Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 09:40 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,091 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I remember when those TiGr locks had their kickstarter. How do you like it?
I have three now, and they're all I use anymore, so that just about says it all.

I guess I could add they make nearly every other lock seem stupid in comparison, but that's being petty, and anyway people have different needs and means, so other locks may work equally and as satisfactorily if not moreso; it all depends on your priorities.
Old 11-17-16, 11:45 PM
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
Give me a second to pick my jaw off the floor
Read 'em and weep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0195 c.jpg (96.6 KB, 985 views)
IMG_0197 c.jpg (95.4 KB, 982 views)
IMG_0198 c.jpg (96.5 KB, 977 views)
IMG_0201 c.JPG (29.4 KB, 987 views)

Last edited by Minnesota Expat; 11-17-16 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 11:56 PM
Yeah, you betcha!

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale EVO 5, 2006 Trek 1000, and early 70's Manufrance Hirondelle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnesota Expat
Read 'em and weep.
Campagnolo Athena 11-speed group, Campagnolo Zonda wheelset, alloy Fizik seat post, stem and bars, and Brooks saddle. I'll upgrade the components and pedals as I get the cash, but I'm 56-yo and planning on riding this bike until my last day.

Other short-term fixes include removing a couple spacers in the stem, but that depends on continued recovery of my L4-L5 lumbar disks! I am really loving the Athena 11-speed. In any event, she far exceeds my capabilities and this is the last ride I'll ever need.
Old 11-18-16, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bleui
I didn't realized Tipo Corsa doesn't have a level top-tube, quite odd for a lugged frame.
It may not be perfectly level, but it's barely sloped. While the diagram is graphically exaggerated, the numbers on the frame's geometry chart seem to indicate a slope of between 1 and 1.5 degrees, depending on size, with larger frames having the most level top tubes. Such variation is not really so odd; it's just so small that we don't normally see it.
Old 11-18-16, 12:50 PM
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
...but I'm 56-yo and planning on riding this bike until my last day.

Other short-term fixes include removing a couple spacers in the stem, but that depends on continued recovery of my L4-L5 lumbar disks! I am really loving the Athena 11-speed. In any event, she far exceeds my capabilities and this is the last ride I'll ever need.
Nice bike Expat. I'm 56 also and I hope to have my stem spacers at about the height you are at now. No more full slammed stem for me! Close to level, seat to bars.
When I receive and dial in my Bianchi Tipo Corsa pictured above I hope to be level seat to bars.
Good luck with your bike!
Old 11-18-16, 07:36 PM
Yeah, you betcha!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Nice bike Expat. I'm 56 also and I hope to have my stem spacers at about the height you are at now. No more full slammed stem for me! Close to level, seat to bars.
When I receive and dial in my Bianchi Tipo Corsa pictured above I hope to be level seat to bars.
Good luck with your bike!
That Bianchi is very, very nice. A real beauty, but my wife saw it on the monitor and vocalized a pre-emptive, "No!" I like your set-up. I had no idea that you could order a custom fit Bianchi, I was too focused on the Belgium bikes.

I don't necessarily want to slam the stem, but getting a lower position definitely helps with the wind blowing off the west Texas desert. It's taken a year, but I'm completely pain free and will start some more stretching. Probably some basic yoga. And of course, dropping 10lbs would help reduce the belly fat.
Old 11-18-16, 11:34 PM
I like bikes

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
That Bianchi is very, very nice. A real beauty, but my wife saw it on the monitor and vocalized a pre-emptive, "No!" I like your set-up. I had no idea that you could order a custom fit Bianchi, I was too focused on the Belgium bikes.
Thanks for the compliment Ep. And no doubt your bike is nice also. I have never heard of Jaegher 'til now...

On my bike, it is not a custom order through Bianchi. I ordered the frameset through Adrenaline Bikes and they built it to my spec.
My kid is having them build a Masi. It should be pretty sweet also, but his frame has not landed in the country yet.
Do enjoy your bike, and here's to 56 year olds! lol
Old 11-19-16, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,337 Times in 1,855 Posts
Thought I'd share this again since it's now a "new" bike. The saddle and pedals are no big deal but swapping out the old and very heavy stock wheels with some fairly light Fulcrum Race 3s really woke up what was feeling like a pretty sluggish bike. They look pretty good on there.

I'm still hating these bars when I'm in the drops so those will be getting swapped sometime over the winter when all my nice bikes are stored away.
Old 11-19-16, 09:29 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 1,813 Times in 1,091 Posts
I'm diggin' all the quill stems! #freshfor2016 #oldisnew #revengeofthenerds
Old 11-20-16, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Campagnolo Athena 11-speed group, Campagnolo Zonda wheelset, alloy Fizik seat post, stem and bars, and Brooks saddle. I'll upgrade the components and pedals as I get the cash, but I'm 56-yo and planning on riding this bike until my last day.

Really beautiful. Would it be rude to ask cost? Weight?
Old 11-21-16, 11:50 AM
Yeah, you betcha!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Really beautiful. Would it be rude to ask cost? Weight?

About $5K as you see it in the picture, not counting the pedals. The T-38 Interceptor Super Stiff (SS) frame set is 2,795 Euro, so there is some foreign currency fluctuation, plus the shipping charge. Keep in mind, components are low end Campagnolo and Fizik. The pedals are some old Shimano that were laying around.

The Interceptor Classic frame and fork is about 2 kilograms, or 4.4lbs. However, the SS has a carbon fork, but a slightly larger headset, so who knows. I didn't weigh it before the build. but total weight is comparable to my 2014 Cannondale EVO SuperSix. Maybe a little heavier, but hardly noticeable.
Old 11-21-16, 12:37 PM
Yeah, you betcha!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Thought I'd share this again since it's now a "new" bike. The saddle and pedals are no big deal but swapping out the old and very heavy stock wheels with some fairly light Fulcrum Race 3s really woke up what was feeling like a pretty sluggish bike. They look pretty good on there.

I'm still hating these bars when I'm in the drops so those will be getting swapped sometime over the winter when all my nice bikes are stored away.

That is real nice looking, old steel with the right modern updates. How do you like the Fulcrum 3s? I considered the Fulcrums, but went with the Campagnolo Zondas. Basically the same wheel, but had the Zonda's on my EVO Super Six and really liked them. A very, very good value.

Also, do I see a Brooks Cambium C15 saddle? Another classic looking saddle. That was my choice for the Jaegher, in spite of the weight, over the Fizik saddles.
Old 11-21-16, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,337 Times in 1,855 Posts
That is real nice looking, old steel with the right modern updates. How do you like the Fulcrum 3s? I considered the Fulcrums, but went with the Campagnolo Zondas. Basically the same wheel, but had the Zonda's on my EVO Super Six and really liked them. A very, very good value.

Also, do I see a Brooks Cambium C15 saddle? Another classic looking saddle. That was my choice for the Jaegher, in spite of the weight, over the Fizik saddles.
Sort of funny see this referred to as "old steel". It's my second to newest steel bike, LOL! But I get where you're coming from. I do like the Fulcrum 3s so far but I've only got about 50 miles on them so far. I got them instead of the Zonda's soley because a sale and discount code I had meant I could get them for $303 shipped from the U.K. No brainer. I'll be watching for a similar deal on these or Zonda's to mount on my Schwinn Circuit that's sporting a Campagnolo Athena 11- speed setup. I totally agree these wheels are a good deal. 1550 gram wheels for only a few hundred and they have a great rep.

It is a Brooks. It's an ok saddle for me and I have done century's on it mounted on my LeMond. But I always know it's there. I honestly prefer Brooks Swallows more as they just disappear under me. I've also recently picked up a Gyes GS-06 saddle and have that on my Opus. It's was totally comfortable out of of the box too but will see if it last and holds up like a Brooks. I hope it does because its a much cheaper than the Brooks.
Old 12-01-16, 08:25 PM
I like bikes

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I finally took possession of MY modern steel TODAY. My kids modern steel is close behind.

Old 12-02-16, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine true warrior
Old 12-02-16, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 & S2, BMC SLC01, Pinarello DogmaK, Trek USPS, Wilier Imperiale and Lemond

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never sure where this one fits in but 1st page says 1996 and up so here is my 1999 LeMond Zurich, I originally bought it off CL as the previous owner at the time had just installed a brand new 6600 groupset and I wanted this group for another project, I took it for a ride before disassembly and loved it so much I just couldn't do it so now it gets hung with the rest of them and ridden regularly.

Old 12-05-16, 12:23 AM
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
This thread sucks!

I'm building up few frames (one of which may "qualify" for this thread ) that I entirely don't need, yet this thread makes me want about 2 or 3 more.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 12-11-16, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith Richards
Never sure where this one fits in but 1st page says 1996 and up so here is my 1999 LeMond Zurich, I originally bought it off CL as the previous owner at the time had just installed a brand new 6600 groupset and I wanted this group for another project, I took it for a ride before disassembly and loved it so much I just couldn't do it so now it gets hung with the rest of them and ridden regularly.

niiiiccccee
Old 12-12-16, 01:23 AM
I like bikes

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My kids modern steel finally showed up. It will be riding alongside my new Bianchi posted above.

Old 12-12-16, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sneak preview...

Old 12-12-16, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Timo
Sneak preview...

Ooh, that looks pretty. And, while I'm not usually a fan of threadless stems, if more looked like that one, I might have to change my opinion.
Old 12-12-16, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
My kids modern steel finally showed up. It will be riding alongside my new Bianchi posted above.

Lucky kid.
love the built.
a set of self extracting crank bolts will really enhance the look of the crank.

https://ridebike.hu/kepek/BB5/syncros...gelycsavar.jpg

Last edited by SSRI; 12-12-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Ooh, that looks pretty. And, while I'm not usually a fan of threadless stems, if more looked like that one, I might have to change my opinion.
Thanks! The stem is custom steel made by WIND Cycleworks. I wanted something to match the sleek tubes of a steel frame with 1" steerer. The brass top cap is custom too...

Old 12-12-16, 05:07 PM
I like bikes

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSRI
Lucky kid.
love the built.
a set of self extracting crank bolts will really enhance the look of the crank.
Thanks SSRI. My kid pitched in his fair share on his bike. We will look into those Syncros extractors. They would be a nice detail touch.
Old 01-17-17, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All City new Mr. Pink, new paint job and carbon fork.
Good option among the modern steel out there but not sure about using long reach brake though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.