Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 11:49 AM

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL:

Doped Bikes
Old 06-15-16, 01:22 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MAKE SURE YOU WIN

If you have trained so hard for the season, why make the risk that you will not win?

HEALTH

This system is much safer than regular program of AICAR or EPO.

WHAT DO I DO IF THE MOTOR IS DISCOVERED?

You won't be discovered. We know you will have no problems. However if you are discovered do not dislose the remote control. This way you can deny knowldge and explain it is a borrowed bike.
Old 06-15-16, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
I saw that on another site. With so much investment going into batteries and electric motors, those motors are only going to get better; much better. It wouldn't surprise me if they come standard on some bikes 10 years from now.

I wouldn't mind having a motor like that for my commute to work. The safest way to share a lane with cars going over 50 is to go fast.
Old 06-15-16, 04:00 PM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
That "doped bike" is only 50W of assist. Typhoon apparently makes one with 250W of "assistance." Zoom zoom.

Typhoon Bicycles
Old 06-15-16, 04:03 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Old 06-15-16, 04:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I saw that on another site. With so much investment going into batteries and electric motors, those motors are only going to get better; much better. It wouldn't surprise me if they come standard on some bikes 10 years from now.

I wouldn't mind having a motor like that for my commute to work. The safest way to share a lane with cars going over 50 is to go fast.
I would love an electric assist e-bike for my gf to ride along with me (seriously). Otherwise, my bike's aerodynamics are so strange that I simply coast and she drifts behind me (not serious, sort of).

Old 06-15-16, 05:03 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
As I have posted - I'd get rid of all electronics and wires and radios for UCI races.

But you could also have a lot of fun with this. Make the bike weight MAX around 14# and allow it while maintaining wheels and frame safety approval standards. It would be interesting to see the innovation (and cost). There are a lot of creative ways to get an electronic/mechanical benefit.

I'd do the same for "safe drugs" too - but everyone knows that.
Old 06-16-16, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Here's another argument to just let athletes dope as they please: Even With Confession of Cheating, World’s Doping Watchdog Did Nothing
Old 06-16-16, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
I would love an electric assist e-bike for my gf to ride along with me (seriously).
I'd definitely use an e-bike for running errands. I seriously looked into it after riding my first e-bike, which was a combination of incredible optimism/potential and abject failure. I rode the bike which had been heavily used during the day's Interbike Outdoor Demo. When I got it the battery was basically drained, but I didn't realize that. Rode about 3-4 miles out which was all downhill, then turned around and came back (we were reconning the Outdoor Demo ride route on the bike path thing to verify it was actually rideable and I didn't have a bike with me hence e-bike). I was in sneakers, street clothes. Bike was fantastic when charged so I was gleefully using the motor assist here and there. The battery died at the turn around, I think within a minute of turning around.

It then became a 70 or 80 lbs bike, 26" wheels, 1.5" tires, super low end fork, suspension/bouncy post, steel cranks, etc etc etc. I struggled to get over some of the little humps over the big drainage things they have out there, literally did a trackstand on a couple as I tried to push down on the pedals. My buddy thought I was fooling around until he lifted the bike (he was on a Campy demo road bike, carbon with Record 10s). I eventually had to walk the bike over those little drainage ditch overpasses because it was killing me to try and pedal the thing over those humps.

I think e-bikes would be awesome with one change where I live - I'd want a path down from the hill where our village is located down to the soccer field area, about half a mile. The road is a heavily trafficked road, with a line of cars literally half a mile long during the peak of rush hour. Virtually zero shoulder. Typical speeds are 45-50+ mph (posted 35) and I've seen cars going my guess of 70-80 mph (the cars were doing that semi-air thing over dips and peaks in the road). I drive up that all the time and when I drove the trailer I happened to come across about 15 riders scattered up the hill. I passed twice but did most of the hill at 8 mph because I couldn't safely pull out and pass. I would not want to do that even on an e-bike with groceries, but if it was a path? I'd do it. Plus Junior could ride with me. They've proposed a path and doing a study now on it. It would connect to the extensive MUP which leads directly to the grocery store we mainly use, but also the other way it goes directly into down and right across the street from the Missus's office.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-16-16, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I would also like to have an e-bike. As robabeatle said, the GF could ride with me once in a while, plus it would be fun for the commute. The price though. Might have to wait twenty years.
Old 06-16-16, 10:43 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
As I have posted - I'd get rid of all electronics and wires and radios for UCI races.

But you could also have a lot of fun with this. Make the bike weight MAX around 14# and allow it while maintaining wheels and frame safety approval standards. It would be interesting to see the innovation (and cost). There are a lot of creative ways to get an electronic/mechanical benefit.

I'd do the same for "safe drugs" too - but everyone knows that.
EPO is as safe as orange juice?
Old 06-16-16, 11:19 AM

Seems many PEDs in the current levels of use are more safe than road cycling / racing. At least if "safe" = "not dying". Taking synthetic hormones I tend to think is worse than orange juice.

EPO is a "safe for humans" drug. It is prescribed all the time, like many hormones. The primary safety issue is/was too high HCT - sludge blood. When HCT limited to the UCI 50% level that they test to, I have not heard of negative side effects. All the searches point to heart working too hard, stoke, blood clot, which the <50% level addresses.

The issues, of course is getting riders to obey rules. It does not seem you can get World Tour pros to obey the rules without them being enforceable.
Testing the 50% HCT level, while requiring a needle stick, is a number to manage too - it is enforceable. Measuring if EPO was used where the benefits remain after the drug can't be tested for (at least it was that way, and may be changing) is not enforceable.
Old 06-16-16, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems many PEDs in the current levels of use are more safe than road cycling / racing. At least if "safe" = "not dying". Taking synthetic hormones I tend to think is worse than orange juice.

EPO is a "safe for humans" drug. It is prescribed all the time, like many hormones. The primary safety issue is/was too high HCT - sludge blood. When HCT limited to the UCI 50% level that they test to, I have not heard of negative side effects. All the searches point to heart working too hard, stoke, blood clot, which the <50% level addresses.

The issues, of course is getting riders to obey rules. It does not seem you can get World Tour pros to obey the rules without them being enforceable.
Testing the 50% HCT level, while requiring a needle stick, is a number to manage too - it is enforceable. Measuring if EPO was used where the benefits remain after the drug can't be tested for (at least it was that way, and may be changing) is not enforceable.
testing HCT doesn't happen any longer, thought, right? that was just a proxy for the presence of other substances (or the suspicion of the presence of other substances), which just got you a time-out.

some of use have naturally higher HCT value based on where we live.
Old 06-16-16, 12:12 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
HCT does get tracked as part of the bio-passport
Old 06-16-16, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
...The battery died at the turn around...
Old 06-17-16, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
HCT does get tracked as part of the bio-passport
yes, but the 50% thing doge refers to is from way, way back.

sorry for not being clear earlier.
Old 06-17-16, 09:35 AM
out walking the earth

Awesome. That's what we need; a sport where you need to take epo to keep up. Then all the 1s who want to be pro, and all the 2s who want to be 1s.. And so on. A brand new arms race. It may or may not kill you, but let's allow it because there isn't 100 percent enforcement. What, if anything, would you have put into your kid doge? I'd have made my kid quit the sport. I'd quit tomorrow with that sort of destructive policy. That sort of thing cost Carmichael a lot of money.
Old 06-17-16, 09:49 AM
Nonsense

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/sp...cs-doping.html
Old 06-17-16, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Awesome. That's what we need; a sport where you need to take epo to keep up. ...
It is hard to be sure we don't have that at the World tour level. epo being an example.

My kid did quit the sport. My awareness and little Euro trips made me feel better about it.
Old 06-17-16, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
...That sort of thing cost Carmichael a lot of money.
backwards? I think doping made him a lot of money. If he hadn't been involved with athletes who doped, very likely with his full knowledge and possibly even his encouragement, CTS may never have risen above the crowd.
Old 06-17-16, 02:38 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
It's official.

Surprised it's only the track & field team... if they're doing it I can't imagine other Russian athletes are doing the same thing.

my race videos
Old 06-17-16, 03:02 PM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by rapwithtom
backwards? I think doping made him a lot of money. If he hadn't been involved with athletes who doped, very likely with his full knowledge and possibly even his encouragement, CTS may never have risen above the crowd.
two different things. he paid out a significant sum of cash for doping juniors.
Old 06-17-16, 03:09 PM
Nonsense

Holy **** he doped juniors?!
Old 06-17-16, 03:14 PM
out walking the earth

Six years later, Strock case comes to court - VeloNews.com
Old 06-17-16, 03:21 PM
out walking the earth

It is hard to be sure we don't have that at the World tour level. epo being an example.

My kid did quit the sport. My awareness and little Euro trips made me feel better about it.

I couldn't really give less of a **** less about the pro tour. I'm not sure I could name more than 5 active euro pros. However, the issue is with trickle down. You want to allow doping. The real world ramifications of what you propose is that domestic pros need to take epo to get to europe. 1s need to take to keep up with the domestic pros they're racing against. The 2s who want to compete with the 1s also...and so on. The 4s who come in the sport and think they need the best of everything will also find themselves doping, because it's pro and allowed. And yeah, you get a few asshats like chodroff or anthony who started doping as 4s, but mercifully I still believe them to be a small minority. You're ok with all that. I'm not. I think what you advocate for is a hell realm from the Inferno. And I'm thankful, daily, that such views aren't likely to get much leverage in society because I believe them to be the destruction of anything remotely wholesome. Meyerson has been pretty outspoken on this very point...why should he put something in his body because some other guy decided he wants to go faster. When the attitude is that the nondopers should get out because they're not willing to really compete, the whole thing is utterly effed. So I say USADA and WADA should keep fighting the good fight, and doing the best they can. No they're not going to get everyone. And yes the penalties should be way steeper to be a greater deterrent, but marginal testing and marginal effects are morally a much higher ground than the alternatives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.