just without that spacer ring. To connect them you need a 5 mm allen wrench.

That brings us the question of spacing. With the correct BB spindle, you should be able to get the right side crank arm to fit inside your chaincase without rubbing anything. What the correct spindle will be, I don't know; but we can figure that out if you want. All clear (so far)?
Old 11-19-10, 12:29 PM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I was just about to recommend a vintage Sugino maxy, the five point version. I think those can be purchased for a small amount of money. I think they are pretty nice looking.

Like this:
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-19-10, 12:31 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 585 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
^Yup, the one I'm offering looks more or less like that. Same overall proportions and dimensions, but different styling.