Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride in the drops on a century? Century Angst Ramble

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you ride in the drops on a century? Century Angst Ramble

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 11:36 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 99 Posts
A group ride over this distance will be far easier if you can run with the group's pace... big difference between a group ride and a solo ride of this distance.

My solo pace on my touring bikes can be as good as 30kmh over 100 miles and sometimes even better but running with a good group can push the speed up into the high 30's and low 40's depending on the group dynamic.

Position on the touring bikes is set for comfort and usually get off the bike feeling pretty great.
Old 08-07-11, 11:48 AM
Blissketeer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman22
I noticed that I'm a bit more likely to look straight down when in the drops--it takes more effort to keep my head up. This could be bad if I lose concentration after a few hours. Any suggestions?
So, not really making any assumptions but are you sure your fit is right? A lot of peeps I hear make similar comments are suffering from a poorly sized stem. Considering all factors like age, flexibility, riding style, etc, etc the choice of stem length and rise can make a world of difference. A lot of LBSs setup bikes for a fairly standard "road fit" when fitting a customer. That fit doesn't do much for the average, older, pleasure rider. If you are having trouble with discomfort in the drops including neck pain and "keeping head up" that often indicates to me that the rider could use a shorter stem with a greater rise. It allows a flatter back (ie more comfort and strength in stroke), more comfort, and less neck bend to keep eyes focused down road while in drops. Anyhoo, just a consideration.

BTW, you can get a new stem w/ shims included so you can play/adjust w/in a range of -/+ including adjusting for ride type like regular training v/s century....
Old 08-07-11, 04:10 PM
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by mudman22
It was incredible. Great tired feeling in my legs right now. Something I earned

I'm looking for more centuries to sign up for--as long as they don't overlap with Utah football!
Congrats on the completion of your first century! They're all easy from here on out.

For local and regional century rides, go to Cycling Utah for a list of pretty much everything in the area. Good luck!