Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the "least" you'd be happy with

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,389 Times in 728 Posts
Sadly, I am a bike snob and now only ride and collect top of the line models offered by a manufacturer. I still have my first "race" bike, a 1982 Raleigh Competition, Carlton. Of course the stock bits were removed and NR was installed within a year. Regardless of the standard I set for myself, I am simply happy to see so many people riding vintage bikes of all levels! Keeping history alive an useful everyday.
Old 03-25-17, 04:52 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
Really enjoying my newest acquisition, 1993 Trek 1200. Aluminum frame, Cromoly fork. Probably the best equipped bike i've ever owned, and if it was the only bike I could own from now on I would be happy...
Very nice. As the aluminum bikes age a bit, i think they will get more press here in C and V. My bikes are steel, but currently open to getting an older aluminum bicycle; back in 1976 i bought the only affordable aluminum bike on the market which got stolen. To me the thing was fast and i miss it, it was capable of higher tire pressures of 100 psi and that helped.

Steel is fine, but adding an aluminum racing kind of bike of the near C and V variety adds to the enjoyment of the sport. The comfort of steel isn't everything to me, speed on a bicycle also counts.
Old 03-25-17, 09:05 AM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Dang! That’s a tough decision. Fortunately, at this point in my life, I don’t have to settle. However, I find this is a very worthwhile mental exercise.

If I was limited to one bike, which may be a future reality, my choice would depend on my health and locale. First, a baseline; I’m in my early 70s, in good health and have been cycling regularly since I was 9 or 10. I’ve never competed or toured. I just like to ride. Until a few years ago, centuries were my passion. And now, on to my thought/decision process. For the most part, I like my bikes simple and utilitarian. If I was living in a relatively flat area like Phoenix, AZ, a single speed would suffice. Add in some small hills, overpasses and a few years, I’d move to a three speed. More hills, long grades and years would necessitate more gears, i.e. a 1X wide ratio 9 or 10 speed or maybe an 8 speed IGH. What ever I chose would be light, hopefully less than less than 25 lbs or at most, less than 30 lbs.

Currently, three bikes are my primary rides. A 1 X 8 city/utility bike built on a Fuji Nevada frame with ridged fork and front disc. It’s 23 lbs with narrow tires, sans racks. Ready to go shopping, it’s 26 lbs. Next is a 2014 carbon/aluminum Ridley CX with Shimano 105 drive train. At 22 lbs it’s my “go fast” ride where I can focus on speed and not worry about the nuances shifting and braking. Lastly, a 1965 Eddie Soens with Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport DT, Weinmann brakes and GB cockpit. It’s a surprising light, 22.5 lbs, 12 speed. This is my favorite, as it brings back memories of earlier days and the freedom of my first 10 speed. The Fuji gets 40 to 50% of my ride time because of its practicality and our weather. The other two split the remainder.

Having only one bike would be tough decision that I may have to make, but for now I’ll ride what I like.

Cheers,

Van
Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Van. I'm amazed at the light weight you are quoting for your various bikes. I've been trying to build the lightest bikes I can, without sacrificing utility, but I can't seem to get them any lower than my 26.6 lb Ross Aristocrat (Ishiwata 024 frame and fork). Part of that, though is the comfortable cockpit I build into my bikes. I insist on a leather saddle, mostly Brooks, and big comfy grips (Ergon GC1 Biokork), and 700c x 32 tires - so I suppose that explains most of it.

The rest of my bikes come in at around 30 lbs, with the upright touring rigs closer to 40. I've always thought that I could lose 10 lbs at the beginning of the riding season here and be much better off, but then I rode a friend's 22 lb racer and was blown away by the difference in exertion vs. speed. It seems that the weight of the bicycle is much more important than that of the rider.

Turning back towards the subject though, I don't think I could build a bike under 30 lbs that would meet all my cycling criteria. It's a challenge that I may take on next winter.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 03-25-17, 03:15 PM
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would say there are a few 'musts':

No Astabula cranks

No steel rims

No stamped-steel cranksets

No ugly welds on the frame
Old 03-25-17, 03:34 PM
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 4,802 Times in 1,814 Posts

As long as a bike rides well and looks the part I'm happy with it. The "least" of my bikes that managed that so far is this late seventies hi-ten Mercier. Even with the Brooks and all the steel parts it weighs 12.2 kgs, just a couple of pounds more than my more fancy machines.