Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

You like campy? Just like campy!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

You like campy? Just like campy!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 11:33 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 678 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
True. My 7700 25th Anniversary RD weighs 4 grams more than a Cyclone. It’s probably lighter after I swapped out the pulley wheel, but of course that’s not mainstream. Probably more durable with stainless pivot pins. Of course it’s indexed, and because of that, pretty much by definition shifts better. And of course it looks way better.

4 grams well-spent, if you ask me.
The 7700 is oneof the very best dura ace groups ever made in the last 26 years.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-04-23, 11:38 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Originally Posted by smd4
HAHAHA! God, I remember thinking this exact same thing when I was adjusting some new Shimano XTR Rapidfire shifters in 1989. How could shifting gears on a mountain bike possibly get any easier or more efficient? Those shifters were utter perfection. Where the industry could go from there was absolutely inconceivable.

(Record scratch)

And here we are…
the very first Shimano XTR M900 Shifters appeared in 1991 Shimano XTR history so I think that you must have had XT
Old 08-06-23, 01:40 PM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Profits?
Do they though?

If that was the case why not move production to Asia v Eastern Europe? While production in eastern europe is cheaper then western europe it's not cheaper than asia or north africa ...looking at you look
Old 08-06-23, 01:42 PM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
As the company that aims to be the non plus ultra of professional level racing components I would measure their success by how many pro teams run their gear. I think for 2023 in the world tour only one team is using them.
But do they?
Old 08-06-23, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 267 Posts
I think this is a weird conversation to have on the Classics and Vintage forum. Whether Campy is relevant today that is. I think how they lost it is a worthy discussion but by definition anything inside of the last 25 years or so is irrelevant to a classics and vintage.
Old 08-06-23, 03:59 PM
Steel is real

I think this is a weird conversation to have on the Classics and Vintage forum. Whether Campy is relevant today that is. I think how they lost it is a worthy discussion but by definition anything inside of the last 25 years or so is irrelevant to a classics and vintage.
I will disagree because some antique and vintage campy parts and some vintage classic equipped bikes with campy command a much higher premium than their counterparts fitted with shimano and this knowing that campy wasn't necessarily better than shimano regarding quality,reliability and shifting precision.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-06-23, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by georges1
I will disagree because some antique and vintage campy parts and some vintage classic equipped bikes with campy command a much higher premium than their counterparts fitted with shimano and this knowing that campy wasn't necessarily better than shimano regarding quality,reliability and shifting precision.
Nah, that has absolutely no bearing on anything. I know for a fact that the Crane was better than the Campy rally (a bad copy of the Crane actually), and the Suntour GT was probably better than the other two. Even at the time the Campy was twice the price of the Shmano and the Shmano was twice the price of the Suntour. That disparity doesn't hold anymore because you can't get even get any money for a used Suntour GT but the Campy and Crane still command a hefty price tag.

On vintage rarity paired with how many people actually cares determine the price, not quality.
Old 08-06-23, 11:03 PM
Steel is real

Nah, that has absolutely no bearing on anything. I know for a fact that the Crane was better than the Campy rally (a bad copy of the Crane actually), and the Suntour GT was probably better than the other two. Even at the time the Campy was twice the price of the Shmano and the Shmano was twice the price of the Suntour. That disparity doesn't hold anymore because you can't get even get any money for a used Suntour GT but the Campy and Crane still command a hefty price tag.

On vintage rarity paired with how many people actually cares determine the price, not quality.
Back in the 70's there was only one team racing with Shimano Dura Ace, it was the legendary Flandria Team that Tullio Campagnolo couldn't bear and the rest was mostly Campagnolo or Simplex. In the 80's you had, Mavic, Shimano and Suntour. To my knowledge only a few professional teams used the Suntour Superbe pro in 1990's, like the Buckler team (1990 - 1992) used Superbe Pro on their Colnagos, The La William team rode red Colnagos with Superbe Pro, two other that I'm not entirely sure about are the Stuttgart team on blue Eddy Merckx bikes, and the Tulip Computers team that Alan Peiper rode for in his last years as a pro. I can't remember what bikes they rode though. There were also some US domestic teams running Suntour as well. I think the Giordana team was on Suntour GPX (the brakes at least). Amaya on pink BH bikes in 1991 & on blue Razesa bikes in 92, both on Superbe Pro. Word Perfect team in 1993 on blue Colnagos with Superbe Pro.1992 / 3 ??? Banana team from GB on red Lambert frames with Superbe Pro.Just to add a little more info about team Buckler and their Colnago's - Jelle Nijdam won quite a few races for Buckler but wins that might impress are his wins on stage 6 of the 1990 TDF, stage 5 of the 1991 TDF as well as winning the Tour of the Netherlands in 1990 and 1992 and coming third in the Amstel Gold Race in 1990. It was possible to race and win using Suntour Superbe Pro. He had other wins on 4 stages of the TDF for other teams and did hold the TDF leaders Yellow Jersey once as well as other impressive wins. But still by the early 1990's the show was over for road racing teams and their accushift just never cut it against what Shimano & Campagnolo were offering.The Shimano Dura ace rear derailleur of the mid 80's early 90's was vastly superior to the Campy Record and Suntour Superbe Pro because it featured ceramic pulleys, indexed speeds and in1991 Dura Ace introduces two first world ones the 7410 dual pivot brakes and the ST 7410 brifters. Campy will introduce Record and their ergopower brifters a year later. Suntour didn't make such products, probably why Suntour disappeared from the bike components scene regarding groupsets in end of 1993. They manufacture still today suspended forks(front and rear) and ebike components.
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-07-23, 02:25 AM

Apparently back in the day when suntour had a market lock on the slanted parallelogram rear derailleur, more than one a campy sponsored bicycle had a suntour derailleur in it.
​​​
Old 08-07-23, 01:06 PM
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 179 Posts
Apparently back in the day when suntour had a market lock on the slanted parallelogram rear derailleur, more than one a campy sponsored bicycle had a suntour derailleur in it.
​​​
I’ve seen Adidas Eddy Merckx Competition and Super cycling shoes dressed up as all manner of lesser brands but I’ve never seen this. Photographs or it didn’t happen!