Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

what is the most puncture resistant tire and tube combination?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

what is the most puncture resistant tire and tube combination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 02:02 PM
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been running my MTB tyres tubeless, (stans) and I'm about to convert my Big Dummy to the same.

so far I've used a set of WTB Vulpines from 20-50psi
and a set of WTB Nanoraptors

its really amazing how fast the latex sealant will fill a hole.
its nothing like slime.

I've purposely ran over glass and the like, and have watched the leak clog up. its pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlZvOVG8zs

there are a lot of threads out there that go on and on about tubeless conversions, etc...
Old 07-26-10, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kojak
"GatorSkin is just a flat resistant as the MP"

I don't believe this statement to be true. The two tires are strikingly different in their compound and construction, and are not really aimed at the same market. The Conti is more of a roadracing tire, at least in its initial incarnation. The Marathon Plus is an Expedition/Touring/Commuting tire.

The MP can be a bear to mount (some people have no problems at all) and no, they are not supple tires. The Conti Ultra G is a really nice tire, I've used them in the past, and yes they ride nicer than the Schwalbe MP. But in terms of flat protection, the Schwalbe MP tires are so far unparalleled.
True, but in my real world experience of commuting extensively on both they both offered excellent flat protection. There might be some cases where the MP is better (riding through a field of thumb tacks or drawing pins for example) but I have yet to encounter anything like that.

I ride through lots of glass (stupid drunk tourists like to throw bottles), rough roads, and cobblestones. In these conditions the GatorSkin is a far superior tire than the MP due to the ride quality. In my opinion of course.

That being said, when are you guys going to make the Marathon Supreme in 700x28 or 25! My wife loves hers, and I'd like to also give them a try some time.
Old 07-26-10, 11:38 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Sure, no, it's totally possible. Spend enough time on the boards and you'll hear all kinds of crazy anecdotal experiences from people.

I would be interested in other people's experiences with Gatorskins vs gp4000.

However, while the gatorskins are theoretically tougher, that's not the first time I've heard someone say they've used both and they thought the gp4000's were just as flat resistant as the gatorskins (to be fair, I've also heard the opposite). There are other things that differentiate the 2 tires as well - the gp4000's are far more expensive, and apparently they wear out sooner than the gatorskins. And you could be right that it's a matter of riding style and the road they ride on - I've personally never gotten a flat from a puncture since I got my Panaracer TServ tires (I've gotten a pinch flat, and 2 bad valve stems, but no flats the tire could have prevented), but I have no doubt (just like you said) that if I was riding on really terrible roads I would be able to tell the difference in number of flats between my tserv's and the Schwalbe Marathon Plus's (or the Specialized Armadillo's).

Just sayin' - just because marketing says they're different (and actually, I'm not sure Continental really makes any claims about the difference between the gatorskins and gp4000's) doesn't mean that real world experience will end up being different.

Marketing can be tricky. Schwalbe for example (*cough*, *cough*) gives both the Marathon, and the Marathon Plus a 5/5 for "Protection" (aka puncture resistance), both in the main rating and in "puncture" and "sidewall". (NOTE - I just looked it up to check, I guess now they give the regular marathon a 5/5, and the "plus" a ... 6 out of 5 in the main rating. If a tire gets 4/5, there's an empty box for the 5th one. For 6/5, they don't give the "5" one an empty box, but they add an additional box for the 6 and make it blue...how would you describe that? 6/5? 6/5 "blue"? Marketing...sheesh.)
Here's what I've experienced with Conti. Their tires are either damn near perfect out of the box (great ride excellent flat protection), or they are total rubbish (sidewalls that blow out the first time you pump them up, casing that cut extremely easily) . This goes for tires of the same model. I've suspected that they might have some quality control issues.
Old 07-27-10, 01:03 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
IIRC, there's some industry that uses stainless steel hoops about the right size for a bike tire...probably a bit rough riding and heavy, but glass and thorns should be no problem.
Old 07-27-10, 02:00 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ziemas
True, but in my real world experience of commuting extensively on both they both offered excellent flat protection. There might be some cases where the MP is better (riding through a field of thumb tacks or drawing pins for example) but I have yet to encounter anything like that.

I ride through lots of glass (stupid drunk tourists like to throw bottles), rough roads, and cobblestones. In these conditions the GatorSkin is a far superior tire than the MP due to the ride quality. In my opinion of course.

That being said, when are you guys going to make the Marathon Supreme in 700x28 or 25! My wife loves hers, and I'd like to also give them a try some time.
Hey Ziemas, I think we're saying the same thing here. You've certainly backed up my statement that you're an experienced rider, which is maybe the most important part of the puncture protection equation. Being an experienced rider would also account for your ability to "feel" the difference between sets of tires. I get by in the winter time with Ultremo DDs, which is probably more along the lines of a Gatorskin.

The Marathon Supreme should be available in a 700x28 sometime this fall. I've seen one, so I know they're going to happen, I just wish that it was sooner rather than later.
Old 07-27-10, 02:13 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Marathon Supreme should be available in a 700x28 sometime this fall. I've seen one, so I know they're going to happen, I just wish that it was sooner rather than later.
Excellent news, thanks!

Are you able to tell us if they are a true 28mm or run a bit small?
Old 07-27-10, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Excellent news, thanks!

Are you able to tell us if they are a true 28mm or run a bit small?
If past experience means anything, then in most applications the tire will be a bit on the narrow end of the spectrum. Schwalbe sizes their tires so that on the widest acceptable rim, at full inflation, a tire will not exceed the stated tire width. A cynic might argue that this is just a means to keep stated weights down, and the cycnic could be partially right. But there is value in knowing that if one has certain clearance constraints, they can know that a particular tire will work.
Old 07-27-10, 08:55 PM
Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adlai
that strikes me as false. More pressure = when you jump a curb the sides of the tube get even more pressure on them.

I've blown out a number of 23's but very rarely have I blown out 32's.
Perhaps you need a better pressure gauge. I've yet to blow out a 23, or anything else that was mounted properly (I've of course blown out an occasional tube here and there when I've pinched it between the tire bead and rim, but this is obviously not the fault of the tire, and at any rate tends to happen at or shortly after initial inflation). Low pressure can lead to pinch flats, more pressure than the tire is rated for can cause blowouts, but with proper inflation neither is likely to occur.

I'll still stand by what I said - 240 lb. rider, curb impact at ~15 mph, buckled frame tubes, damaged wheel, no blowout or pinch flat on a 23 that's well past its prime. Anecdotal, sure, but no more so than most of what's in this thread.
Old 07-27-10, 10:54 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If past experience means anything, then in most applications the tire will be a bit on the narrow end of the spectrum. Schwalbe sizes their tires so that on the widest acceptable rim, at full inflation, a tire will not exceed the stated tire width. A cynic might argue that this is just a means to keep stated weights down, and the cycnic could be partially right. But there is value in knowing that if one has certain clearance constraints, they can know that a particular tire will work.
Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear! I've been looking forward to trying these out for quite a while now as I would like something that will grip decently on wet cobblestones. Once again, thanks for the info.