Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 07:32 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn, glad your hip only has a new face bruise....

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 01-25-12, 09:09 PM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
heal up scrod!

i am stoked this is on hulu
https://www.hulu.com/watch/312307/to-live-and-ride-in-la
Old 01-25-12, 09:16 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Today I got hit by a car while WALKING across an intersection by some dumbass driving a PT Cruiser who blew through a stop sign after only looking to the right.
Damn. This sucks. Get well, soon.

"I'm glad I wasn't on my bike". hahaha.
Old 01-25-12, 09:21 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh
@Scrod: we have an ongoing joke around here about PT Cruisers being the most dangerous cars on the road and if you see one, to take an alternate route. Seriously, they attract the most ******** drivers. One has run us off the road (while we were in a Jetta) another has come at us the wrong way on a one way road and another hit me while I was jogging in my neighborhood, among other things
Around here it's volvo suv's or anything with a nissan emblem on it.

Heal up scrod.
Old 01-25-12, 09:45 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
today I'm cleaning my chain and hearing a loud ass pop coming from it. I figure at first it could be grime and **** because I was just in nasty ass beumont with it, but it continued. Is the master link area too tight? There's some slack in my chain, so it's nto as tight as it looks in the video (see picture), but I've tried pushing the links back and forth to loosen up any tightness and it won't go away. thoroughly cleaned the crap out of it too

you can really hear it at 2 seconds in and 8 seconds in
.be
Old 01-25-12, 10:15 PM

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today: putting off my Music theory paper until tomorrow (due fri) lolz. An easy 3 pages I just have to bring myself to do
Old 01-25-12, 10:20 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
pfffft I hold off on 10 page papers until around midnight the night before. Cs get degrees amirite!?

now fix my chain noise
Old 01-25-12, 10:28 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sell the bike

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 01-25-12, 10:31 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
today I'm cleaning my chain and hearing a loud ass pop coming from it. I figure at first it could be grime and **** because I was just in nasty ass beumont with it, but it continued. Is the master link area too tight? There's some slack in my chain, so it's nto as tight as it looks in the video (see picture), but I've tried pushing the links back and forth to loosen up any tightness and it won't go away. thoroughly cleaned the crap out of it too

you can really hear it at 2 seconds in and 8 seconds in
.be

Loosen the chainring bolts wiggle the chainring a tiny bit, then evenly tighten the chainring bolts back up.
Old 01-25-12, 10:42 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
and if that doesn't work did you push a pin back through a link? you may have damaged the link's bushing. it sounded link a link to me just looking at how often it occurs per rotations.
Old 01-25-12, 10:53 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Loosen the chainring bolts wiggle the chainring a tiny bit, then evenly tighten the chainring bolts back up.
ah good call. just had to replace a bolt in their so I guess that could've thrown off the tension?

@cc sounded like a link to. I had my LBS put the chain on, I didn't push any pins through myself after the noise. if I can't get rid of the noise by messing with the chainring I was going to go with the "you guys installed this chain and its popping!"
Old 01-25-12, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my LBS put the chain on,
As I have said many a time, I am extremely hesitant to trust a local bike shop. My brother worked in two (the first one was pretty damn good, the second one sucked balls) and, as the younger brother, I hung around both for the better part of my preteen-late teen years. Unless you know for a fact that your LBS does exceptional work, you should do your mechanics yourself. Anyone can break a chain with a chain breaker. I understand if you do not have the right tools, but you seem to be a knowledgeable cyclist, so you definitely have the know-how to do your own mechanics. It's not like you are changing the piston rings in your car. It's simple bicycle mechanics. Honestly, by what I have read on these forums, I do all my bicycle mechanics the wrong way (I.E. tightening cranks without a measurement tool, installing a headset w/o a real press [I made mine with a piece of threaded rod, two nuts and some washers] truing wheels sans dedicated truing stand) but somehow I still ride my bike without flaw. Granted, I do not ride the distance most of y'all do. But sometimes, I feel like y'all are too picky about mechanics. Just ride and be happy you can still make forward progress without too much trouble.

/rant.
Old 01-25-12, 11:26 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yeah actually I have the chain done with these guys because it's one of the few things I trust them more than myself with. The guy who did it is an old cycling veteran, not some teenage newb, so I think I'm okay, or it's been done at least as well as I would've done.

either way, thanks Dannihilator!

it took me two tries (the lazy way where I left everything on and then the right way) to get it to go away, but it does seem to have been chainring tension. no more snap crackle pop going on, just a loud ass soma cog.
Old 01-25-12, 11:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry hamfoh if I sounded condescending. It was not my intent. I only figured that If the bike shop ****ed up breaking your chain, they would not be worth going back to and you would be better off doing your mechanics on your own. But if I can successfully do my own mechanics, I figure just about anyone who post regularly on these forums is capable. I do not claim to be a master mechanic. I just figure it out as I go.
Old 01-25-12, 11:43 PM

Bikes: raleigh gran prix converted to fixed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scrod and CC, good luck with quick recoveries
Old 01-26-12, 12:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I yelled "****ing ****head!" as he hit me and tried to turn it around on me by rolling down his window and yelling at me for being in the street. WTF? There were people all around telling him they clearly saw him hit me and that he didn't stop. He tried to drive away. I wanted to kill him. Before you know it, two cops were there - one of them being a dude whose bike I've done a lot of work on (sometimes it works out to be in good with the local cops) who got the driver's info, made out a report and told me to get to the hospital to be checked out.
He tried to pull the "why did you jump in front of my car?!?" card on you?? Wooooow. And then he tried to drive away?

This guy needs to lose his license. Now. Isn't a hit and (attempted) run of a person some kind of serious crime? That is some shady business right there.

On a related note, people should take note that the driver was a male. Me and my wife were just talking about how women get a bad rap as drivers (not trying to open that can of worms).
Old 01-26-12, 12:03 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soyboy
scrod and CC, good luck with quick recoveries
+1

i got hit by a car once... a ****ing red prius.... ***** blatantly ran a red light... i was on my bike, i was out test riding the brand new edge carbon fork i just installed, and new veeps to DA's..... totaled the cockpit of my bike... front wheel got destroyed, rear wheel needed to be rebuilt... fork splintered all nasty like... frameset made it through, scuffed up and what not, but eh....

**** was wack... hit and run... never seen her again...
Old 01-26-12, 12:04 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
This guy needs to lose his license. Now. Isn't a hit and (attempted) run of a person some kind of serious crime? That is some shady business right there.
It's a felony in California; it'll get you 3-7 years... i dont know about MA.
Old 01-26-12, 12:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
He tried to pull the "why did you jump in front of my car?!?" card on you?? Wooooow. And then he tried to drive away?

On a related note, people should take note that the driver was a male. Me and my wife were just talking about how women get a bad rap as drivers (not trying to open that can of worms).
Why would you say that women are worse drivers when men have higher insurance rates (honestly most women I drive with are not as confident as the men I drive with, but I also do not want to get into that argument)?

And are you really surprised a driver was antagonistic towards you? This kind of **** happens when I am walking or riding my bike. It happens when I get interrogated by bike cops (yes we have those at certain times of the year in Cooperstown). Don't expect the sympathy you deserve as a cyclist.
Old 01-26-12, 12:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlattsVegas
Why would you say that women are worse drivers when men have higher insurance rates (honestly most women I drive with are not as confident as the men I drive with, but I also do not want to get into that argument)?

And are you really surprised a driver was antagonistic towards you? This kind of **** happens when I am walking or riding my bike. It happens when I get interrogated by bike cops (yes we have those at certain times of the year in Cooperstown). Don't expect the sympathy you deserve as a cyclist.
Huh? I never said women are worse drivers, just that there is a stereotype that women are worse drivers.

And I can't tell if paragraph two is addressed to me or Scrod? I don't think he was surprised about antagonistic drivers, but I think anyone would be surprised if they are walking in a crosswalk at a four way stop and a car doesn't even stop and hits them. And then the driver acts like it's the peds fault. And then tries to drive away.

I can't speak for Scrod, but there's a difference between expecting sympathy and expecting people to adhere to basic safety rules. If you didn't expect the latter, you would never leave the house.
Old 01-26-12, 12:36 AM
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PlattsVegas
Why would you say that women are worse drivers when men have higher insurance rates?
It's actually because there's some evidence that men are more reckless drivers (especially ages teens to mid-20s) than women.
Old 01-26-12, 02:05 AM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
Wtf. How?

Kill it in a fire

Get well soon, Scrod and CC
Old 01-26-12, 02:12 AM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I watched that semi recently. I wish, like most bike docs, that the riders talked more
Old 01-26-12, 03:11 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i like how obviously un-stoked keo is by ace

at one point he looks at the camera man like "really? this guy?"
Old 01-26-12, 05:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made a Fixed Gear themed tee design.

What do you guys think about it? =)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.