Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OCD bike builds?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

OCD bike builds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 04:12 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
What would this site be without your build thread on that Raleigh you've been working on like forever, right?

This is just a classic BF thread:

noglider's Raleigh International Frankenbike
You got me thinking! I've decided that I'm not a visual artist. I'm a performance artist. I don't create works of art that stand by themselves and are complete. My works are works in progress. My International thread shows that the bike is a testbed of ideas, and I don't intend to leave the bike as it is. I haven't updated the thread, so I better do that soon. I overhauled the bike recently, and I didn't put the dynamo lights back on, because I'm unsure of how I want to do that. I also haven't put the front rack back on. It's tricky. I might get a different rack. I have, however, installed fenders, long overdue. So the bike looks and is different. I've also destroyed TWO rear wheels in a short space of time, so I'm using a spare rear wheel out of necessity. It has a 7-speed freewheel, mismatched to my 10-speed shifter. Oddly enough, I can get all the gears, and once in gear, there is no grinding noise. But I have to click twice or thrice sometimes to get the gear I want.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-24-19, 10:08 PM

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'm guessing I nearly give the guys that collect these 70+ year old cruisers a stroke when I ride by, photo is very grainy cause that was taken in a pitch black powerless garage. The tires don't match cause I somehow bent the axle on my from hub, and stole the wheel from my '85 ten speed.
Likes For Kahsyrbag:
Old 09-25-19, 12:08 PM

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,190 Posts
I am not OCD about "detailing" but do want wheels/tires and groups to match.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-25-19, 08:23 PM

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
I guess my OCD is limited. In my racing days we changed wheels like we changed socks, tires came and went. Most were clement, but seldom identical. Identical was an accident. Now I kind of care for my vintage stuff, but cash is in short supply.

My work commuter (I call it Frankenbike) has one 27 inch wheel, and one 700c wheel. The brakes, brake levers, front derailleur, rear derailleur, and derailleur levers are all different manufacturers, but all are period correct. You guys know how hard it is to find 5 different ones? The cranks are Shimano, but one has a Nishiki decal on it, Pedals are Miche from the mid 80's. Christophe toe clips. The seatpost is modern so who cares about it. The saddle is labeled Mundialite (eight). They seem to work together, and ride just fine.

Someday I may get this picture thing figured out.
Old 09-26-19, 12:46 AM

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Is this the Aero model of this brand with the super light frame? Was this designed by Dr. Evil? And most importantly, can you cook a pot full of frankfurters on those burners on the side?
It's funny you called them burners, I'm getting some cast iron trivets to use as speaker covers, and it's the opposite of super light, last time it was weighed with a previous system it was 125 pounds, some minor tweaks and I will weigh it again.
Old 09-26-19, 08:50 AM
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I polished my dropout screws and their springs, if that says anything...

...but only if it's free or very cheap. I don't care about OEM, it just has to be the best blend of modern and retro, and budget friendly. Pairs must match, but if the RD is different from the FD because it better fits my needs, so be it. OCD won't keep me from riding my bike. If I go out on a short solo ride and it rains, that's bad planning. If it's a group ride and it rains, it's a bike for heaven's sake! I didn't spend my money to look at it! On the other hand if it's free...

tube branding must face to the drive side...
I rebuilt my hubs when I put them on a new project... they're cartridge...
cable end caps are crimped with a dull set of side cutters three times. the end of each "arrow" must touch the base of the next and point to the end of the cap.
chainring bolts are clocked... they're blank... (hex "corners" point to the center)

Last edited by Ferrouscious; 09-26-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-26-19, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Certain things like mismatched wheels have to go. Mixing parts is fine by me on most builds. I am way more ocd about unwelcome noises.
The persnickety all OEM thing just isn’t my bag. For one thing you probably can’t even buy OEM tires in most cases and even if you could you most likely wouldn’t want them. And that’s one of the more important bits on a bike by general consensus.
Old 09-26-19, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
These days I'm not exactly OCD about 'catalog parts,' or even 'roughly period correct.'

Things HAVE to match as I want things to match. That match may have something to do with an original catalog part, a part that matches a particular part or manufacturer, or a time period or just whatever I deem "cool."

Right now my Trek 620 has nearly a whole build of parts for an exceptionally glorious build... but I'm short of a few things, and don't have the discretionary cash to score what I want for this bike. There's seriously a completely awesome badass $1000+ wheel set sitting at the shop waiting for me for the past several months. I really should figure out what I really want and start putting some dough away.

Building up my Trek 720, I had to have a Dura Ace FD on that bike, but I couldn't get a 7803 triple FD to work. I put on a Mountech and then a Cyclone MII- they worked fine. They both looked really cool, especially the Cyclone. But it wasn't a Dura Ace. Eventually found a DA double that works perfectly!

IMG_0374 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_0375 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_1728 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
Who would have thought that a Dura Ace 7700 double FD would work in this application - brilliant!
Old 09-26-19, 09:46 PM

I was making a dumb joke. Not at your expense though. Can you please explain this bike a little though because myself and others are sure to be filled with wonder. What is the barrel thing for instance. What are all the computer wires in the front?
The drum is for a 15" subwoofer, the wiring is all the boards to run the insanity. https://imgur.com/gallery/4yLUHWx
Likes For Kahsyrbag:
Old 09-27-19, 07:50 AM

That is cool. I like eccentric cool stuff. It reminds me of Ken Kesey's psychedelic bus called Further that used to drive around the country and blast out prankish talk and weird music etc. Turned a lots of heads in the early sixties before the whole hippy movement even began. The Merry Pranksters they were called. Well if you come up with any other inventions post pictures if you don't mind. How about a bike that can make fresh popcorn or cooked food as you pedal? Just throwing out some bad ideas. Forgive me. Enjoy the fun.
That stuff is entirely plausible these days, just add a boost converter to bring the 12v up to 120v, your imagination is the limit to what you can do to bikes these days.
Likes For Kahsyrbag:
Old 09-27-19, 09:51 AM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 701 Posts
I once spent an entire day drilling a stainless steel front rack to hide the cables going to the front light. Drilling small diameter tubing is annoying. If it is stainless steel it becomes next to impossible as it hardens when it heats up.
Then it turned out it was partially obstructed somewhere so I could get a thin nylon wire through but not the slightly thicker electric cable.

Then there were those polished Mafac Racers... and various other parts like derailleurs and chain guards.
Maybe I just like to polish things?

Old 09-27-19, 11:04 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
@JaccoW

Brother, that is a spectacular polish job on that caliper!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 09-27-19, 01:21 PM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
@JaccoW

Brother, that is a spectacular polish job on that caliper!
Thanks! And to anwer your question in the PM, there's a whole thread out there; Shine up those Mafac Racers.

For me it was Sonic cleaner > 280 grit > 600 grit > car polish > car wax.

They have been holding up pretty well but there is a bit of fly rust on the bolts that hold the padholders.

Have fun.