Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want service now. Stop it!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I want service now. Stop it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4020 Post(s)
Liked 7,536 Times in 3,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I posted previously on this current thread:
Yes, we know. You don't have to re-post it. If we need to read it again, we can scroll up one page (a mere 24 posts) and read the original.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-11-20, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sioux falls bike shop has done little things for me when they were busy. I also know they do things for out of towners right away. They call when my bike is done usually early. Good thing I think. I would expect them to do out of town people in an emergency. They try hard to do the right thing and it shows.
Old 05-11-20, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This has nothing to do with someone out on touring needing repair or a commuter needing repair. This has everything to do with people feeling the need for special treatment ahead of everyone else that is waiting and playing by the established rules. Should someone call in to set an appointment, that is completely different and has nothing to do with my original rant.

Just find it shocking in this day and age that people are so damned full of themselves that they believe, truly believe they deserve special treatment because, well, just because they are special and have money in their pocket. To hell with everyone else, I come first!
I completely agree with you. Understanding that early on, I taught my kids "If you don't ask, you'll never know the answer. However, if you do ask, and it's a 'no', be respectful, courteous and appreciative, all the same."

So, for me, there's nothing wrong with asking (NOT demanding). Sometimes a little kindness and courtesy will help. It may not. If not, don't throw a tantrum. That's what really "burns my butt" (that, and strong, spicy salsa
Old 05-11-20, 03:45 PM
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Do you/does your- shop have the reputation of being really good, with very good service? If so, that may be why people continue to expect it, and voluntarily grace your front door with their “arse(s).” Don’t look a gift arse in the mouth. (Just take their money and smile.)
Thats easier said than done. I work in a car dealership and we have the same situation. There are times you can work them in but too many want immediate attention.
Likes For thepartsguy:
Old 05-13-20, 06:55 AM

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
While I agree that anyone who expects instant service needs to do some growing up, I have a slightly different experience to report. My daily rider (an amalgamation of parts from as many manufacturers as necessary.) had the wrong size seat-post. I was near a hole in the wall shop, so I asked if they could sell me a correct size seat-post. The clerk immediately removed the existing seat post from my bike, and removed the seat from the post. All the while, he told me to have a seat. I finally said, "you have told me to sit down 4 times now, I will listen." He took this as a signal to walk away from my bike. All I wanted was a 26.2 seat post that I would install at home. 10 minutes later, I realized he was not going to put my bike together, and I still had to ride home. I talked another guy into loaning me the wrenches to place the seat on the post, and secure the post, PAID for the seat post, and left. A week later, I went back, and told the manager that they had sold the wrong size post.

While many customers are A__ H____ sometimes it is the clerk.
Likes For RidesaCarlton:
Old 05-13-20, 07:16 AM
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Tonight after work we had a discussion about surcharging for on the spot repairs beyond a flat tire or simple gear adjustment. The one comment that stuck out and made a lot of sense was this, "Why does the person who has the fattest wallet always get preference?". That sealed the deal. If there is someone ahead of you in line, get in behind them as they were here first. Simply equitable.
Interesting. Are you sure the people with the fattest wallet would pay the rush charge? Or would they merely complain about it and choose to wait for the standard fee?

As a service company, there are times we need circuit boards and such repaired and the place we take them to has two levels of rush charges.

Normal repair taking up to 2 weeks = whatever price is quoted
5 day turnaround = quoted price + 10%
3 day turnaround = quoted price + 25%

Our customers, which are businesses, almost never opt for the 25% rush charge and they have large repair budgets.
Old 05-13-20, 07:29 AM
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Mesher
Hmmmm. I founder if some "wrenches" might have a touch of that.
Sure. Some mechanics in any field might have a personality to match a demanding "me first" customer. Cocky confidence can be found in some great mechanics*. That cocky confidence can be hard to live with on occasion, that's for sure.

edit to add:
* Same for some mediocre mechanics. I have much less tolerance for cocky mediocre mechanics.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-13-20 at 08:05 AM.