Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

That time has come.....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

That time has come.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 11:42 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
For spray you need a can of Alaska grade, bear-b-gone, pepper spray. If it will turn a hungry brown bear it will do the trick on dogs. It comes in 8 ounce cans.
Old 05-04-13, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
For spray you need a can of Alaska grade, bear-b-gone, pepper spray. If it will turn a hungry brown bear it will do the trick on dogs. It comes in 8 ounce cans.
The only problem here with spray, is that the OP has a pack of seven dogs nipping at his heels. One or two dogs can be quite manageable, but SEVEN!....I don't think so!

Good Luck with the Spray, OP!
Old 05-04-13, 04:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
The only problem here with spray, is that the OP has a pack of seven dogs nipping at his heels. One or two dogs can be quite manageable, but SEVEN!....I don't think so!

Good Luck with the Spray, OP!
Thanks, im on duty at the firehouse now, i'll be commuting home in the morning. So will see how it works. On my route home I have to fight the hill in front of is house, so im definately using the spray. Hopefully I can spray all 7 of them. Well, actually, im gonna spary 6, theres one thats a older dog, he just runs after me because all the others are running. He's slow, so im not gonna get him. But the 3 most aggresive ones are getting it rite dead in the face and the others will get some also, hopefully. Its alot of dogs to spray with such a little device. Im gonna take a picture of the spray he bought me and post it in a second.
Old 05-04-13, 04:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the pepper spray he bought me. I have to spray all those dogs with that little cartridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pepper Spray.jpg (19.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-04-13, 09:24 PM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Was just commenting on if one has to use a deterrent spray on 7 dogs a finger sized can of people mace is not what you want. Bear spray usually has a more range and more "ammo". Also it is designed to turn animals that want to snack on you. My preferred choice would be a 165 grain .308, a coyote call, and enough range to give me lots of time to get all 7.
Old 05-04-13, 10:08 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Was just commenting on if one has to use a deterrent spray on 7 dogs a finger sized can of people mace is not what you want. Bear spray usually has a more range and more "ammo". Also it is designed to turn animals that want to snack on you. My preferred choice would be a 165 grain .308, a coyote call, and enough range to give me lots of time to get all 7.
So are you suggesting that the OP bear spray 'em after they're shot...
Old 05-04-13, 10:10 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deeth82
Pepper spray/bear spray as you're passing by. They'll remember you, even if it takes doing it twice, and they'll leave you alone...negative reinforcement. I love animals and wouldn't condone killing them just for being themselves, but obviously the rube owner isn't doing his part...or the rube owners are letting all their dogs roam in packs. So just have your pepper spray/bear spray ready when you're coming up on that location. Firing a gun can result in all sorts of unexpected outcomes. (CWP holder here)
+1
Old 05-05-13, 09:41 AM
I don't get out enough

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how did it go?
Old 05-05-13, 09:59 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polishmadman
So how did it go?
I don't think he'll know til tomorrow evening....
Old 05-05-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: A few

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If the guy said they are not his dogs and they are just random strays that no one will take responsibility for, I don't see how someone could be blamed or encounter trouble for defending his or her self from what could be a very dangerous attack. If the guy (who doesn't own the dogs) stopped by the police station and told them he witnessed it and didn't realize it was that bad, then they know it is bad. I also wonder why someone who doesn't own the dogs stopped by the police station about this. I would actually expect law enforcement to take some action to get wild strays that are endangering people off the streets.
Old 05-05-13, 06:47 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Personally, I think that the guy saying they are not his dogs is a lie.
If they aren't his dogs, then why would he bother to buy pepper spray?
Why would he care what happens to them?
Why hasn't he called Animal Control already?
Too many unanswered questions...
Old 05-05-13, 10:16 PM
Über Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BEAR spray is what you need, not pepper spray. I keep it on hand when riding or walking my dogs near my house because we have mountain lions here. It's got about a 20-25' range and gives you a LOT of spray to work with. Get it at any gun shop, and when the dogs start their pursuit, stop and be ready to hose them down.

Puling a gun, IMHO, will cause FAR more problems than it solves.
Old 05-06-13, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polishmadman
So how did it go?
I made it home yesterday morning without a problem. I could see the dogs in his pasture. They never saw me so I was able to sneak by. Thank God, because the ride home fighting them would have been bad, climbing the hill. I will be commuting to work in the morning. I will be ready for them.
Old 05-06-13, 07:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
Personally, I think that the guy saying they are not his dogs is a lie.
If they aren't his dogs, then why would he bother to buy pepper spray?
Why would he care what happens to them?
Why hasn't he called Animal Control already?
Too many unanswered questions...
He is definitely lying. They have collars on them, they live at his house and he feeds them. He's just saying that so he don't have to take responsibility about anything.

We don't have animal control in this rural area. Only inside the city we do.
Old 05-06-13, 07:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciufalon
If the guy said they are not his dogs and they are just random strays that no one will take responsibility for, I don't see how someone could be blamed or encounter trouble for defending his or her self from what could be a very dangerous attack. If the guy (who doesn't own the dogs) stopped by the police station and told them he witnessed it and didn't realize it was that bad, then they know it is bad. I also wonder why someone who doesn't own the dogs stopped by the police station about this. I would actually expect law enforcement to take some action to get wild strays that are endangering people off the streets.
Law enforcement already told me that I have the rite to shoot if I'm being chased and they are snapping at my ankles, which they are. As long as I can do so safely, which I can. But my God people, I'm trying to act like a civilized human being and try to work with this guy on resolving this issue. But it looks like I'm gonna have to do this the hard way.
Old 05-06-13, 07:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be nice if he would leave them locked up in the pasture with the gate closed. But he doesn't, the gate stays open 24/7. The law over here is that your animals have to be chained up are locked behind a fence. So he's definitely breaking the law.
Old 05-06-13, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since the law is being broke, why not try to video the dogs using a phone or camera?
Old 05-06-13, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV, Masi Volumetrica 3VC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One thing I didn't see mentioned was that if you do shoot the dogs with a weapon, the police will confiscate it for the duration of the investigation. It's not uncommon for nicer weapons to "get lost" while in police impound. You mentioned that you own a Glock pistol. If it were me, I'd go buy a cheaper gun to use on the dogs, as you may never see it again. While you're at it, .40 is overkill (pardon the pun) for dogs, and will be difficult to use single handed (lots of recoil) with any accuracy from a moving bicycle. A cheap .380 ought to do nicely. Just don't get a revolver. Not enough capacity to get the whole pack, lol. Good luck.
Old 05-06-13, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shahmatt
Since the law is being broke, why not try to video the dogs using a phone or camera?
Why? If I call the sheriffs office he's just gonna say there not his. And we don't have animal control here. So what's a video gonna do?
Old 05-06-13, 08:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_tool_man
One thing I didn't see mentioned was that if you do shoot the dogs with a weapon, the police will confiscate it for the duration of the investigation. It's not uncommon for nicer weapons to "get lost" while in police impound. You mentioned that you own a Glock pistol. If it were me, I'd go buy a cheaper gun to use on the dogs, as you may never see it again. While you're at it, .40 is overkill (pardon the pun) for dogs, and will be difficult to use single handed (lots of recoil) with any accuracy from a moving bicycle. A cheap .380 ought to do nicely. Just don't get a revolver. Not enough capacity to get the whole pack, lol. Good luck.
I already got the run down on how it will go.
1) they won't take the weapon.
2) they'll just have to make a report.
3) I'm actually a very skilled shooter. Shooting one handed from a bike with a .40 caliber pistol is nothing. I've been shooting firearms for a long time. I almost made it on the show called TopShot on the history channel. I was so dang close to.
Old 05-06-13, 08:14 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is all nonsense! Obviously shooting the dogs will cause problems with the owner. You have to pass the owners house practically every day. Revenge will take place in some form or another, because the opportunity will always be there, as long as you keep passing this guys house. You could quite easily be sniped with absolutely no witnesses at all. Some people feel as though their dogs are really their family members, you know.

Therefore, don't shoot the dogs! However, there are more ways to skin a cat. Just feed 'em vitamin enriched hamburger!

Every 3 weeks you can just do the math:

7-2=5

5-3=2...Eventually you'll cycle in peace.

Last edited by Cfiber; 05-06-13 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
This is all nonsense! Obviously shooting the dogs will cause problems with the owner. You have to pass the owners house practically every day. Revenge will take place in some form or another, because the opportunity will always be there, as long as you keep passing this guys house. You could quite easily be sniped with absolutely no witnesses at all. Some people feel as though their dogs are really their family members, you know.

Therefore, don't shoot the dogs! However, there are more ways to skin a cat. Just feed 'em vitamin enriched hamburger!

Every 3 weeks you can just do the math:

7-2=5

5-3=2...Eventually you'll cycle in peace.
Lol. Several people have told me to do that. But If his dogs start showing up dead he's gonna know.
Old 05-06-13, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow morning I'm gonna use the spray. If that doesn't work I'm gonna give the guy a friendly call and just let him know that im gonna start carrying my weapon and I've spoken to law enforcement and they advised me that I have the rite to shoot if I'm being attacked. If they leave his property, which they do, he can't do anything about it. If he gets mad and wants revenge, well ill go to war with him. I'm done, I tried to be a good guy but not anymore.
Old 05-06-13, 08:41 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
Lol. Several people have told me to do that. But If his dogs start showing up dead he's gonna know.
Nope! He won't know, because I'm sure you're not the only person his dogs have ever pissed off.

He can only "suspect". He might strongly suspect, but that's it!
Old 05-06-13, 08:43 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
Tomorrow morning I'm gonna use the spray. If that doesn't work I'm gonna give the guy a friendly call and just let him know that im gonna start carrying my weapon and I've spoken to law enforcement and they advised me that I have the rite to shoot if I'm being attacked. If they leave his property, which they do, he can't do anything about it. If he gets mad and wants revenge, well ill go to war with him. I'm done, I tried to be a good guy but not anymore.
Then what happens, if the guy says, "Well you'd better not shoot my dogs, you S.O.B!"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.