Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Exercise and depression

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Exercise and depression

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 12:50 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
We'd be better off if it were normal for people with mild to moderate depression went somewhere for group exercising and to learn about nutrition (remember when health clubs used to do this?) and had those costs subsidized just like the costs of drugs are. But that's considered too costly and different here in the US, and comes across as telling an asthmatic that they can breathe easier if they just calm down.
The "old ways" are not necessarily the best ways.

Laudanum (a tincture of opium containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight, the equivalent of 1% morphine) was a wildly popular non prescription drug during the Victorian era and used to treat all sorts of ailments from headaches to tuberculosis and to calm cranky infants

What makes you think group exercising and nutrition training are effective in the treatment of mild to moderate depression in humans with those mental disorders?

Subsidized group exercising under the pretext of treating mental health disorders? Subsidized by whom in the absence of any credible evidence of effectiveness? Sounds like a scam to put some money into health club owners' pockets.
Old 10-30-14, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Antidepressant Can?t Believe It?s Expected To Fix This Mess All On Its Own | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

This is just one doctor talking about it. He's not talking about severe depression, nor have the posters so far on this thread.

Emotional Health, Depression Treatment - Dr. Weil
Old 10-30-14, 02:27 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The "old ways" are not necessarily the best ways.

Laudanum (a tincture of opium containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight, the equivalent of 1% morphine) was a wildly popular non prescription drug during the Victorian era and used to treat all sorts of ailments from headaches to tuberculosis and to calm cranky infants

What makes you think group exercising and nutrition training are effective in the treatment of mild to moderate depression in humans with those mental disorders?

Subsidized group exercising under the pretext of treating mental health disorders? Subsidized by whom in the absence of any credible evidence of effectiveness? Sounds like a scam to put some money into health club owners' pockets.
Here are some quotes from 2 studies I found looking on Pub Med. The study is in the link.

The standard therapy for depression is pharmacologic treatment, often with second-generation antidepressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Despite their widespread use, antidepressants have only modest effects on depression for many patients compared with placebo controls. Exercise therapy, already an established component of cardiac rehabilitation, has potential efficacy as a treatment for depression in cardiac disease patients.

For mild to moderate depression, the effect of exercise may be comparable with antidepressant medication and psychotherapy
;

Here's another study posted on Pub Med comparing the effectiveness of antidepressants states the placebo effect is responsible for "most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect.

Who's getting scammed? Is it the public that's paying for the costs of the drugs as well as the extra security measures in places like schools that didn't need current levels of security a generation ago when antidepressants weren't so common? Wouldn't we be better off if we took some of that money being spent on security and got people exercising and eating better? The side effects of exercise are much more beneficial to society than the side effects of the drugs
Old 10-30-14, 07:27 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Community. Supportive exercise community can actually be fun and have incentive to attend and bust your but than individual efforts. It's effective not just for competitive sports but for healthy exercise.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 10-30-14, 08:34 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by enigmaT120
This is just one doctor talking about it. He's not talking about severe depression, nor have the posters so far on this thread.
Who knows what the posters on this thread are talking about when they use the term "depression"? It doesn't appear that the posters do.
Old 10-30-14, 10:48 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Who knows what the posters on this thread are talking about when they use the term "depression"? It doesn't appear that the posters do.
I'm sure the posters in this thread who have been diagnosed with depression appreciate hearing that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-30-14, 11:08 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
The US medical system is designed to create profits for the drug and insurance companies, not healthy patients.
Really? Who designed that/this/our system you speak (post) of... and when? Was this "design" created by a committee, group, or board... and who appointed/created/hired/contracted/managed this whatever it is?

It is rare a human being looks at themselves in the mirror in the morning... and wonders what evils they can force on mankind today. The rare human that does that... is called insane.

Everyone instinctually wants to do good. Cheating others is not generally what most people would call... good. These grand conspiracy theories don't pan out.
Old 10-31-14, 04:16 AM
cycleobsidian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
I hate this talk of whether or not drugs are appropriate. It is a subject for you and your doctor.
I suppose you might know this already, but doctors get much of their advice on what to prescribe to their patients from the drug company reps that visit them regularly and offer free samples to pass on to their patients....
Old 10-31-14, 06:09 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't have depression, but I experience some very stressful episodes at work and in my relationship. Cycling helps enormously.

So does playing drums and kayaking up the river in my backyard.

Then, there's Buddhist meditation.
Old 10-31-14, 06:11 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cycleobsidian
I suppose you might know this already, but doctors get much of their advice on what to prescribe to their patients from the drug company reps that visit them regularly and offer free samples to pass on to their patients....
Just because they get advice doesn't mean they listen to it.

Two of my kids are doctors and they treat the pharmaceutical industry with healthy disdain. They are not outliers among their generation of docs in this regard.
Old 10-31-14, 07:06 AM
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Nature gave us a treatment long before the pharmaceutical companies did.

Magic Mushrooms Create a Hyperconnected Brain
Old 10-31-14, 07:13 AM
one life on two wheels

Originally Posted by Todzilla
Just because they get advice doesn't mean they listen to it.

Two of my kids are doctors and they treat the pharmaceutical industry with healthy disdain. They are not outliers among their generation of docs in this regard.
Free thinking doctors? I thought they were all cronies of 'big pharma' and are poisoning us for profit?

You mean some people actually become doctors to help people? Crazy.
Old 10-31-14, 08:05 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm sure the posters in this thread who have been diagnosed with depression appreciate hearing that.
I doubt that anyone diagnosed with depression is posting glib messages on this thread about group exercise and nutrition as being the cure for that condition.
Old 10-31-14, 08:51 AM

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Really? Who designed that/this/our system you speak (post) of... and when? Was this "design" created by a committee, group, or board... and who appointed/created/hired/contracted/managed this whatever it is?

It is rare a human being looks at themselves in the mirror in the morning... and wonders what evils they can force on mankind today. The rare human that does that... is called insane.

Everyone instinctually wants to do good. Cheating others is not generally what most people would call... good. These grand conspiracy theories don't pan out.
The "system" has evolved over time to support the financial well-being of themselves. The pharmaceutical industry, is just that, an industry. It is built to make money, and invests a lot of money pampering doctors, hiring lobbyists, and supporting political campaigns to further their profit. Nobody thinks people are actively intending to screw people over for the joy of it, but they are doing it to benefit themselves financially. This happens in all types of industry. You know the oil industry is the ones telling you oil changes should be done every 3000 miles, and the diaper industry is telling you to potty-train kids later than they have to, it's not inconceivable the pharmaceutical industry would be promoting pills to solve your problems. Just turn on the TV to see they are spending millions on advertising. It's called doing business in the US, not some crazy conspiracy.
Old 10-31-14, 08:54 AM

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I'm not a nutjob that doesn't think anybody should take medicine, and big pharma is out there to screw you. I'm just supporting the fact that it is difficult to promote alternative ways to help people, because there isn't much money in it.
Old 10-31-14, 10:21 AM
one life on two wheels

Originally Posted by Matt144
By the way, I'm not a nutjob that doesn't think anybody should take medicine, and big pharma is out there to screw you. I'm just supporting the fact that it is difficult to promote alternative ways to help people, because there isn't much money in it.
This is a totally valid view IMO, and one I happen to share with you. There's certainly a fair share of corruption in the medical 'industry' but one shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Depression is a serious condition and treatment is a complicated issue.

Exercise IS a way of boosting one's mood. It certainly isn't a sole treatment for depression, but neither is medication. Therapy, will, medication, diet...lots of support, are all beneficial.
Old 10-31-14, 10:27 AM

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I doubt that anyone diagnosed with depression is posting glib messages on this thread about group exercise and nutrition as being the cure for that condition.
Gosh...you almost seem to be arguing that clinical depression is a serious medical condition that is not typically responsive to facile folk remedies.
Old 10-31-14, 10:32 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
It certainly isn't a sole treatment for depression, but neither is medication. Therapy, will, medication, diet...lots of support, are all beneficial.
Can this thread become any more demeaning? Perhaps you'd like to let my uncle know that his son's suicide could have been prevented by force of will, exercise, and diet.
Old 10-31-14, 10:40 AM
one life on two wheels

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Can this thread become any more demeaning? Perhaps you'd like to let my uncle know that his son's suicide could have been prevented by force of will, exercise, and diet.
huh? you left out therapy, lots of support and medication. Why did you omit those from the list?
Old 10-31-14, 11:13 AM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The sources I referenced were from Pub Med. That's one of the leading sources of information for conventional medical research in the US. I think they've got a good idea of the definition of the term.

Last edited by no motor?; 10-31-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 11:21 AM
one life on two wheels

Speaking of mental disorders:

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry? - Scientific American
Old 10-31-14, 11:23 AM
Dead Fly

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Bianchi Ibex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Myth of Sisyphus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's depression when you have a rock?
Old 10-31-14, 02:21 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
huh? you left out therapy, lots of support and medication. Why did you omit those from the list?
There are many people who live with depression despite all of the above.

Speaking of mental disorders
More demeaning language.
Old 10-31-14, 02:40 PM
one life on two wheels

There are many people who live with depression despite all of the above
so you're not going to answer my question?

More demeaning language.
It is common medical terminology. Is there a term you prefer?

While we are on the subject of what we find offensive. How does your uncle feel about you using your cousins suicide to try and prove a point on the internet?
Old 10-31-14, 03:15 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I did. Not into the group thing though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.